Diaper pails are typically trash cans that are used to hold soiled diapers, but without spreading the foul odor around. There are several types and brands of diaper pails you can pick from, depending on your requirement. MomJunction presents a guide of how to pick the right diaper pail and the 11 best diaper pails that you should consider buying for your home.
What Is A Diaper Pail?
A diaper pail is a specialized dustbin designed exclusively to hold the baby’s soiled diapers. Like a dustbin, the diaper pail also comes with a lid, a pedal, and the facility to install a disposable garbage bag or a diaper bag liner inside. Diaper pails have several advantages over conventional dustbins.
Why Do You Need A Diaper Pail?
Diaper pails offer the following benefits over dustbins:
- Odor control: A pail comes with integrated functionality of controlling foul odor. This is made possible with integrated deodorizers or filters, and the use of fragrance-laden, proprietary diaper liners.
- Portability: Diaper changes can happen anywhere in the house, but you cannot carry the dustbin everywhere. Diaper pails are portable and can be moved from room to room, where your baby needs the diaper change.
- Exclusivity: It keeps the diaper waste separate from other household waste. It can be hard to open the dustbin lid to throw other household waste when there are foul smelling diapers already in it. Diaper pails help solve this problem.
How To Choose The Best Diaper Pail?
Look for the following features when shopping for a diaper pail:
- Odor sealing ability: A good diaper pail should entirely seal the odor within. Check if the diaper pail has a secure lid. Having a filter or a deodorizer is an added advantage.
- Liner changing feature: You can put a disposable diaper liner in the diaper pail just like you would put a garbage bag in a trash can. It should be easy to set and remove a liner from a diaper pail. Several diaper pail manufacturers sell proprietary liners that fit perfectly into their diaper pails and also contain the odor better.
- Ease of use: Does it have an easy to open the lid? Is it easy to carry from place to another? Check how convenient it will be to use when you have a dirty diaper in one hand and a baby in another hand.
- Easy disposal of dirty diapers: Look for features that allow you to tie the liner within the diaper pail so that you do not expose the soiled diapers.
- Overall costs: Some diaper pails only work with the proprietary liners and do not work with standard garbage bags. Liners cost extra, which eventually adds to the cost of the pail itself. A diaper pail that also works with standard garbage bags helps control the cost in the long run.
11 Best Diaper Pails
1. Tommee Tippee Simplee
Buy Tommee Tippee Simplee @ www.amazon.com
- Compact size allows you to carry the diaper pail conveniently and place it anywhere.
- You can use it with both standard garbage bags and proprietary bags sold by the manufacturer. Tommee Tippee diaper pail liners are multilayered to contain the odor and also kill 99% of bacteria.
- Easy to use. Open the lid, put the soiled diaper, and close the lid to push the diaper into the liner.
- The pail can hold up to 18 size-one diapers.
- The manufacturer sells diaper pail liners held in a circular cartridge that fits into the lid. A cutter within the outer lid allows you to cut the end of the liner when it is full.
- Convenient to dispose of the liner. Tie the knot to the liner, take it out of the pail, and throw it away. You can use a garbage bag the same way you use the company’s liners, which makes it the best diaper pail for regular trash bag usage.
2. Playtex Diaper Genie Complete
Buy Playtex Diaper Genie Complete @ www.amazon.com
- Foot-pedal operated lid, which makes it easy to throw a soiled diaper when you have the baby in one hand.
- A carbon filter within the lid filters out any smell coming out from the pail.
- The proprietary Diaper Genie liner comes in a circular cartridge that fits into a slot within the bin. Pull a new liner each time you are done with one.
- Each Diaper Genie liner has seven layers, which keeps the odor contained.
- The front of the pail opens and tilts thus making it easy to access the used liner. Cut the liner, tie a knot, and dispose of the bag as usual.
3. Munchkin Step Diaper Pail Powered by Arm & Hammer
Buy Munchkin Step Diaper Pail Powered by Arm & Hammer @ www.amazon.com
- A turning mechanism within the lid twists and shut the mouth of the liner each time you close the lid of the pail. It prevents odor from escaping from the can.
- The front of the pail slides open, allowing you to see the liner and also remove it if it is full.
- A lavender-scented baking soda puck attaches to the inside of the lid and filters out the foul smell.
- A child-locking button locks the lid and prevents a curious child from opening the diaper pail.
- Liner refill ring fit into the slot below the cover. Each liner is also coated with lavender scent.
4. Ubbi Steel Diaper Pail
Buy Ubbi Steel Diaper Pail @ www.amazon.com
- It is made entirely of stainless steel, which is not porous, unlike plastic, and hence helps contain odor better.
- Rubber seals at the rim of the pail further help in containing any smell within the pail.
- A slow-closing lid prevents the lid from slamming. It also has a slider lid, which opens a small window on the main lid to dispose of the diapers quickly.
- No need for proprietary bags. You can use standard garbage or other plastic covers with this diaper pail.
- A childproof lock prevents a child from opening the lid.
