It is quite an established fact that smoking is injurious to health. But did you know that second-hand smoke, also known as passive smoke or Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS), is equally generous?
There is very less awareness about the fact that an innocent non-smoker is also vulnerable to smoking related ailments, just like the culprit smoker is, if he is exposed to long term secondhand smoking. Thus, the more smoke you inhale, the more risks you gather for your health.
What Is Secondhand Smoke?
Secondhand smoke is the smoke which you inhale from the cigarette burning near you or the smoke that is exhaled by the smoker himself. This way, you stand the same risk which a smoker undergoes.
1. You will be shocked to know that this ETS contains hundreds of harmful chemical compounds, out of which 50 of them are known to cause cancer.
2. ETS contains some of these harmful components which are carrier of toxins and carcinogens. Such as –
- Hydrogen Cyanide
- Carbon monoxide
- Vinyl Chloride
Now that you have known what is ETS, lets look into some effects of secondhand smoke on both pregnant women and baby here:
Effect Of ETS On Pregnant Women:
As a matter of fact, it is advised that those women who conceive a baby should not smoke. But same amount of risks are attached when an expectant mom inhales involuntary smoke. It can harm the mother as well as the unborn baby in the following ways:
- Chances of having a stillborn baby are more.
- Also, the woman is more likely to give birth to a child with inherent birth defects.
- Increased risk of child developing asthma after growing up.
- There are also probabilities that they might develop eczema of allergic rhinitis.
Effect Of ETS On Infants And Babies:
When parents smoke in front of their newborns, they should be aware on how they are harming the young and innocent life.
1. It is important to note that infants who have very delicate lungs and bodies get easily harmed by the smoke. It can cause them the following problems:
- Reduced functioning of lungs.
- Increase in the chances of contracting asthma.
- Might cause them to catch pneumonia or bronchitis.
- Get affected by SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome).
2. Also, when these children grow up, they might be more vulnerable to the certain life threatening diseases like cancer, heart disease and cataract.
Precaution Against Second-Hand Smoke:
There is zero tolerance limits for the second hand smoke and therefore the best way to be away from the smoke is to avoid smoking as well as smokers.
Follow these rules impertinently to ensure better health for your loves ones.
1. Make Your Environs Free:
Be sure that the place where you spend maximum time should be smoke free. Make strict rules for not smoking in your house or even your car.
2. Encourage No Smoking:
If anyone from your family is a smoker then help them to steer away from smoking. Although, they do not smoke at home, they always carry the harmful chemicals of smoke in their clothes, bags or with other accessories.
3. Prefer Public Places:
Visit, shop and dine at places where smoking is banned. Even when you chose a restaurant or a shopping mall or a museum, the rules should be same.
4. Raise Smoke-Free kids:
In their growing years, you should make it imperative that smoking is bad. Also teach your children to stay away from smokers.
Thus, it is necessary to spread the word about the harmful effects of smoking as well as the impact of second home smoke.
If anyone in your family a smoker, then please share this article with them. Also, do enlighten us with other methods of avoiding second hand smoke.
- Is It Safe To Smoke During Pregnancy?
- 5 Things To Absolutely Avoid During Pregnancy
- Top 3 Precautions to Take During Pregnancy By 17 Experts
Latest posts by Palak Shah (see all)
- Is It Safe To Eat Rambutan During Pregnancy? - November 4, 2015
- Gonorrhea During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - January 2, 2015
- Is It Safe To Donate Blood While Breastfeeding? - December 31, 2014
- Kitchen Safety For Kids - Rules And Tips You Need To Know - December 31, 2014
- 4 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Insect Bites In Babies/Infants - December 26, 2014
- 4 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Sore Breasts During Breastfeeding - November 28, 2014
- 4 Health Benefits Of Wheat For Your Baby - November 27, 2014
- 7 Effective Tips On Making Your Restless Baby Sleep - October 10, 2014
- Is It Safe To Have A Transvaginal Scan During Pregnancy? - October 10, 2014
- 5 Remedies To Get Rid Of Clumsiness During Pregnancy - October 7, 2014