- What is doxinate?
- Is doxinate safe for pregnant women?
- How to take doxinate during pregnancy?
- When should you start and stop using doxinate during pregnancy?
- What are the side effects of doxinate?
- Does doxinate have any effect on the fetus?
- Can doxinate be taken with food?
- When is doxinate forte recommended during pregnancy?
- Is it safe to take doxinate while breastfeeding?
If there is one thing that most people associate pregnancy with, it is morning sickness.
Morning sickness or nausea is one of the prominent pregnancy symptoms you experience due to the hormonal fluctuations in your body. If you are having severe nausea and vomiting, then your doctor may recommend Doxinate tablets for relief.
What Is Doxinate?
Doxinate (Doxinate G) is a medicine used to treat nausea and vomiting during pregnancy. It is a combination of doxylamine succinate (antihistamine/antiemetic) and pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6). This medicine is available in the form of capsules and tablets.
The Doxinate OD tablets and Doxinate plus tablets (with the composition doxylamine, vitamin B6/pyridoxine, and folic acid) are prescribed to prevent morning sickness from worsening to hyperemesis gravidarum, which is severe nausea resulting in weight loss and dehydration.
Is Doxinate Safe For Pregnant Women?
Doxinate falls under the pregnancy drug category A (1), which is safe to administer during all the trimesters of pregnancy. The recommended dose of Doxinate should be taken for two to three days to get an optimal result.
How To Take Doxinate During Pregnancy?
The recommended dose is two tablets a day initially, at bedtime. If the condition does not get under control, then the dosage is four tablets a day – one in the morning, one in the afternoon, and two at bedtime. If you feel uneasy even after taking the drug, then consult your doctor.
When Should You Start And Stop Using Doxinate During Pregnancy?
Usually, morning sickness starts between the 4th and 9th week of pregnancy, and peaks between the 7th and 12th week (2). If the condition is severe, you can take Doxinate early on, as prescribed by the doctor. However, ensure that you complete the entire course of the medicine and do not stop taking it without consulting your doctor.
Depending on your health and the progression of pregnancy, the doctor will decide whether or not you should continue with the medicine.
If you need to stop the medication, the doctor will gradually decrease the dosage to prevent relapse of morning sickness.
What Are The Side Effects of Doxinate?
The side effects of Doxinate are usually minimal. They include (3):
- Dry mouth
- A headache
In case of any pre-existing health conditions such as asthma, bronchitis, glaucoma, or impairment of the airways in the lungs, this drug should be used with extreme caution.
Does Doxinate Have Any Effect On The Fetus?
There are no studies indicating its adverse effect on the fetus.
Can Doxinate Be Taken With Food?
Doxinate is taken on an empty stomach for optimal results. However, if taken with food, the time taken for the drug to act may get prolonged (4).
When Is Doxinate Forte Recommended During Pregnancy?
Doxinate Forte is recommended for nausea and vomiting associated with nutritional deficiencies. It is a combination of doxylamine (20mg), vitamin B6 (20mg), and folic acid (5mg).
Is It Safe To Take Doxinate While Breastfeeding?
There are no studies confirming that Doxinate can be used during breastfeeding. However, Doxinate during lactation is considered an off-label use. Doxylamine succinate, a component of Doxinate, is known for its sedative and anti-histamine properties and can enter the breast milk and affect the infant. Pyridoxine is another component of the drug, which is present in a very low dose and poses no risk to the infants.
Nausea and vomiting can be a major inconvenience during pregnancy. So don’t hesitate to talk to your doctor and take Doxinate if necessary. But if morning sickness is bearable, then hang on for a few weeks because it is usually gone after the first trimester.
Have you taken Doxinate to beat morning sickness during pregnancy? Share your experiences with us in the comments section below.
Latest posts by shreeja pillai (see all)
- Hysterosalpingography: When And Why Is It Done? - October 30, 2018
- Forceps Delivery: When And How Is It Done? - October 5, 2018
- What Causes A Pregnancy Brain And How To Deal With It? - September 17, 2018
- Blood Clots After Birth: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment - August 31, 2018
- What Is Linea Nigra And Why Does It Occur? - August 30, 2018
- 6 Best Tips To Reach Full Term Pregnancy - August 21, 2018
- Is It Safe To Take Acetaminophen In Pregnancy? - August 16, 2018
- Postpartum Anxiety: What Are The Symptoms And How To Deal With It - July 31, 2018
- Postpartum Thyroiditis: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment - July 12, 2018
- Is It Possible To Get Pregnant After Vasectomy? - July 4, 2018