We normally associate dark circles with office-going stressed adults. But, when your teenage daughter begins to develop wrinkles or bags or dark circles under eyes, you may feel rather anxious. And, while your teen daughter may simply be concerned with how she looks, you are probably wondering why she is facing the problem.
Well, wonder no more! Here, we look at the underlying causes and preventive measures for bags or dark lines under eyes in teenagers!
7 Causes Of Dark Circles Under Eyes In Teenagers:
Let us check out what causes dark circles under eyes:
- Any mental, emotional or physical stress can make your teen’s skin look dull.
- The stress directly affects your teen’s skin health and thus dark circles appear under her eyes as the outcome.
2. Poor Eating Habits:
- Today, most teens struggle to eat a healthy diet and are more inclined to eating junk foods.
- A high intake of oils adversely affects your teen’s skin health, and the dark circle appears beneath her eyes.
- Your teen needs to take plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, and water as it improves skin health and maintains its natural glow.
- The lack of a balanced diet is one of the prime causes of the appearance of dark circles under the eyes.
[ Read: Fashion Tips For Teens ]
- In rare cases, your teen inherits dark circles through genes.
- The skin problem attacks your teen at an early age, and it often runs in the family.
- When genetics is the underlying cause of dark circles, it cannot be treated permanently, but there are certain treatments to help to reduce the symptoms.
- Another common cause and reasons for dark circles under eyes in teenagers is allergies.
- A nasal allergy dilates the veins around your teen’s nose and makes the eye region look darker.
- Some allergies often cause itchy eyes, and your teen develops dark circles upon vigorous rubbing.
- Airborne allergies like grass pollen, polluted air and some of the other form of seasonal diseases like hay fever can cause dark circles under your teen’s eyes.
5. Sleep Deprivation:
- Lack of sleep can also trigger the formation of dark circles under your teen’s eyes.
- Consistent sleep deprivation makes your teen’s face look pale, and the eyes look darker than the normal days.
- Researchers conclude that teens have a higher tendency to suffer from chronic sleep deprivation, and, as a result, they are at a greater risk to develop dark circles the eyes.
6. Sun Exposure:
- Over exposure to the harmful UV rays leads to melanin production, and it can tan your teen’s skin.
- The production of melanin darkens your teen’s skin, the eye region appears most affected.
7. Severe Dehydration:
- Severe dehydration can cause dark circles under her eyes.
- Water is a vital element that is essential for most of the body functions like digestion, metabolism, and excretion.
- Severe dehydration can lead to sagging of the face, which often results in dark circles (1).
[ Read: Dehydration In Teens ]
6 Natural Ingredients To Treat Dark Circles In Teenagers:
Let us check out, few effective natural remedies that help in curing dark circles under eyes in teens:
1. Almond Oil:
The natural oil boosts your teen’s delicate skin, especially around the eye region. Regular application of almond oil helps in fading the dark circles.
- Before bedtime, your teen can apply a little almond oil to her dark circles and gently massage it with her fingertips.
- Leave the oil for overnight and the next morning wash it off with cold water.
- Ask your teen, to continue usage of the oil, until the dark circles completely disappear.
Cucumber possesses skin lightening and astringent properties that heal your teen’s skin health naturally. Moreover, it also has a soothing and refreshing effect.
- Cut a fresh cucumber into thin and circular slices and store them in the refrigerator for about half an hour.
- Place the chilled cucumber slices on the affected region of your teen’s eyes for about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the slices slowly and wash the eyes gently with cold water.
- Your teen can repeat the process twice daily to get desired results.
- Another method to apply cucumber includes, mixing cucumber juice with lemon juice in equal amounts and applying it using a small cotton ball.
- Leave the mixture on the eyes for 10 minutes and then wash it off gently with cold water.
- Your teen can use the cucumber juice remedy for at least once a week.
3. Rose Water:
Rose water is an effective ingredient used in numerous skin care products. It helps in rejuvenating the skin; due to its soothing and mild astringent property.
- Soak the cotton eye pads of cotton balls in pure rose water for few minutes.
- Now place the soaked cotton balls or pads onto the closed eyelids.
- Leave them for about next 10-15 minutes.
- Your teen can use this remedy twice daily, to notice visible effects.
Tomato has great bleaching and skin lightening property, which helps in reduction of dark circles under eyes effectively.
- Mix a single teaspoon of tomato juice with another one-half teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Soak a cotton dab in the mixture and apply in gently on the dark circles.
- Allow the mixture stay for about next ten minutes and then wash it off gently with cold water.
- Your teen can use the remedy twice daily and obtain best results.
5. Coconut Oil:
Massaging with coconut oil is yet one of the effective home remedies to lighten your teen’s dark circles under eyes. Coconut is popular for its moisturizing effects, and it promotes smooth skin. It also helps in preventing wrinkles and fine lines under your teen’s eyes.
- Massage a small amount of extra-virgin coconut oil around the affected region using the fingertips.
- Leave the oil for few hours and then wash it off gently with cold water.
- Repeat the process twice of thrice a day to get noticeable outcomes.
[ Read: Eye Makeup For Teens ]
6. Tea Bags:
Tea contains antioxidants that help in getting rid of dark circles and puffy eyes. The tannins help shrink the blood vessels around the eyes and reduce the fluid retention capacity.
- Chill one or two used green or black tea bag in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Place the chilled tea bag over the eyes and leave them for the next 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the tea bags slowly and wash the face.
- Your teen can use the remedy twice daily, to get optimum results.
Be careful with leaked teabags, as it can cause irritation of eyes (2).
Was your teen a victim of dark circles under eyes? How did you treat it? Share your tips here!
Latest posts by RIA SAHA (see all)
- How to Show respect to your husband: 13 fundamental things you should try - August 24, 2017
- 13 Practical Ways To Respect Your Husband - July 11, 2017
- What Women Want In A Relationship: 30+ Things You Should know - July 10, 2017
- Diet Plans For Overweight Pregnant Women - Everything You Need To Know - June 30, 2017
- 12 Common Complications Associated With Twin Pregnancy - June 30, 2017
- Hepatitis During Pregnancy: Types, Causes, And Treatment - May 11, 2017
- You Have Different Breastmilk For Your Daughter And Son - June 6, 2016
- How To Be A Good Husband - A Definite Guide - May 30, 2016
- 10 Delicious Non-Alcoholic Cocktails Recipes For Kids - May 27, 2016
- 8 Spectacular Nail Art Designs For Teens - May 24, 2016