It is just a week for your due date. You might be frantically searching the Internet for ways to induce labor naturally. From eating tropical fruits to spicy food, you may get many suggestions. But do they work? Let us check about eating pineapple to induce labor in this following post.
While some say that it is safe to eat pineapple during pregnancy, some say that it is a strict no-no. Keep reading to know how it helps to induce labor naturally.
Does Pineapple Induce Labor?
Yes, it does, but only when you consume high amounts!
Pineapple contains a type of proteolytic enzyme, bromelain that helps soften the cervix and induces labor. Therefore, eating pineapples is beneficial as they help ripen your cervix and ease the labor.
One more reason you should eat pineapple in excess amounts is it stimulates your stomach, which then causes contractions in your uterus. It will, therefore, bring on your labor. Make sure you eat fresh pineapples to induce labor as they contain useful amounts of bromelain. The canning process destroys the bromelain enzyme. Also, when the pineapple is cut and left open for a long time, the protein shrinks.
[ Read: Ways To Induce Labor Naturally ]
How Much Pineapple You Can Eat To Induce Labor?
One pineapple may contain very less bromelain enzyme. You should nearly have seven pineapples to have the effect. It will be more efficient if you eat the whole fruit, including the inner core, as it contains most of the enzyme.
Are There Any Risks Of Eating Pineapple?
Though pineapple is a popular choice that helps to induce labor, it even shows certain side effects.
- Heartburn and Diarrhea – Overeating pineapple fruit can cause heartburn that further leads to bouts of diarrhea. It is because of excess amounts of vitamin C in the fruit.
- Miscarriage – There are reports saying that pregnant women who eat unripe pineapples may have a greater risk of miscarriage.
- Triggers Gestational Diabetes – If you are suffering from gestational diabetes, eating pineapple can be dangerous for both you and your baby. It is because of the high amounts of natural sugars present in pineapples that alleviate the blood sugar levels.
So, the best thing is to consume pineapple in moderate amounts. You should not go along with the idea of inducing labor with pineapple. Always check with your health care provider about consuming pineapple during pregnancy.
[ Read: How To Induce Labor With Castor Oil? ]
Ways To Include Pineapple To Induce Labor:
You can either choose to eat plain slices or drink pineapple juice. Also, try out the below yummy smoothie recipes.
1. Pineapple Mango Smoothie:
- Pineapple along with core – 1 cup freshly chopped
- Mangoes – 1 cup chopped
- Orange juice – 1 cup
- Vanilla Yogurt – ½ cup
- Add pineapple pieces, mango pieces, orange juice and yogurt in a blender and juice them.
- Add ice and blend again until to get the desired consistency.
- You can also add bananas, any other fruit and top it with shredded coconut.
2. Pineapple Data Smoothie:
- Pitted dates – 8 to 12
- Pineapple with the core – 2 – 3 slices, fresh cut
- Vanilla almond mix milk
- Cinnamon – a pinch
- Greek yogurt – 1/3 cup
- Unsweetened coconut – 1-2 tbsp (optional)
- Firstly blend dates as they may get stuck in the blades. You can soak the dates before blending to avoid chunks.
- Now add the other ingredients and blend.
Check Out Some Natural Ways To Induce Labor!
- Walking :
Walking during pregnancy will help to draw your baby down into the pelvic region. The pressure developed by your baby on the pelvis will force your cervix for labor. Even if walking will not do the trick, it, at least, helps you get into shape for labor. Make sure you don’t walk too much before the day is nearing because you need a lot of energy to deliver the baby.
- Spicy Foods:
Having spicy foods will stimulate your body to release prostaglandins hormones in the digestive system. They cause contractions in the uterus, therefore helping the labor to progress.
[ Read: Foods To Induce Labor ]
Some major acupressure points help to induce labor. However, you need to check with your healthcare provider before you try an acupressure treatment. Pressure points are safe for acupressure starting from the 37 weeks of pregnancy. It will increase blood flow to the uterus, influencing hormones and thus stimulating uterine contractions.
Even if acupressure does not help with your labor, it can, at least, alleviate the pain and discomfort during labor.
- The Final Say:
Following the basic thumb rule of ‘eating in moderation’ is probably the best way to glide through pregnancy without any complications. An excess of anything is bad, no matter how good the nutrient or food is.
If you’re doubtful about consuming pineapple during pregnancy (or any other food for that matter), seek your practitioner’s opinion. It is the most credible and trustworthy advice you could follow.
Different bodies react differently, and pregnancy is a crucial time. Make sure you rule out the possibility of any risks whatsoever by sticking to moderate amounts of the fruit, even if your practitioner says you are in ‘safe zone’.
Have you got any other tried and tested tips? Share them with other mommies-to-be in the comment section below.
- Is It Safe To Eat Guava During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Mango During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Pineapple During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- How To Treat Drool Rash In Babies? - June 5, 2015