Is your teenager talking about detox diets all the time? Is she adamant about going on a detox diet? Are you worried that it may not be healthy for her? If these questions have you nodding along in solemn agreement, consider reading this post. Here we talk about detox diet for teens and whether they should succumb to such fads or not.
What Is Detox?
Before we look at a basic detox diet, let’s overview detox as it is. You might know that detox is short for detoxification. Detoxification is a process of ridding your body of toxins or harmful substances. Detoxification claims to cure the long term effects of accumulated toxins. Detoxification is an alternative treatment, which means that it is not a scientifically proven healing practice.
Detoxification and detox diets follow the idea that ‘the human body is capable of purifying itself ’.
[ Read: Balanced Diet For Teenagers ]
There is no predefined plan for detox diets, as they are specific to each person who wants to follow them. A normal diet may contain many chemicals and unnecessary products that accumulate in your body. Changing your food habits for a few days and following a healthy routine can eliminate harmful chemicals from our body.
- Typically, detoxification diets contain high fiber content and lower fat and carbohydrate content. These diets concentrate on reducing fat and mostly prescribe zero-fat foods. Some extreme diets prescribe an extreme level of only liquid intake or juice fasting.
- Detox diets claim that zero-fat foods with high fiber content help release accumulated fats and thus release the fat-stored toxins from your body through the sweat and urine.
- Doctors usually advise dieting for short burst of 2-3 days, as a week-long fast or low-energy diet can lead to serious health complications. However, detox diets stress on dieting for longer periods.
- Adults are the only ones who should go on detox diets. You can consider detoxifying your boy once in a year. By including targeted exercises, you can modify detox diets into weight management courses.
[ Read: High Protein Foods For Teenagers ]
Methods Of Detoxification:
Detox diets follow various methods.
- Consuming excessive healthy foods
- Avoiding specific foods (like fats or carbohydrates)
- Colon cleansing
- Chelation therapy
Side Effects Of A Detox Diet For Teens:
A detox diet is an unhealthy way to improve your health as it can lead to many problems. If you follow a diet blindly, without considering your body type or requirements, it can trigger adverse effects like deficiencies and other related conditions. If you are planning on a detox diet, consult your nutritionist for the best possible diet plan for you.
[ Read: Nutrition For Teens ]
Detox Diets For Teens:
Detox diets are hugely popular, and many adults go on such diets. But, how does detoxification affect a teen’s body?
Teens are usually taken in by the glamorous advertisements and the hype surrounding detox diets. Detox diets are thought to be the best solutions for a toxin-free healthy body.
A detox diet can help you maintain physical fitness and also enhance the body building capabilities. However, the effects of detox diets are temporary. They don’t make your body serene and calm throughout the life. These diets help cleanse your internal organs. Once your diet is over, your body begins to develop or accumulate new unwanted substances.
[ Read: Tips To Make Your Teen Eat Healthy ]
Teenagers need most of the nutrients including fats, carbohydrates, proteins, fibers, etc., as they are still growing. So, your teen should not avoid any of these nutrients.
Did you find the post useful? Did your teen ever draw up her detox diet plan? How did you talk her out of it? Tell us about it and help other fellow moms overcome similar situations. Leave a comment below.
Latest posts by Harini Santhosh (see all)
- 4 Types Of Metabolic Disorders In Children - June 2, 2015
- Eczema In Teens – Causes, Symptoms And Remedies - May 29, 2015
- Dysphagia In Children – Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - May 29, 2015
- Ingrown Toenail In Toddlers – Everything You Need To Know - May 25, 2015
- Tooth Discoloration In Toddlers – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - May 25, 2015
- 2 Common Fruits You Should Avoid While Breastfeeding - May 18, 2015
- 6 Positive And 4 Negative Effects Of Social Media On Children - May 15, 2015
- Detox Diet For Teens – Everything You Need To Know - April 29, 2015
- Supplementing Breastfeeding With Formula - Is It Ok? - April 22, 2015
- Meningitis In Children - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - April 22, 2015