Caffeine – the most important part of our morning routine. One may skip breakfast but not their caffeine. Most people enjoy rather savor, their cup of tea first thing in the morning. It gives them an extra boost to start their day. Caffeine dissolves fast into our bodies and kicks in energy almost instantly. It explains why we automatically reach out for a cup of coffee each time our energy hits a low during the day.
An excess of anything is bad. And the saying holds true, especially when you are pregnant. Too much caffeine can cause harm to an expecting mother. But if you love your cup of caffeine too much to give up, rejoice, there is decaf tea to save you the trauma of quitting caffeine. Read through our post and learn all about decaf tea during pregnancy – what it is, its benefits, importance, and related information.
What is Decaf Tea?
Decaf is simply your caffeine source, tea or coffee, minus the caffeine. When you opt for a decaf tea, the flavoring elements remain intact while the caffeine is either removed or reduced significantly. It means that you don’t compromise on taste while removing caffeine that may have negative effects on your pregnancy.
Why Is Too Much Caffeine Bad During Pregnancy?
Consuming high levels of caffeine during pregnancy can have negative effects on your baby. Common problems like the low birth weight are often linked to high caffeine consumption during pregnancy. Here are few other risks that you expose yourself and your baby with excessive caffeine consumption:
- Excess caffeine can harm your baby’s development during pregnancy.
- Caffeine acts on your central nervous system by acting as an instant stimulant. This, in turn, can increase your blood pressure and hence your heart rate.
- It can lead to severe dehydration.
- Health risks like miscarriages are also found to have an increased rate due to high caffeine consumption.
[ Read: Safe Herbal Teas During Pregnancy ]
Is Decaf Tea Safe During Pregnancy?
Yes, decaf tea during pregnancy is absolutely safe! It is the best way you can enjoy your share of daily caffeine but in a controlled and healthy way.
Will I Have To Give Up Caffeine Completely?
No! Although, it is best to avoid it if you can, if you cannot, you still can enjoy your tea or coffee, but in moderation.
How Much Decaf Tea Is Safe During Pregnancy?
Your total caffeine consumption in a day should not exceed 200 mg. It roughly is around two regular mugs of tea or coffee. A cup of decaf contains about 3-4 milligrams of caffeine. So adjust your caffeine intake accordingly.
It is not just your cup of coffee or tea that contains caffeine. Here are other some other drinks and foods that contain caffeine:
- Chocolate (both milk and plain)
- Energy drink
- Bottled iced tea
- Instant coffee
- Brewed coffee
- Brewed tea
So remember that your total caffeine intake should not exceed 200 mg in a day and that limit must include all caffeine foods and drinks you consume through the day (1).
[ Read: Drinking Iced Tea During Pregnancy ]
Decaf tea while pregnant is sure a great alternative. But make sure you don’t go overboard with it. If you face problems like headaches after reducing caffeine, do it gradually. You will eventually l get used to it. Instead, indulge in better habits like herbal drinks and fresh juices. For instance, opt for decaf green tea. Know more about benefits of decaf green tea right here.
Hope reading our post makes you put down that caffeine-rich cup of tea and reaching out for decaf tea already. Tell us what change did you feel by changing over to decaf? Does it taste any different? Share your experiences here. We love hearing from you.
- Is It Safe To Have Lipton Tea During Pregnancy?
- 10 Amazing Healthy Benefits Of Ginger Tea During Pregnancy
- Peppermint Tea During Pregnancy – 5 Benefits & 4 Side Effects You Should Be Aware Of
- Is It Safe To Drink Oolong Tea During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Akruti (see all)
- Bacterial And Fungal Infections In Children - March 2, 2017
- 4 Unexpected Symptoms Of Colon Cancer In Teens - July 20, 2015
- Lung Cancer In Teens - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - July 16, 2015
- Is It Safe To Drink Decaf Tea During Pregnancy? - July 16, 2015
- Nose Bleeds In Teens – Everything You Need To Know - July 13, 2015
- Is It Normal To Have Excess Facial & Body Hair During Pregnancy? - July 6, 2015
- How Often Should You Change Your Baby's Cloth Diaper? - June 19, 2015
- High Cholesterol During Pregnancy - Every Thing You Need To Know - March 20, 2015
- How To Choose A Good Babysitter? - March 19, 2015
- 7 Tips To Help You Choose The Right Gynecologist - March 17, 2015