Are you a connoisseur of exotic dishes? Do you love to experiment with what you eat? Has pregnancy made you wary of the types of foods you can or cannot eat? Do you want to be sure that what you eat is safe and will not cause any harm to your unborn baby or you?
Escargot is one hugely popular exotic dish. If you would like to know can you eat escargot when pregnant, read on to see what health and medical information has to say about it.
What Is An Escargot?
An escargot is a type dish that is made using land snails. The dish is an appetizer and is popular in Spain, France, and Portugal. Many restaurants that specialize in the said cuisine offer escargot as part of the appetizer menu. In some cases, the word ‘escargot’ also refers to the snails that belong to species that help prepare the dish (1).
Is It Safe To Eat Escargot While Pregnant?
There is no proven record that clearly states whether or not it is safe to eat escargot during pregnancy. The best way to be safe is to speak to your doctor about it first, and only then resume eating it.
If you are allergic to seafood, you might also be allergic to escargot. If you ever suffered from a food allergy after eating seafood, chances are, you can get another allergy after eating escargot, even if you did not have another allergy in the recent past. To be on the safe side, avoid eating escargot while pregnant, especially if you suffer from a seafood allergy.
[ Read: Eating Oysters During Pregnancy ]
Escargot For Weight Loss:
Once your doctor gives you the go-ahead to eat escargot, you can start consuming it. It is good for controlling your weight.
How Does It Keep Your Weight In Control?
Eating escargot can help to keep your weight in check.
- Escargot can prevent excess weight gain and it also helps maintain your current weight. Eating a 100 gm serving of escargot will give you a high of about 90 calories. It will also provide you with about 16 gm of protein, which will help you feel full without adding empty calories.
- Escargot is also low in its carbohydrate content and will not lead to unnecessary weight gain while you are pregnant.
- When you eat escargot, you also get a rich amount of vitamins and minerals that are essential for your as well as your unborn baby’s overall health and development. Escargot is rich in iron, magnesium as well as potassium, which will help your overall health as well as help in making extra blood required during pregnancy.
[ Read: Risks Of Eating Pate During Pregnancy ]
Nutritional Value Of Escargot:
|Amount Per 100 gm|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1.4 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 0.4 g||2%|
|Polyunsaturated fat 0.3 g|
|Monounsaturated fat 0.3 g|
|Cholesterol 50 mg||16%|
|Sodium 70 mg||2%|
|Potassium 382 mg||10%|
|Total Carbohydrate 2 g||0%|
|Dietary fiber 0 g||0%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Protein 16 g||32%|
|Vitamin A||2%||Vitamin C||0%|
|Vitamin D||0%||Vitamin B-6||5%|
|*Per cent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.|
Eating escargot does have many health benefits, but make sure you eat it only after speaking to your doctor.
Did you eat escargot while you were pregnant? What did your doctor have to say? Tell us below, fellow moms would love to hear from you.
- Is It Safe To Eat Bologna While You Are Pregnant?
- Is It Safe To Eat Bacon During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe Eating Sushi During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Liver During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017