Are you apprehensive about the various reasons that can pose as threats to you or your unborn baby? Are you actually unaware about the dangers which are present at home, that can prove to be fatal to you and the growth of your unborn child? There are many environmental hazards during pregnancy about which you should be aware.
If you are rather skeptical about various issues that could harm you and your unborn child, then please continue to read this article, to become aware of the do’s and don’ts during pregnancy.
5 Environmental Hazards During Pregnancy:
Hazardous materials can be present anywhere, inside your house, within your neighborhood, or at your workplace. In most cases, even though you feel you are safe, these surrounding dangers can cause much harm without you realizing the same. Here are five environmental hazards you should take care of while you are pregnant:
1. Cleaning Products: 
Cleaning products often contain a substance called glycol ether that is present in oven cleaners and window cleaners. It is dangerous to come in contact with glycol ether, as it can increase your chances of a miscarriage and put you at risk.
Mildew removers contain a substance called phenol which can increase the chances of birth defects. In severe cases, it can also cause fetal death.
How To Avoid:
- Read the label carefully and follow the instructions. Read the warning label to see if it is safe to use the product during pregnancy.
- Ask someone else to use the product while you are pregnant.
[ Read: Using Cleaning Products During Pregnancy ]
2. Pesticides: 
Among the many environmental hazards in pregnancy this one is the most dangerous.Pesticides contain a lot of toxic materials that can harm various organs in the body. Inhaling pesticides can worsen asthma and other breathing related conditions.
Pesticides contain chemicals that can increase the risk of cancer and cause various birth defects.
How To Avoid:
- Wash anything you eat, whether raw or in a cooked form.
- Always wash your hands after coming into contact with any form of pesticide or containers that contain the pesticide.
- Vacate the area where you suspect Apesticide is being used.
- In case pesticide treatment is being done in your house, at your home remove all utensils and food products from the designated area. Cover everything and keep them away for a few hours.
[ Read: Exposure To Chemicals During Pregnancy ]
3. Cell Phone Radiation: 
Radiation from cell phones affects your unborn baby the most. This environmental effects on pregnancy here could be life threatening.Exposure to cell phone radiation can cause various birth defects in your baby.
Your baby can be affected by conditions like retardation in growth, malformation, underdeveloped brain functions and increase the risk of cancer. The chances of a miscarriage also increase.
How To Avoid:
- Use your cell phone as less as possible and keep it away from yourself when not in use.
- Don’t carry your cell phone in your trouser pocket or shirt pocket. Keep it inside your bag.
- Do not keep your cell phone under or near your pillow while sleeping. Keep it at a safe distance.
4. Cosmetics: 
Cosmetics and skin care products contain a host of chemicals that may be quite harmful to both you and your unborn baby.
You might break out with various skin ailments after using a certain product. You may develop certain allergies during pregnancy that were not present earlier. Treating it may require the use of medication that is not advisable during pregnancy.
How To Avoid:
- Avoid using cosmetics as much as possible.
- Try using natural products that do not include harmful chemicals.
- Always use cosmetics that come from well-known brands. Read the label and understand the list of ingredients.
5. Lead: 
Lead exposure can result in premature birth, miscarriage, low birth weight and delay in the developmental milestones. It can affect your baby’s behavioral and cognitive skills.
How To Avoid:
- Ask your local health department to check for the presence of lead in your drinking water.
- If your home has lead paints do not touch areas where the paint has peeled off.
Pregnancy requires you to be safe and alert. Sometimes, your home may contain many hazardous elements that you are not always aware of. Always make sure to read labels and avoid chemicals as much as possible.
What were the special tips you followed while you were pregnant? Did you reduce the usage of cell phones or did you cut down on excessive usage of cosmetics? Do tell other mothers about it, to enable them to become aware of experiencing a stress free pregnancy. Happy pregnancy!
- 5 Risks Of Wearing Heels During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Use Spray Tans During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe to Wear Make-Up During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Strawberry During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016