If you are looking for some fun clay crafts for preschoolers and kids, we’ve got you covered. In this post, we list some amazing ones that parents can engage a child in and help them expand their creative skills.
Clay or play dough is a huge hit among children as they are satisfying to touch and play with. Yes, it’s messy, but molding clay to make different shapes and colorful toys is quite therapeutic as well. So, if you would like to nurture your child’s imagination, help them learn clay modeling, improve their motor skills, and keep them busy on vacations, here is a list of some fun clay craft activities you can engage your children in.
Easy And Interesting Clay Crafts For Kids
Here are a few ideas on different types of crafts that your preschooler can try and make using clay:
1. Clay Earthworm:
- Ask your kid to draw a big leaf on a green shade of chart paper.
- Now let your kid roll some small spheres using two different shades of clay. Your kid can either use the red and violet shade of clay as is shown in the image or use a contrasting shade of green and brown, whatever he prefers.
- Once your kid finishes making the small balls, ask him to attach the balls to each other. Make sure he follows an alternating color pattern while sticking the balls to each other.
- Make sure that the earthworm fits inside the leaf.
- Tell him to attach a pair of eyes and two small sticks with small clay rounds on the tips to make the antenna. This is a simple clay craft ideas for kids to enjoy with clay.
2. Clay Star Ornaments:
- To make some interesting Christmas ornaments, your kid can try using some baking-safe craft clay.
- Show him how to mix two different shades of clay to make a sphere or use a single color. Flatten the ball and cut in into a star shape with a cookie cutter.
- Help him bake the star clay shapes as per the instructions and hang on the Christmas tree once cool.
3. Clay Leaves:
- Ask your kid to collect some big leaves from the garden or the park, and help to clean them up.
- Roll out some baking-safe clay let your kids take imprints of the leaves on the clay.
- Ask them to use glitter or metallic paint shades to paint the clay imprint.
- Bake the clay to make some beautiful, sturdy leaf shapes. It can be the best clay craft for kids to play and make leaves with clay.
4. Clay Angry Birds:
- Ask your kid to roll some balls using red or brown clay. Show him how to pinch the red shape at the top to make the ball oval.
- Next, ask your kid to make tufts of hair and eyebrows with the help of black clay. Your kid will use yellow clay to make the nose.
- Once everything is in place, your kid can attach a pair of googly eyes to complete the angry birds. This is an interesting and easy clay crafts for kids of all age groups.
5. Bowl Of Sweets:
- Help your kid make a ball with the help of any bright colored clay. Next, make a hollow in the ball to mold it into a bowl.
- Let your kid make more ball shapes using yellow clay and place them in the clay bowl.
- To make it look realistic, your kid can also create slight dents in the yellow clay balls using a pencil.
6. Happy Birthday Cake:
- Let your kid make a big round shape with yellow clay and roll it out into a larger circle to make the base of the cake.
- Next, help your kid roll out blue clay and set it on the yellow clay to form a border.
- Now ask your kid to make a big round shape using red clay and slightly flatten it to get the body of the cake.
- Decorate it on the top with the similar blue clay bordering and some rolled out flowers and leaves using red and green clay. This is a fun and simple clay crafts for kids to make a clay birthday cake.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the three hand-building techniques of clay?
Pinch pottery, coil building, and slab building are the three hand-building techniques used to form different pottery types without using the pottery wheel (1).
2. Why is clay modeling important for kids?
Clay modeling involves using hands, i.e., fingers and palms, to model the clay in different shapes. Involving children in clay modeling can help bolster their fine and gross motor skills. Also, it can hone their cognitive abilities, such as creativity and problem-solving. Above all, clay modeling allows children to express their thoughts and feelings through representations (2).
3. What is clay for children made of?
Clay for children generally comes in two forms – polymer and air-dry and is made of ingredients that are non-toxic and kid-friendly. You can try making molding clay at home using different materials, such as flour or cornstarch.
Making crafts with clay and playing with them helps develop your child’s fine motor skills and helps keep them entertained. These clay crafts for preschoolers and kids will allow you to introduce your child to the various exciting and fun stuff that will help tap into their imaginative side and let them get creative with their ideas. They could also add decorative ornaments to these clay crafts and make them more attractive. But ensure that you keep them supervised at all times so that they do not put anything into their mouth.
Infographic: How Playing With Clay Can Be Useful For Children
Rolling, punching, molding, and squishing are some fun tasks that children can do with a lump of clay. But did you know that it could also assist your child’s development? This infographic explores the perks of playing with clay for children.
- Handbuilding Techniques.
- Play with clay.