Is your baby in the weaning stage and do you plan to introduce new foods to your baby? Have you started your baby on fruits and want to introduce a new fruit in your baby’s diet? Have you tried giving cherries to your baby yet or want to try it out now?
If you are thinking of introducing cherries to your baby, read on to know how you can make its puree and the various health benefits of cherry puree for baby.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Cherries For Baby?
As with any new food that you introduce to your baby, it is important to first speak to your baby’s doctor before introducing cherries too. You can start giving your baby cherries from around the age of eight months, once your doctor gives the go ahead.
Cherries are little delicious fruits and extremely sweet. They are loaded with calcium, and even one cup of cherries contains about 20 mg of calcium! Cherries are loaded with powerful antioxidants like cyanidin and anthocyanins that offer various health benefits. Sweet cherries are also high on vitamin C, carotenoids and fiber, all of which can prevent cancer in later years. Cherries contain melatonin which aids in good sleep. Eating cherries also lowers the risk of stroke and other heart related ailments in later years.
Nutritional Chart For Cherries:
Here is a quick look at the nutritional chart for cherries for babies:
How To Make Cherry Puree For Baby:
Here are a few recipe ideas to help you make cherry puree for your baby:
1. Simple Cherry Puree:
- ½ pound cherries
- 1 cup of water
- Pit the cherries and remove their stems.
- Place them in a pan and cover with the water.
- Let it boil and then simmer for another 10 to 20 minutes till the cherries are tender. Let it cool and blend in a food processor.
[ Read: Fruit Purees For Babies ]
2. Cherry And Apple Puree:
- 1 cup cherries
- 3 medium peeled and diced apples
- A dash of vanilla essence – optional
- 1 cup of water
- Pit the cherries and remove the stems.
- Place the fruits in a pan and cover them with water. If you are using the vanilla essence, add a few drops of it in the pan now.
- Let it boil. Once done, steam it gently and cook more till the cherries turn tender.
- Once it is cool, puree in a blender.
3. Cherry Puree With Oatmeal:
- 1 ½ cup of cooked oatmeal cereal
- 1/4th cup of cherry puree
- Mix the oatmeal cereal and the cherries together.
- Stir them thoroughly or blend in a food processor.
[ Read: Plum Recipes For Babies ]
4. Cherry Puree With Banana:
- 1/4th cup of cherry puree
- 2 small bananas
- Place the bananas in a bowl and mash them properly using the back of a spoon.
- Add the cherry puree and mix it well. You can mix them well using a spoon or do it in a blender.
[ Read: Peach Purees For Babies ]
5. Cherry Puree With A Dash Of Cottage Cheese:
- ½ cup fresh cherries – make sure you wash them well and remove the stems
- 1 cup of cottage cheese
- Place the cherries in a microwave safe bowl and heat them for about 30 seconds. Add them in a food processor and blend till they turn smooth.
- Add the pureed cherries over cottage cheese and serve to your baby.
- As a variation, you can also serve the cherry puree on cheese slices.
6. Cherry Puree With Sweet Potato:
- 1/4thcup of cherry puree
- 1 small peeled and diced sweet potato
- Steam the sweet potatoes till they are entirely tender. Alternatively, you can also bake them in the oven for about 60 minutes.
- Mash the sweet potato and mix with the cherry puree.
Try out these different cherry purees and let your baby enjoy the goodness of its many health benefits. Do tell us in the comments below which recipes your baby loved best.
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016