Picnic ideas for couples can offer relief from stressful work schedules and household chores. These ideas need not be elaborate and can be as simple as going to a zoo or chilling out by the pool at a resort. Picnics allow couples to spend quality time with each other and forget work and home responsibilities.
Summers can be a great time for picnics; the beautiful blue sky, fluffy white clouds, chirping birds, and the bright sun create a perfect setting. Read on for some fun tips and tricks for a picnic date.
How To Plan A Romantic Picnic?
Picnics are a great idea for a romantic date with your partner. Here are some tips and tricks to follow to have a memorable and beautiful.
- Choosing the best location for your picnic is important—a place with a secluded spot where you and your partner can enjoy some time together. If you are planning a daytime picnic, make sure the place has some shade. However, if you want to go all-in for your picnic date, choose a location that has barbecuing spots or picnic tables.
- Once you have decided on the location, pick a convenient time. Check the weather forecast beforehand, as you would not want the rain to dampen your plans.
- On the day of the picnic, choose a comfortable dress to wear. Do not wear anything that restricts you from enjoying your picnic. Don’t forget to carry a picnic rug or blanket along with all the essential cutleries.
What To Bring On A Picnic Date?
Keep the romantic outing as simple as possible. But remember to carry essentials to make your picnic satisfying.
- Pack a picnic basket with essential items such as plates, glasses, mason jars, wine glasses, spoons, Ziplock pouches, paper napkins, and a corkscrew.
- Pick a rug or a blanket. You may even carry a vase to put flowers in it for aesthetic purposes.
- Take a cooler to keep your mocktails or wine chilled. You also do not want to keep any perishable food items out in the sun for too long.
- You can make a charcuterie board with an assortment of dry fruits and nuts, cured meats, a variety of cheese, along with some berries and fruits of your choice.
- Carry an extra set of clothes because you never know when you might need them.
23+ Romantic Picnic Ideas For Couples
Location Ideas For A Romantic Picnic
- Park: A beautiful scenic park is a good choice where you can take a thick outdoor blanket, along with some comfortable cushions. Find an undisturbed spot where you and your beloved can enjoy your time.
- Yard/Vineyard: A lush green yard or a scenic and quaint vineyard is a lovely place to spend time with your love. A picturesque backdrop lets you enjoy nature and make you feel blissful with your partner—something that you often find in fairytales.
- Mountain: Enjoy nature as the warm sun touches you, and the hint of cold mountain breeze makes you want to wrap your blanket around yourself. You can also go on an adventurous hike together.
- Sunset spot: Embark on a romantic bike ride and let yourself fall into a reverie as you enjoy the sunset with the one you adore and see the sky change colors from brilliant orange to the lightest of pinks and a hint of purple.
- Lake/River/Creek: If you want to hear the sound of soothing water, choose a location near a lake where you can see ducks and swans accompanied by a beautiful view. In addition, you may indulge in activities like kite-flying or fishing, or simply spend the evening engaging in storytelling, creating a memorable and enchanting experience together.
- Backyard: If you and your beloved do not feel like venturing out, set up a picnic in your backyard, garden balcony, or patio. Enjoy your pleasant time with the sunlight peeping through the trees, relishing chocolate-filled croissants or s’mores, sipping on iced tea, and enjoying the fragrance of blooming flowers. You can also play some lawn games.
- Indoor picnic: Sometimes, the weather may not be on your side and ruin your plans of having a fun day at the park. Worry not, as you can still have a picnic indoors. Spread a blanket in your living room and chill at home with your partner. Instead of watching TV, play some good old board games. You may even read a book together. Stay away from all electronic gadgets to have an authentic outdoor picnic experience.
- Beach picnic: On a hot summer’s day, the beach is the place to beat the heat and get an exotic golden tan. Pack some homemade sandwiches, tasty fruit juices, and a book to read or a game to play. And don’t forget to generously slather on sunscreen for some sun protection.
Decor Ideas For A Romantic Picnic
- Flowers: Pick sunflowers, daisies, or lilies—anything you like. It sets the romantic mood and adds to the aesthetic.
- Rug/Thick blanket: A beautiful rug or a cozy blanket would be a great addition to your intimate setting.
- Fairy lights/Lanterns: If you plan to have a picnic watching the sunset, adding fairy lights or lanterns gives a whimsical touch. They are battery-operated, which makes them hassle-free.
- Flower jars: Pick some fresh flowers and put them in a jar. Use ribbons to hang the jars from the branches of a tree to make a beautiful backdrop.
- Picnic baskets: If you follow the cottage core aesthetic, choosing a picnic basket is important to fit the theme.
- Edible greenery: Adding oranges, grapes, and apples as edible decor is a great way to finish the picnic setup.
- Scented candles: A scented candle can fill your space with a soothing fragrance. Place it in a mason jar and on the center of your mat.
- Portable speakers: Some soft romantic music in the background can enhance your picnic experience. Try playing instrumentals of your favorite songs.
- Balloons: Decorating your picnic space with red, pink, and white color balloons can add to its aesthetic appeal. If possible, try to get heart-shaped balloons.
