Numbness or tingling during pregnancy is one of the common symptoms you might experience. It is an unusual prickling sensation in your hands, arms, legs, and feet, and you will mostly have it in the night and the morning after you wake up. It happens when you have been in the same position for a longtime, or due to the swelling in your body that presses on nerves (due to carpal tunnel syndrome), or due to the stretched out belly.
In some cases, numbness could be a symptom of anemia or sciatica. Whatever is the cause, if the numbness affects you repeatedly or progresses for a long time, you should contact your doctor to ensure it is not a serious issue (1).
Before you see a doctor, you may follow some homecare measures. They can help you feel better.
What Should You Do to Cure Numbness In Hands During Pregnancy?
The numbness in hand during pregnancy is because of the pressure being laid on your joints. Sometimes, the pain is caused by carpal tunnel syndrome, which will suddenly develop during your pregnancy.
- You can cure this numbness by wearing a hand or wrist splint at night. This will ensure that your hands and feet stay immobile, so that you don’t end up bending your hand or wrist in a way that would hurt it.
- The hand splint also makes sure that you don’t lie on your arm, cutting off blood supply to this part of your body.
[ Read: Body Changes During Pregnancy ]
What Should You Do to Cure Numbness In Feet During Pregnancy?
If there is some numbness in your legs or feet, here is what you need to be doing:
- Start lying down on your left side.
- As long as you are pregnant, you should avoid lifting weights heavier than 5 or 10 pounds, if you are suffering from numbness.
- When you feel like resting, sit up, don’t lie down. Lying down can increase the chances of you feeling numbness in your legs.
- In case you are exercising during your pregnancy, you should check to see if the exercise is causing the numbness. After your work out, check to see if you feel the numbness. If your legs get numb more often when you are exercising than when you are not, you should stop that particular exercise.
[ Read: Mood Swings During Pregnancy ]
When To Go To The Doctor?
If you are feeling numbness in your legs or hands, you can follow the above methods while trying to treat them. However, there are no ways to treat stomach numbness during pregnancy. There are some creams that can help you with the same. Make sure you get in touch with your doctor before you start applying these creams.
Most of this numbness will pass immediately after you deliver. If your numbness usually stars suddenly, and is severe in nature, you should talk to your healthcare provider, who will be able to provide you with the right medication.
Take care and be safe. Also don’t forget to share your experiences on numbness in early pregnancy with us.
- 25 Effective Tips To Prevent Pains And Cramps During Pregnancy
- Top 10 Useful Tips To Reduce Swelling During Pregnancy
- How to Prevent Leg Cramps During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Maanasi (see all)
- List Of 20 Best Schools In Nagpur City - April 25, 2016
- 25 Fun Facts And Information About Monkey For Kids - April 11, 2016
- 30 Top CBSE Schools In India For Your Kid - March 31, 2016
- 20 Top And Best Schools In Kanpur - March 31, 2016
- 20 Top And Best Schools In Indore - March 31, 2016
- List Of 20 Best CBSE Schools In Pune - March 23, 2016
- List Of 29 Best Schools In Delhi - March 23, 2016
- 30 Top And Best International Schools In India - March 18, 2016
- 25 Unknown Wolf Facts And Information For Kids - March 15, 2016
- List Of Top 15 CBSE Schools In Bangalore - March 14, 2016