There can be nothing better than taking your kids out in the open and letting them enjoy nature. Being outdoors is one of the greatest joys of childhood, and it can surely create some great moments for both you and your kid.
Gardening is a very healthy activity that teaches kids about healthy living, eating organic and getting close to nature. It is a long term project that engages your kids to work patiently and with full dedication.
Which Plants Attract Children?
Kids usually get attracted towards bright color and big things. Also, they get bored and discouraged easily, so the first gardening experience should be fun and fruitful.
Make a kid-size garden for the little ones to handle easily. Start out with wild flowers. They are of various colors and are easily available in the market. They also look good in small colored pots.
Here are some choices of plants for your kids to start their gardening expedition with:
- Wild Strawberries
Besides being fun and educational, it can help your kid develop a sensory experience which will help them to connect with the world. Your child learns to use his senses from birth. With gardening activities, your child will soon connect the world through feeling, observing, touching and more.
[ Read: Sensory Activities For Kids ]
Things Which Develop Sensory Inputs:
The following activities while gardening will help develop sensory inputs in your child:
- Touching and rubbing various plants and flowers
- Touching soil, worms and such
- Picking flowers
- Harvesting home grown vegetables
- Digging holes
- Carrying pots
Top 10 Fun Gardening Activities For Kids:
Here are some fun filled activities. Do let your kid pick out the best one and don’t worry about them getting dirty or pulling out worms and plants.
1. Watering Plants:
It is the most basic of all gardening activities.
- It can be easily accomplished by children of almost all ages.
- Get your child a cute watering can. These you can easily get from any departmental stores.
- Fix a time or day for watering.
2. Cleaning Garden:
It is important that you teach your kid to clean the garden.
- This will help to make the atmosphere hygienic.
- You can buy some good child rake to clear out dead leaves and flowers from the garden.
3. Pulling Wild plant:
Teach your child to pull weeds from the flower beds.
- Weeds make the garden look dirty and have no use.
- Educate your kid on various kinds of wild plant and the ways to remove them.
4. Picking Fruits Or Vegetables:
This is one of the most favorite of all times.
- Children love picking fruits and vegetables from their home garden.
- You can make them get involved in the kitchen too, to make some delicious food, pickles or jellies.
5. Composting The Soil:
Teach your children the process of composting soil.
- Teach them the significance of rich organic soil.
- Tell them how good soil helps plants grow quickly.
6. Build Bird Feeder:
Make a bird feeder with your kid with old plastic bottles.
- Drill holes in it and keep food for the birds.
- This will encourage birds to visit your garden regularly and your kid too will start appreciating nature, and grow a love for birds.
[ Read: Healthy Habits For Kids ]
7. Learn About Insects:
Let your children learn about insects.
- A pair of magnifying glass would be helpful.
- This will surely help them to get over their fear of bugs.
8. Paint The Pots:
Let your child color the pots.
- This will make the garden look bright and colorful.
- Decorating pot encourages your kid in art and design.
9. Fairy Garden:
Let imagination drive your kids wild.
- Ask them to make a fairy garden with color pebbles, sticks, shells and pots.
- You would be amazed to see their face lit up with joy.
[ Read: Summer Craft Ideas For Kids ]
10. Color The Rocks:
Color can play a great role in brightening up your garden.
- Ask your kid to color various rocks.
- Let them dry and then arrange them near your flower pots.
Make Gardening More Enjoyable:
Here are some quick ways to let your kid enjoy gardening:
- Give your kid her own space to enjoy the dirt.
- Let your child have some knowledge and learn things on her own.
- Buy kid size tools for your little ones.
Do let them plant seeds and seedling, you will be amazed to find out how eager they are to see the first sprout popping up from the ground.
These were some of the simplest yet fun children gardening activities that you can let your kid indulge in. If you have any other interesting garden art activities for kids in your mind, do share your story with us.
- 10 Cool House Crafts That Will Keep Your Kid Busy
- 25 Ways To Inculcate Good Habits In Your Children
- Top 10 Healthy Habits You Should Teach Your Kids
Latest posts by Sudeshna GuhaSarkar (see all)
- Lead Poisoning In Children – Causes, Symptoms And Treatment - January 5, 2015
- 5 Steps To Give A Sponge Bath To Your Baby - January 2, 2015
- 10 Precautions To Take While Co-Sleeping With Your Newborn - December 30, 2014
- Ringworm In Children - Causes, Symptoms And Remedies - December 30, 2014
- The Influence of Negative and Positive Parenting on Children - December 29, 2014
- Motion Sickness During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - November 26, 2014
- 10 Health Benefits Of Chickpeas For Babies - October 27, 2014
- 4 Effective Natural Remedies To Soothe Sunburns In Kids - October 21, 2014
- 3 Amazing Ways To Include Tulsi During Pregnancy - October 7, 2014
- 6 Benefits Of Breastfeeding While Having Diabetes - September 30, 2014