Drink Ideas For A Romantic Picnic
- Mocktails and flavored water: Make lemonade or delicious mocktails with summer fruits. For flavored water, use strawberries, cucumber, lemon, and crushed mint leaves. Serve them in mason jars, and your go-to summer drink for your romantic picnic date is ready.
- Warm drinks: If you are planning a picnic in the mountains, what better way to warm yourself up than a cup of hot chocolate or tea. You could even add dark rum, bourbon, or scotch into your hot drink to warm you up.
- Champagne/Wine: If you plan a daytime picnic, going for rosé or white wine would be a good choice. However, if you are having a picnic by the beach to watch the sunset, the perfect accompaniment would be a bottle of sparkling wine.
- Fruit juice: Sandwiches taste even better with fresh fruit juice. For a short picnic at the park, prepare your favorite fruit juice. Make a mix of fruit juices that will quench your thirst and refresh you.
Picnic Food Ideas For Couples
- Healthy food: Picnic foods don’t have to stay limited to cheese and crackers. You may consider food items such as sushi, sandwiches, pasta salads, a bento box with home-cooked food, and jam with toasted bread.
- Snacks: You may also pack light snacks such as tacos, nachos with various dips, scones and creams, and pasta. Pack food according to the amount of time you plan to spend outdoors.
8 Couple Games For Picnic
To keep yourself entertained, indulge in different games with your partner.
24. Romantic scavenger hunt
Play scavenger hunt with a romantic twist to it. Instead of writing official rules, leave cute notes that lead your partner to a surprise gift you planned.
25. Paper origami
Bring some colorful paper and make origami with it. You may watch YouTube videos to help yourself. To make it more fun, you and your partner can challenge each other and time yourself. Whoever makes the most wins. In the end, you will have some beautifully crafted origami.
26. Board games
Board games never go out of trend. It’s fun and a great way to pass the time. Whether it’s Scrabble, Codenames: Duet, or the fox in the forest—each of them is unique and you will have fun.
This classic and beloved card game never goes out of style. The best part about this is it can be played between two people too. So, shuffle those cards and start playing, and once you do, you cannot get enough of it.
The goal of the game is simple and clear—buy as many properties as you can. When you have more of the same-colored properties, your opponent would have to pay you rent.
29. Picnic bingo
Playing picnic bingo is simple. Create bingo cards with items you will most likely spot at your picnic location. For instance, you may see a bird, a dog, or a swing at a park. The first person to spot and tick off all the items on their card wins.
30. Guess the song
It’s a simple game with no equipment. Simply hum a song and ask your partner to guess it. Or they can even guess the singer or musician of that song. If they cannot guess the song, you can sing two random lines from the song to make it easy for them.
Playing with a frisbee is a great way to spend your picnic and get active. Each time someone misses the catch, the other person should get a chance to ask a truth-based question to make it more entertaining. Keep the questions lighthearted and fun.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What to talk about at a couple picnic?
Here are a few things that you could help your start a free flowing conversation while you are on your romantic picnic:
- Where did you last go for a picnic and when?
- What, according to you, is the ideal meal spread for a picnic?
- Tell me about your favorite vacation experience
- Would you rather travel back in time or to the future?
- What personal accomplishments are you proud of?
- What are your bucket list plans?
- What are your favorite outdoor activities?
2. What do couples do on a night picnic?
Couples can indulge in a host of activities during a night picnic. From setting up the ambiance with lights, blankets, and pillows, to putting up a tent, they can first set the tone for a romantic night. Once they settle, they can have drinks, take a stroll, reflect upon their beautiful memories together, talk about life, enjoy an outdoor movie, and whisper sweet nothings in each other’s ears. Also, they can spend the night star gazing and enjoy nature by spending time in each other’s arms.
3. How can a couple benefit from spending quality time together in a natural setting during a picnic?
Spending time in nature promotes relaxation and reduces stress. It helps the couple disconnect from daily distractions and deepen their connections through uninterrupted and meaningful conversations. The calm atmosphere and shared experiences help create cherished memories and have a pleasant time together.
4. How can a couple create a cozy and intimate ambiance during their picnic?
On a warm summer’s day, couples can bring comfortable mats and pillows to rest on the fresh grass. They can carry books to read together or speakers to enjoy calming music. They can choose a shady and secluded spot near the lake or any water body. Carrying delicious home-cooked meals can add to the cozy and intimate picnic atmosphere.
A romantic picnic can be a perfect escape from your hectic life as you enjoy your partner’s company. The idea of sitting by a lake or on a hill watching the sunset with each other or swaying on a hammock near a campfire can give you butterflies. But it has to be perfect with the right location, food, and entertainment to be the most memorable. So fret not and take help from the above-mentioned amazing picnic ideas for couples and make the most of your special time with your loved one.
Infographic: What To Bring On A Picnic Date?
Going on dates with your partner allows you to have some intimate and romantic time with each other and keep the spark alive. So, if you plan to go on a picnic date, we are here to help you with a list of things you should carry. Give a read to the following infographic and save it, so you don’t miss the fun.
- You can arrange a romantic couple picnic at a park, sunset point or use your backyard.
- Take some flowers and fairy lights to decorate the place and set up the mood.
- Read on for food, drinks, and game ideas to make your picnic date a grand success.