The birth of a baby always comes with lots of responsibilities. As a lactating mother, you need to keep a watchful eye on your daily nutritional intake and the food you eat.
Among other things, you may be wondering whether taking Chia seeds during breastfeeding enhance your breast milk production? Will it have any adverse impact on your nursing baby? Well, to find out more about Chia seeds and its effects on your newborn, read below! We, at Momjunction, have put up relevant information about how Chia seeds can help throughout your lactation phase!
What Are Chia Seeds?
The Chia plant belongs to the mint family and grows in Southern Mexico (desert region). The seeds contain a high percentage of fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids. In the pre-Columbian diet, Chia seeds were a crucial part the daily diet menu. Due to the high nutritional value, it is quite safe for the nursing mothers, but it is good to seek medical advice before including the seeds in your menu (1).
Is It Safe To Eat Chia Seeds While Breastfeeding?
You can safely take the nutrient-dense seeds during your lactation phase. As the seeds are 100 percent organic and comprise healthy nutrients and minerals, they can enhance your breast milk production and help you feed your little one. Also regarded as a super food for a breastfeeding mother, the vitamin rich Chia seeds serve as an excellent dietary supplement. The natural food cannot impose any potential side-effects to your health, or to your baby.
[ Read: Fennel During Breastfeeding ]
Health Benefits Of Chia Seeds For Breastfeeding Mothers:
Chia seeds serve as a rich source of calcium, fatty oils, fiber, protein, vitamins, and anti-oxidants. The healthy nutrients aid in proper brain development of your baby. The food also enhances your breast milk production rate naturally.
Here are some of the positive aspects of taking Chia seeds during breastfeeding:
- Proteins serve as the building blocks of healthy tissues and new cells. You need to consume an adequate quantity of Chia seeds during lactation, as it aids in healthy development of your baby’s organs and cells.
- Proteins also play an integral role in repairing the damaged cells.
- Chia seeds contain plant proteins, which you can digest easily.
- Intake of plant proteins produces less toxic wastes in your body, as compared to animal proteins.
- During lactation, you can digest the plant proteins and get rid of all your unwanted toxins from the body.
Essential Fatty Acids:
- Omega-3-fatty acid plays a pivotal role in the healthy development of your baby’s immune and nervous system.
- It also helps in proper brain development of your little one.
- Taking one to two tablespoons of Chia seeds regularly can make a huge difference in your life, and it can make your baby grow as a witty child.
- Regular intake of Chia seeds also regulates blood cholesterol level and helps you get rid of excess pounds and inflammation problems.
[ Read: Beans While Breastfeeding ]
- One teaspoon of Chia seeds supplies one-third of the daily recommended dosage of dietary fiber to your body.
- The fibers help in regulating a healthy digestive functioning, and you can overcome the problems of constipation or IBS.
- Your body needs sufficient amount of calcium for healthy bone and teeth development of your baby.
- Additionally, it helps in improving nerve functioning of your little one.
- Some of the healthy minerals in Chia seeds include magnesium, phosphorous, and manganese.
- Intake of healthy minerals during breastfeeding can minimize your risk of having hypertension.
- The minerals help in boosting your metabolic rate, and you can attain a healthy body weight after your childbirth (2).
[ Read: Foods To Avoid While Breastfeeding ]
How To Consume Chia Seeds While Breastfeeding:
There are different ways in which you can intake Chia seeds. You can either eat them as whole or make a fine powder to prepare homemade bread. You can also soak them in plain water and consume it as a health drink.
Have you eaten Chia seeds while nursing? Were there any positive effects of the super food on you and your baby? Let us know more about it here!
- 25 Best Foods To Increase Breast Milk
- 4 Amazingly Different Ways You Can Use Fenugreek During Your Lactation Period
- Is It Safe To Eat Peanuts While Breastfeeding?
- How And When To Use A Nipple Shield
Latest posts by RIA SAHA (see all)
- How to Show respect to your husband: 13 fundamental things you should try - August 24, 2017
- 13 Practical Ways To Respect Your Husband - July 11, 2017
- What Women Want In A Relationship: 30+ Things You Should know - July 10, 2017
- Diet Plans For Overweight Pregnant Women - Everything You Need To Know - June 30, 2017
- 12 Common Complications Associated With Twin Pregnancy - June 30, 2017
- Hepatitis During Pregnancy: Types, Causes, And Treatment - May 11, 2017
- You Have Different Breastmilk For Your Daughter And Son - June 6, 2016
- How To Be A Good Husband - A Definite Guide - May 30, 2016
- 10 Delicious Non-Alcoholic Cocktails Recipes For Kids - May 27, 2016
- 8 Spectacular Nail Art Designs For Teens - May 24, 2016