5. Dekor Classic Hands-Free Diaper Pail
Buy Dekor Classic Hands-Free Diaper Pail @ www.amazon.com
- It is made from ABS plastic, which is more durable and non-absorbent to odors than standard plastic diaper pails made from polypropylene plastic.
- The lid contains a rubber liner, which seals the bin tightly.
- Pedal-operated main lid. A spring-operated trap door closes shut once you have thrown the diaper. The main lid shuts softly.
- A front access door on the pail provides access to the used liner. A plastic cutter on the door allows you to cut the used liner.
- A childproof lock prevents the child from opening the lid. The main access door can be locked too.
6. Playtex Diaper Genie Expressions
Buy Playtex Diaper Genie Expressions @ www.amazon.com
- Customize the diaper pail’s appearance. You can pick from several stylish diaper pails that are sold separately.
- Push button lid that flips open on the press of the button.
- An inner push trap door opens when you throw the diaper and closes automatically. The trap door also clamps the liner on closing, which prevents the odor from spreading.
- Diaper Genie liners consist of seven layers and completely contain foul odor. The pail can hold up to 50 newborn diapers.
- Fabric sleeves are available in several colors and patterns so that you can pick one that suits your nursery the best.
7. Baby Trend Diaper Champ Deluxe
Buy Baby Trend Diaper Champ Deluxe @ www.amazon.com
- A ‘deposit system’ style that holds the diapers in a collection cup below the lid. You pull a handle that opens a trap door to the cup. Turn the handle again to dispose of the diaper into the main diaper pail.
- The cup acts as a buffer to prevent odor from transferring to the outside.
- A handle operates the main slider door on top for access to the collection cup.
- Its small size makes it easy to place anywhere. It can hold up to 30 newborn diapers.
8. Safety 1st Easy Saver Diaper Pail
Buy Safety 1st Easy Saver Diaper Pail @ www.amazon.com
- A button operates the spring-loaded lid, which is designed to minimize the odor that comes out of the pail each time you open it.
- The back of the lid has a replaceable deodorizer disc, which contains all the foul smell within the pail.
- No need for proprietary liners. You can use any diaper pail liner or even a plastic bag of your choice.
- The main lid opens to provide access to the liner inside.
9. Bubula Steel Diaper Pail
Buy Bubula Steel Diaper Pail @ www.amazon.com
- Made entirely of metal with a steel and aluminum construction, which is durable and also resistant to absorbing odors.
- A gasket lining the rim of the pail seals the foul smell within.
- The taller design makes it easy to access. Push-to-open style of the lid with a spring mechanism that opens the lid when pushed. You can press the lid down to shut it.
- Use a diaper liner or garbage bag of your choice — no custom diaper liners needed.
- A latch opens the entire main lid to place the garbage bag inside a metal holder within the pail.
- A safety lock prevents curious babies and toddlers from opening the diaper pail.
10. Busch Systems Odorless Cloth Diaper Pail
Buy Busch Systems Odorless Cloth Diaper Pail @ www.amazon.com
- The pail is specifically designed for cloth diapers. You can place soiled cloth diapers directly or use a cloth diaper liner within the can. The flexible usage options make it the best cloth diaper pail.
- A carbon filter on top of the lid filters out the foul smell from the pail.
- A clamp holds the lid in position tightly, thus sealing the top of the pail.
- It is made with recycled plastic and is recyclable.
11. Diaper One N Done
Buy Diaper One N Done @ www.amazon.com
- A bucket-style diaper pail with a frame that attaches to your diaper changing station.
- Place a single bag in the bucket, place the soiled diaper, tie the knot to the bag, and dispose of the usual way. It is suitable for parents who prefer throwing soiled diapers straight into the trash can.
- The bucket comes with a pack of 100 bags. Each bag can hold two to three diapers, which is useful when you have two babies and change two diapers at a time.
Diaper pails make diaper changing less messy, while also containing the odor. Pick a diaper pail that best works for you, keeping in mind how often you change the diaper, the capacity of the pail, and ease of use. With the right diaper pain in the room, you can breathe easier and also keep the baby’s nursery hygienic.
Have you used a diaper pail? Do tell us your experience in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.
Latest posts by Rohit Garoo (see all)
- 35 Fascinating Facts About Koala Bear - March 7, 2019
- Mucus In Baby's Stool: Causes, Diagnosis And Treatment - March 6, 2019
- 11 Best Umbrella Strollers In 2019 - February 28, 2019
- 13 Best Jogging Strollers To Buy In 2019 - February 28, 2019
- 11 Best Nipple Creams For Breastfeeding Moms To Buy In 2019 - February 28, 2019
- 43 Interesting Facts About Japan - February 28, 2019
- 25 Historical New York Colony Facts - February 28, 2019
- 11 Best Diaper Pails To Buy In 2019 - February 27, 2019
- 15 Best Baby Playmats To Buy In 2019 - February 27, 2019
- 15 Best baby carriers to buy in 2019 - February 27, 2019