- Essential oils for fertility in women
- Essential oils for fertility in men
- Ways to utilize essential oils
- How make an essential oil blend?
- Fertility essential oil blends
- Precautions to follow while using essential oils
- Self-care tips while using essential oils
Essential oils promote overall healing and wellness. But did you know that they could boost fertility as well?
For ages, essential oils have been used to affect fertility in both men and women positively. In this MomJunction post, we tell you how the oils can promote reproductive health and improve your chances of conception.
Essential Oils For Fertility In Women
You can use essential oils therapeutically, but know that it takes time for them to act and show results.
Here, we have listed the oils you may need for stimulating sex hormones and fertility in women. These oils will not only improve your fertility but also ease your mind, uplift your mood and lower stress.
Note: Consult a naturopath or aromatherapist for guidance before trying any of these fertility oils. Medical doctors, however, do not recommend essential oils as treatments.
- Anise seed: This oil is extracted from dried anise seeds and works significantly in promoting menstruation, easing the discomfort of menstrual pain and improving libido. The low levels of estrogole compound help remove the excess estrogen, which would affect fertility (1).
- Calendula: The anti-inflammatory oil helps in regulating the menstrual cycle, treats menstrual pain and discomfort, treats uterine congestion and helps in the case of ovarian cysts. It, therefore, can be used to promote fertility (2).
- Clary sage: This oil influences the estrogen levels in the body and helps regulate hormones naturally. It boosts sex drive, which plays a key role in helping you conceive (3).
- Damiana: The sweet-smelling essential oil has aphrodisiac qualities, regulates the menstrual cycle, treats menstrual cramps and supports the endocrine system (4).
- Eucalyptus: The oil with a woody scent has a soothing effect on the mind and the body. It enhances the production of cervical mucus and treats uterine fibroids, cervical and prostate infections (5).
- Fennel: Sweet fennel oil is known to improve hormonal functioning and regulate menstrual cycle (6). The phytoestrogenic oil enhances estrogen production too (7).
- Frankincense: It relieves stress and restores energy, thus having a positive effect on fertility (8). It also helps relieve symptoms of uterine fibroids, endometriosis, and uterine inflammation that could affect your fertility (9).
- Geranium: This oil helps balance hormones, regulates menstruation, supports the uterus and thus treats endometriosis (10). It also calms you (11).
- German chamomile: This essential oil has anti-inflammatory properties that are known for reducing pain caused by fibroids and cysts, thus improving the chances of conception (12) (9).
- Jasmine: The intense floral fragrance is known to enhance sex drive, and gets you into a lovemaking mood. It also supports the overall reproductive health (13).
- Lavender: It helps control mood swings due to hormonal imbalance. It also lowers stress and balances the endocrine system (14).
- Myrrh: Filled with a balsamic and earthy aroma, myrrh supports the body by regulating the menstrual periods, reduces the menstrual pains, and clears obstructions in the womb (15).
- Patchouli: The enriching and relaxing fragrance of patchouli oil is known to calm anxious feelings. It also improves your sex drive, thus promoting fertility (16).
- Rose otto: Relaxes uterus, regulates the menstrual cycle and treats the pre-menstrual syndrome. It is an aphrodisiac, improves cervical mucus and is helpful for those having trouble to conceive (17).
- Sandalwood: Known to be aphrodisiac, it helps in enhancing the sexual drive. It regulates testosterone levels in the body which is essential for women as well (18).
- Tarragon: Effective in regulating the menstrual cycle and reduces menstrual pain. It will, therefore, improve your chances of conception by improving reproductive health (19).
- Yarrow: This detoxifying oil increases nutrient-dense blood flow around the pelvic region. It is an emmenagogue and stimulates menstrual flow (20).
- Ylang ylang: This essential oil boosts your sexual drive with its aphrodisiac properties. It helps balance hormones and boosts reproductive organs (21).
Essential Oils For Fertility In Men
Essential oils work in men by boosting sperm production, normalizing hormones and treating reproductive dysfunctions.
Some basic oils to consider for men include:
- Angelica: Relaxes nervous system and allows you to enjoy improved intimacy, also energizes reproductive organs (22).
- Basil: Improves sexual instincts, relaxes the mind and stimulates reproductive organs (23). A relaxing massage using the oil will benefit both physically and emotionally.
