Are you planning to start a family? Are you aware how your Cervical Mucus (CM) can seriously affect your future plans to have a baby?
Read on to know more about cervical mucus. Learn in this article how you can monitor and boost its quality to ensure that ‘good news’ is around the corner for you!
What Is Ovulation?
Ovulation is the process of release and transfer of a mature egg from the ovaries to the Fallopian tubes. Mature egg implies that the egg is ready for fertilization by a sperm. Usually, the lining of the uterus becomes thicker while preparing itself for fertilization. If fertilization fails the reproductive system, it sheds the unfertilized egg along with the uterine lining during menstruation.
Cervical Mucus And Ovulation:
Understanding the quality of your cervical mucus during ovulation is rather important, as it protects and nourishes the sperm while ensuring a smooth passage for the same through the female reproductive tract to meet the egg. The quality of the cervical mucus and the manner in which it appears affect fertilization.
[ Read: How To Know When You Are Ovulating ]
What Is An Egg White Cervical Mucus (EWCM)?
Here is a list of facts about egg white cervical mucus and ovulation:
- At the time of ovulation, the estrogen hormone level spikes, resulting in a larger production of the cervical mucus.
- Egg white cervical mucus is the fertile fluid the cervix produces at the time of ovulation.
- It is the perfect fluid to catalyze fertilization.
Monitoring Cervical Mucus During Ovulation:
Now that you know, the kind of mucus to watch out for before trying to get pregnant, you need to do a close inspection of the same.
- The best way is to monitor the appearance and the texture of the mucus on the fertile days.
- In order to do this, you have to feel the sample of your mucus with your fingers.
- Thoroughly wash your hands and insert your middle finger into your vagina.
- Try to get your finger inside as close to the cervix as possible.
- Once you feel the mucus, remove the same with your finger.
- Roll the mucus between the thumb and index finger.
- Press both the fingers together and move them apart to see how far the mucus stretches.
Appearance Of The Cervical Mucus When Ovulating:
The production of the cervical fluid is highest during ovulation, and it will have the following characteristics:
- Egg white in color
Once you identify the following signs in your mucus, it is the right time to try and conceive.
Understanding Hostile Cervical Mucus:
If your cervix produces thick and sticky mucus instead of a clear and stretchy one during ovulation, it is a case of hostile cervical mucus. The hostile cervical mucus does not facilitate the smooth flow of sperm into the uterus to reach the egg. You should consult your doctor if you spot the hostile cervical mucus.
Factors That Cause Hostile Cervical Mucus:
The following factors adversely affect the quality of mucus:
- Unhealthy diet
- Stressful lifestyle
- Hormonal imbalance
It is important to pay close attention to your cervical mucus at all times while you try to get pregnant. Maintain a healthy diet and lifestyle to ensure your reproductive system produces good quality cervical mucus to facilitate fertilization and conception. If you are planning a family, your gynecologist may also prescribe drugs to improve the pH levels of the mucus.
- When Do Women Get Pregnant Easily?
- When Is The Best Time To Get Pregnant?
- 20 Great Tips To Improve Your Chances Of Getting Pregnant
- 10 Foods Which Can Improve Your Chances Of Getting Pregnant
Latest posts by Deepa Balasubramanian (see all)
- 6 Useful Tips To Store Formula Milk For Your Baby - June 30, 2017
- Cervical Mucus And Ovulation - Everything You Need To Know - January 9, 2015
- Can You Ovulate More Than Once Per Month Or Cycle? - December 31, 2014
- 10 Essential Things You Should Definitely Do Before Getting Pregnant - December 30, 2014
- Chickenpox During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms, Risks & Treatments - December 30, 2014
- 7 Pros And Cons Of Getting Pregnant In Your 30s - November 26, 2014
- Is It Safe To Lose Weight During Pregnancy? - November 24, 2014
- Ototoxicity In Children - 16 Symptoms & 4 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - November 5, 2014
- Can Cough Syrup Help You Get Pregnant? - November 1, 2014
- When Should You Call The Doctor If Your Baby Has Cold, Cough Or Fever? - October 31, 2014