Babies are very sensitive. Post delivery every parent’s paramount importance is to take additional care about their baby’s health and well-being.
Croup is one such disease which affects only infants and babies who are in the age group of 6 months to 3 years. It is a respiratory illness and starts with a viral infection. Croup can be sometimes mild, which can be easily treated at home; or it can be severe, which requires hospitalization. Normally, it takes a week’s time to recover, but passing those days becomes painful for your child as well as you.
What Causes Croup In Babies?
Most commonly croup starts with a simple viral infection like influenza:
- At first, nose and throat get affected.
- After that, along with flu symptoms, there might be some swelling of the larynx, the voice box, and also near the wind pipe.
- This swelling disables the lungs in receiving proper air, and thus leads to breathing problems.
- This eventually leads to excessive coughing and hoarseness in the throat.
- You will find that it usually occurs more in winters and tends to aggravate more during the evening or night times.
What Are The Symptoms Of Croup Disease?
Those children affected by mild or moderate croup may show the following symptoms:
- Runny nose
- Mild to high fever
- Barking cough
- Hoarse voice
- Noisy and heavy breathing
- Reddish eyes
When the child is highly affected by croup, he may show the following symptoms along with the ones described above:
- Difficulty in swallowing food
- Labored breathing
- Bluish color around mouth
- Severe coughing spells
- Unable to speak
- Fatigued and agitated appearance
When the croup symptoms in babies show severity, it is advised not to delay, and opt for hospitalization.
[ Read : Gray Baby Syndrome ]
How To Treat Your Baby When He Is Suffering From Croup?
When there are symptoms of mild croup, you can treat him at home with easy remedies. Below mentioned are tips on croup treatment for babies:
- It is suggested that breathing in moist air can help the adverse conditions of croup.
- You can fill the bathroom with the steam of hot water and let your baby breath there. It can help in reducing dryness in the throat. Doing this for 10 minutes will give him much needed relief.
2. Avoid Getting Panicked:
- It is very essential that you keep yourself and your kid calm.
- Do not bring up any situation where baby starts crying.
- Always soothe him and be with him to give support whenever needed.
3. Hydration Is Essential:
- It is necessary that your baby takes enough fluids to keep his body hydrated.
- A dehydrated body can aggravate the situation.
- Offer him some fluids to drink every few hours.
4. Medicines Do Not Help:
- In this illness, over-the-counter medicines will not do any good.
- So avoid giving any congestion reliever or other medicines as your baby is too young for them.
- If he develops fever, then you can give mild proportions of medicine to let the fever subside.
5. Ensure Proper Sleep:
- During this illness your baby will find difficulty in sleeping and become restless.
- So sing lullabies and soothe him as much as you can to make him sleep.
- Also see to it that he maintains an upright position while sleeping otherwise he may face heavy difficulty in sleeping.
6. Keep Smokers At Bay:
- Smoke from cigarettes can prove fatal for your little ones. So make sure that no one at the home smokes.
- Also when your baby is out, he should be kept completely away from smoke.
In Case Of Severe Croup:
When your baby is affected by severe croup, then it is necessary to hospitalize him and make sure about the following things:
- Humidified oxygen should be provided.
- Your baby should be hydrated.
- It is essential to keep a constant check on his breathing and heart rate.
- His skin color should be monitored, so that it does not turn into pale blue.
[ Read : Severe Combined Immunodeficiency In Infants ]
Disease like croup in babies can create difficult situation, therefore always ensure hygiene practices and proper sanitation around him.
We hope you find this information useful. If you have other better ways to treat this ailment do share with us by commenting below.
References : 1
- ‘Transient Tachypnea Of The Newborn’ –5 Symptoms & 5 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 12 Serious Symptoms Of Scarlet Fever In Babies & Toddlers
- Hirschsprung Disease In Children – Everything You Need To Know
- Sandifer’s Syndrome In Babies – Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatments
Latest posts by Palak Shah (see all)
- Gonorrhea During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - January 2, 2015
- Is It Safe To Donate Blood While Breastfeeding? - December 31, 2014
- Kitchen Safety For Kids - Rules And Tips You Need To Know - December 31, 2014
- 4 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Insect Bites In Babies/Infants - December 26, 2014
- 4 Health Benefits Of Wheat For Your Baby - November 27, 2014
- 7 Effective Tips On Making Your Restless Baby Sleep - October 10, 2014
- 5 Remedies To Get Rid Of Clumsiness During Pregnancy - October 7, 2014
- How Does Caffeine Affect Fertility In Men And Women? - September 29, 2014
- Infertility Treatment - Zygote Intrafallopian Transfer (ZIFT) - September 29, 2014
- 4 Amazing Benefits Of Vitamin B For Kids - September 17, 2014