- Clary sage: Stimulates the pituitary gland to produce hormones. It is known to increase the sperm count and improve testicular structure (24).
- Cumin: Uplifts mood and relieves stress. It is known to improve sperm count and other fertility markers (25).
- Cypress: Raises testosterone levels. It stimulates circulation and improves the flow of energy throughout the body (26).
- Frankincense: Relieves nervous tension during sex, and helps improve sperm count (27).
- Juniper berry: Strengthens kidneys and thus increases the sperm count. It works on fertility by stimulating sperm production (28) (29).
- Patchouli: Stimulates sex hormones, and improves libido (30).
- Jasmine: Strengthens the sex organs and enhances reproductive health.
- Rose: Treats sexual dysfunction, elevates mood and strengthens sex organs.
- Sandalwood: Holds aphrodisiac properties, which improves sex drive and energy. Supports hormonal balance (31).
- Sweet orange: Improves libido and impotence. It eliminates fears associated with pleasure and self-gratification (32).
- Vetiver: Good for reproductive organs and eases sexual tension. It stimulates endocrine glands and circulatory system to support hormone production (33).
- Ylang ylang: Increases libido, treats impotence and improves sexual energy (34).
To get the desired results, you should know how to use these oils.
Ways To Utilize Essential Oils
You can use essential oils in two ways (35):
- Breathing the aroma
- Absorption into the skin
The aroma of these oils can be breathed into the lungs through a bath, air fresheners, steam inhalation, and aromatherapy burners. During a bath or aromatherapy, the tiny particles in the vapors emitted by the essential oils pass down to the lungs. They are then combined with oxygen molecules in the blood and transported throughout the body through the circulatory system.
During a massage, the essential oil particles are absorbed into the skin and are carried throughout the body through blood. Our body system is smart enough to transport the essential oils to the areas that require healing.
How To Make An Essential Oil Blend?
A carrier oil is necessary to make any essential oil blend. Essential oils cannot be used in their concentrated forms when they are strong and powerful. Some of the commonly used carrier oils are:
- Sweet almond
- Fractioned coconut
- Apricot kernel
You can mix two carrier oils or a carrier oil with essential oils. Here is how:
- Take an amber or blue glass bottle that has a tight-fitting cap.
- Sterilize the bottle and its lid in boiling water for about three minutes.
- Let it dry properly since the oil may turn rancid when it mixes with water.
- Fill half of the bottle with a carrier oil, and add some drops of essential oils of your choice.
- Fill the rest of the bottle with carrier oil and cap it tightly.
- Shake the bottle gently so that the oils are mixed properly.
- Store it in a cool and dry place, and you can start using it after a day of preparation.
Fertility Essential Oil Blends
Given below are some oil blends for your idea. You can either try them or make one based on your preferences (36).
- For a hot water bath, add a few drops of the oil to hot bath water to enjoy a soothing and relaxing body shower.
- For a warm compress, put some drops of essential oil in two ounces of hot water. Drop a cotton cloth and use it as a compress.
Complete fertility enhancer (Good for everyday use)
|Oil blend (4oz)||Drops||Bath||Compress|
Menstrual cramps (Good to use before ovulation or during painful periods, ovarian cysts, fibroids, and endometriosis)
|Oil blend (4oz)||Drops||Bath||Compress|
Heavy menstrual bleeding
|Oil blend (4oz)||Drops||Bath||Compress|
Buy quality products
Research about the different brands of oil available and make sure they are of high quality before buying them. You can also ask your health specialist to recommend a good quality product.
Precautions To Follow While Using Essential Oils
- Do not apply concentrated essential oil on the skin directly. Go to a qualified aromatherapist for advice before trying any oil.
- Oil blends can be used every day unless you are trying to conceive or are already pregnant.
- Avoid using the oil immediately after ovulation.
- If the oil gets into your mouth, eye or an open wound, wash them with milk or buttermilk. This milk absorbs and washes off the essential oils. Using water directly can spread the oil around.
