With hundreds of brands and types of strollers available in the market today, the choice is indeed confusing.
In most stores, the salesman will explain the salient features of each stroller and probably veer you to the most expensive one. Chances are that he will not really ask you what you really want the baby stroller to do for you!
How To Choose The Right Stroller For Your Baby:
Buying a stroller is lot like buying a car, while safety always comes first. Your decision should be primarily based on how you would like to use the stroller, what features you would want it to have and how comfortable it is for your baby and you. Also, you may need to be assured of a match between your ideal stroller and your budget.
Here are a few pointers and questions to keep in mind before you step out to buy stroller for baby.
[ Read: Baby Products ]
While choosing a stroller, you need to check for the safety features.
- Ensure the harness has a five point system, to keep your baby strapped on well.
- Cushions on the harness would make it more comfortable for your baby.
- Look for pinch points where your baby could jam her tiny fingers or toes, you don’t want a stroller in which your baby keeps getting stuck.
Another safety feature to keep an eye out for are brakes or wheel locking system. When you stop by to have a small conversation with a friend you just bumped into, it would be a good idea to lock those wheels!
Based on your lifestyle, understand how you would like to use your stroller:
For Walks On Roads:
Look for strollers with sturdy air-filled wheels with good shock absorbers and well-cushioned seats. You may end up with a bulkier stroller but so long as it keeps your baby well cushioned. You can also jog every day AND get your baby to breathe some fresh air!
On Occasional Trips To The Mall:
For that occasional shopping trip to the mall, it would be best to look for a stroller, which is compact, folds easily and most importantly fits into your car boot.
[ Read: Wipro Baby Products ]
What features would you like to have in your stroller?
Cushioning on seats varies from brand to brand and model to model. Explore options of deep seats to foam seats, all of which make your baby’s’ experience in the stroller pleasurable.
Strollers come with options of a baby facing her parent and a baby seeing the path ahead. Some don’t allow switching, while others have the flexibility. If you want to have an eye on your baby while you take her out and have a nice chat with her, look for a stroller with a parent facing option.
If you would need to feed your baby while out on the move, a snack tray can come in handy. This is something useful for your baby to self-feed or even if you stop by somewhere and feed her.
Strollers come with a whole bunch of accessories like Sun Canopy, Rain Cover, Wind cover, Storage Basket, Pockets, Parent Tray, iPod holder, Speakers, Converts to diaper changing station, Extendable handlebar etc. Rate the ones you would like to have in order of importance and select the stroller which has the most accessories.
If you ride solo with your baby, consider one that requires only one hand to fold it down, while you hold your baby in the other. Also, the stroller needs to be lightweight for you to pick it up and pack in the car boot. Strollers which require you to separate the seat from the frame wouldn’t work for solo parent trips.
4. Comfort Factor:
Once you have ensured the stroller is safe for your baby, you as a parent also need to be comfortable pushing it around.
- Push the stroller around to check if the handlebars have a good grip and are strong.
- Check for good maneuverability around twists and turns and smaller spaces and easy access to brakes.
- Ease of changing seat positions and hood, and weight of the stroller are important things to look out for.
- Strollers are also available as entire travel systems, i.e. with a car seat and bassinet. If you do choose to buy the entire travel system, evaluate all the safety features on these as well.
[ Read: Aveeno Baby Products ]
Baby Stroller Test Drive!
Once you have narrowed down on the options of the stroller, place your baby in the stroller and test ride it as you would test ride a car. Also look at reviews online, if you see a lot of negative reviews it would be advisable to steer away from the stroller. Another option could be to try out a stroller a family member or close friend has for their baby.
Also check for callbacks on strollers, if the stroller has major safety issues, manufacturers tend to do callbacks internationally. If your stroller has been called back, it would be advisable to look for another model.
A stroller is a parent’s best friend, because it makes life easier and teaches your child to enjoy the great outdoors with independence and comfort. Hope this article will make it a little easier for you to shop for a stroller.
In the section below, do share your thoughts on how to shop for the best baby strollers!
- 9 Essential Tips To Follow While Travelling With Your Baby
- 9 Simple Steps To Make Train Travel Safe For You And Your Baby
- 10 Best Aveeno Products For Your Baby
Latest posts by Trupti Gupte Ram (see all)
- Top 10 Tips For A Great Maternity Photo Shoot - August 20, 2014
- Top 10 Tips To Take Care Of Your Skin And Hair Post Pregnancy - August 12, 2014
- 4 Best Online Free Baby Photo & Video Journals You Can Use - July 22, 2014