Body aches and pain go hand-in-hand with pregnancy. Blame it on the extra weight that you gain at this stage that increases pains and aches in your body. Joints in your body get soft to prepare for the delivery.
You also will continue gaining weight all through the nine months, which will exert pressure on your pelvic floor muscles, uterus, joints and ligaments. Combination of all these factors contributes to pain in your knees.
Types Of Knee Pain During Pregnancy:
Knee pain in pregnancy can be of different types. Here we shall explore some of them:
- You may experience pain in your knees because of injuries to the ligaments and the soft tissues. This type of pain is generally dull and continuous. The pain can get sharp if you are stabbed by something sharp.
- You may experience pain in your knees, if you stand or walk for long. Your feet become heavier in pregnancy and exert lot more pressure on your muscles and joints.
[ Read : Tailbone Pain During Pregnancy ]
Managing Knee Pains During Pregnancy:
The good news is, this pain will gradually subside after delivery. However, there are a few things that you can try at this stage to alleviate your discomfort, such as:
- Try the low impact exercises that strengthen the muscles of your knees. Of course you need to consult with your doctor before trying any exercises at this time.
- Prop your feet up to take off the weight, as this will offer you immense relief.
- Wear well-cushioned shoes. Padded shoes absorb shocks and protect your knees well.
- Make sure you are not gaining weight unnecessarily. It is normal to put on around 35 pounds in pregnancy.
- Stick to your a good diet and do not over-indulge; this is the best way to keep your existing knee problems during pregnancy at bay.
- Ask your doctor if you can take small doses of acetaminophen during pregnancy.
- Look for a knee brace. These elastic braces support your ligaments and tendons.
[ Read : Back Pain During Pregnancy ]
When it comes to knee pain in pregnancy, there is very little you can do to prevent it. Unless and until the pain arises from an injury, you cannot do much to treat your pain. However, here are few things you can do:
- You can try cold or hot packs to ease discomforts resulting from sore joints.
- You must always consult with your doctor before taking any over-the-counter medications.
- Doctors generally allow acetaminophen for analgesia in pregnancy.
[ Read : Leg Cramps During Pregnancy ]
When Should You Visit A Doctor?
By now, it must be clear to you that being overweight during pregnancy will most probably lead to knee pain. At the same time, the pain may have been caused by a different reason too.
- The best way to find out the actual reason is to go for a medical opinion. You can wait till the next visit if your knee pain is not the result of any injuries.
- You should see a doctor immediately if you have been around with anyone who has been infected with erythrovirus (also called as fifth disease). The chances of birth defects linked with it are high if you are in your first trimester. This is a very rare phenomenon, so do not panic!
[ Read : Hip Pain During Pregnancy ]
Do not keep mum about this knee pain, or worry about it all the time, it will only make you miserable! Spend time with friends, read good books and keep your mind occupied with things you love. After all, it is just matter of few days after which you will be relieved of all your discomforts.
Moms, do let us know if you too suffered from knee pain during pregnancy and what you did to relieve some discomforts in the comment section below.
- Top 10 Remedies For Bloating During Pregnancy
- 5 Effective Measures To Prevent Indigestion During Pregnancy
- Top 5 Ways To Deal Fainting and Dizziness During Pregnancy
- Round Ligament Pain During Pregnancy – 4 Symptoms & 4 Causes You Should Be Aware Of
- 13 Effective Precautions To Get Relief From Pelvic Girdle Pain During Pregnancy
Latest posts by moumita ghosh (see all)
- 8 Effective Tips To Relieve Finger Pain During Pregnancy - November 23, 2015
- Top 5 Camel Crafts For Preschoolers And Young Kids - November 23, 2015
- 4 Interesting Winter Craft Ideas For Your Toddler - January 21, 2015
- 7 Simple Tips To Inculcate Good Sleep Habits In Babies - January 9, 2015
- 6 Effective Ways To Help Your Teen Make Smart Decisions - January 9, 2015
- How To Raise A Teenage Girl? - January 8, 2015
- 3 Different Ways To Fold Your Baby's Cloth Diaper - January 7, 2015
- Hearing Test For Babies/Infants - Everything You Need To Know - January 6, 2015
- Broken Tailbone In Children – Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - January 5, 2015
- Is Breast Milk Effective To Treat Acne In Babies? - January 3, 2015