Self Care Tips While Using Essential Oils
While using the oils:
- Follow a nutritious diet
- Maintain an active lifestyle
- Manage stress levels
- Avoid exposure to toxins
- Sleep well
- Quit smoking
- Limit alcohol and caffeine intake
- Refrain from using processed sugars
Remember that these oils are herbal remedies and should not be the only treatment method for infertility. They can, however, be used along with medical treatments. In any case, check with your doctor before you start using them. Also, remember to test for sensitivity and allergies by taking a small sample first. If there’s an allergic reaction, stop using it.
Have you tried any essential oil? Share your stories with us.
2. Calendula; U.S. National Library of Medicine (2018)
3. Genevieve Kiger; A Complete Guide for a Healthy Body: A Basic Guide to Natural Total Body Care, page 121
4. C. Rätsch and C. Müller-Ebeling; The Encyclopedia of Aphrodisiacs: Psychoactive Substances for Use in Sexual Practices
5. K. Keville and M. Green; Aromatherapy: A Complete Guide to the Healing Art; page 189
6. JC. Maria; Infertility: Get Pregnant Fast With Herbs & Superfoods Guide
7. M Albert-Puleo; Fennel and anise as estrogenic agents; Journal of Ethnopharmacology (1980), Pages 337-344
8. Sally Lewis; 50 Things You Can Do Today to Increase Your Fertility
9. Alicia Atkinson; Essential Oils for Beauty, Wellness, and the Home: 100 Natural, Non-toxic Non-toxic Recipes for the Beginner and Beyond
10. Carolyn Levett; Reclaim Your Life – Your Guide to Aid Healing of Endometriosis; page 135
11. Alicia Atkinson; Essential Oils for Beauty, Wellness, and the Home
12. J. K Srivastava et al.; Chamomile: A herbal medicine of the past with bright future; Mol Med Report (2011)
13. Vicki Pitman; Aromatherapy: A Practical Approach; page 346
14. Connie Higley; Reference Guide for Essential Oils; page 414
15. Roberta Wilson; Aromatherapy: Essential Oils for Vibrant Health and Beauty; page 270
16. R. K. Puri and R. Puri; Natural Aphrodisiacs: Myth or Reality; page 161
17. Dr. Paul Gouda; Choosing the Sex of Your Baby: Made Simple, Made Certain; page 98
18. Hongratanaworakit T, Heuberger E, Buchbauer G; Evaluation of the effects of East Indian sandalwood oil and alpha-santalol on humans after transdermal absorption; Planta Med. (2004)
19. Optimising Fertility with Essential Oils; Probotanic
20. Soumy Ana; Fertility: Conception and Contraception
21. S. Curtis et al.; Neal’s Yard Remedies Essential Oils; page 53
22. Brigitte Mars; The Sexual Herbal Prescriptions for Enhancing Love and Passion
23. Kylie Thompson; Aromatherapy for the Emotions; page 87
24. Valerie Ann Worwood; The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy; page 245
25. Edited by Jeanne Rose and Susan Earler; World of Aromatherapy; page 281
26. Valerie Ann Worwood; The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy; page 244
27. Edited by Suresh C Sikka and Wayne J.G. Hellstrom; Bioenvironmental Issues Affecting Men’s Reproductive and Sexual Health ; page 559
28. Jorge Valera; Aventuras a la Montaña Encantada; Page 48
29. Denise Whichello Brown; Change Your Mood With Aromatherapy: Teach Yourself
30. Jordan Rubin; Essential Oils: Ancient Medicine
31. Dr. Josh Axe; Eat Dirt: Why Leaky Gut May Be the Root Cause of Your Health Problems and 5 Surprising Steps to Cure it
32. Laurie Buchanan; Note to Self: A Seven-Step Path to Gratitude and Growth
33. Linde; The Book
34. Edited by Waguih William Ishak; The Textbook of Clinical Sexual Medicine; page 424
35. How Do I Choose and Use Essential Oils; University of Minnesota (2016)
36. Dalene Barton-Schuster; Aromatherapy for Fertility; Natural Fertility Info (2018)
Latest posts by Rebecca Malachi (see all)
- 32 Best Essential Oils To Improve Fertility In Men And Women - October 11, 2018
- Birthing Ball Exercises During Pregnancy, Labor And Beyond - September 28, 2018
- Lightning Crotch: Causes, Symptoms And Tips To Deal With It - September 28, 2018