Taking care of twins requires double the effort. And somehow the job must get done in spite of limited time, physical abilities, and people to help.
No doubt these ‘responsibilities X 2’ are overwhelming for parents. But once fulfilled, you can enjoy twice the satisfaction and reward. Right? Just a bit of planning along with a fewtips will help you pass the test.
Tips For Taking Care Of Twins
Here are some useful tips to look after the twins and have some relaxation too:
- Get your babies on the same napping and feeding schedule. This will ensure that you are not feeding and putting a baby to sleep all day. Dr. Shelly Flais, pediatrician and author of the book Raising Twins, suggests that “when one twin wakes up to feed, wake the other baby too”. This might mean going against the rule of not waking a sleeping baby, but is practical.
Use a twin feeding pillow so you can feed both babies at the same time. Once they are in sync, managing them will become easier. Remember, however, toconsult your pediatrician before starting any sleep and feed training to ensure that your babies are ready for it.
- Make a note of the twins’ schedule. For a couple of days, write down routines tohelp you get your babies on the same schedule. Keep track of the the time and number of feedings and naps, as well as the number of diapers consumed. If you have difficulty feeding both babies together, choose to breastfeed one and bottle feed the other by expressing your breastmilk into a bottle.
- Experiment with different ways to put the twins to sleep. Putting two babies to sleep at one time can be a Herculean task. Here are some strategies you may try:
- Take them around in a stroller
- Wear one baby in a carrier and the other in a swing
- Swaddle them in cribs
- Place them in bassinets
- Lay them on a floor blanket
You may also take note of the places your twins fall asleep easily, and try the above methods in those places.
- Invest in a double stroller or twin carrier bag. It will be difficult for you to carry your babies constantly and at the same time. Therefore, try to obtain a double stroller for your evening walks or other leisurely activities. You may also use the double stroller for carrying all supplies that the twins need.
[ Read : 1st Step 6 In 1 Baby Carrier Instructions ]
- Ask for help. Don’t hesitate to ask for help; taking care of twins is exhausting. Ask whomever you trust – family members, friends, or neighbors to assist you. You might also have your parents move in for the first few months to help out, if they’re willing. If this type of assistance isn’t available, consider hiring nannies or babysitters, if affordable.
- Join a twin moms’ group Local or online clubs for moms of twins help parents connect with each other and share experiences, tips, and techniques. These groups will also keep you socially engaged, reducing feelings of isolation that are common among parents with young children, and offer an opportunity to get moral support from those who are in a similar situation.
[ Read: How Much Milk Does Your Baby Need ]
- Shop baby supplies online. Having twin babies means running out of baby supplies at lightning speed. To save you time and energy, buy daily essentials like wipes, diapers, and creams, online. Buying online will give you better deals and help you track how long the stock lasts.
- Purchasing two of every item is not required. One of the most common mistakes new parents of twins do is buying two of each thing. While you will have to buy two of essential things like high-chairs, car seats, strollers, and cribs, you don’t have to purchase double the toys, books, creams, or talcum powders. This will save you money in the long run.
[ Read : Syga Baby High Chair ]
- Go for neutral gender clothes. If your twins are a boy and girl, you don’t have to buy them all the clothes based on their gender. You may want to dress up your princess in frocks occasionally, but for daily wear, you may go for unisex clothes so that you can interchange them.
- Don’t separate the twins once they are old enough to sleep through the night. You may think of having them sleep in different rooms so that if one is awake, he doesn’t wake the other.However, if you let them sleep in the same room they will learn to sleep through each other’s cries and noise. However, check what suits your babies’ preferences, and adjust accordingly.
- Set apart some time as your “me” time. No matter how well you plan your tasks, you are bound to feel exhausted by the end of the day. You need some time for yourself to relax and bounce back. Otherwise,you will wind up exhausted and overwhelmed with your daily routine. Do whatever you can to take a break from your chores to do what you enjoy most such as watching TV, relaxing in a hot bath, or reading a book. This will help you to rejuvenate and stay motivated, happy, and healthy while parenting your twins.
- Do chores alternatively. Talk to your husband and work out time shifts for attending the babies. You might tend to them together or separately, whatever works best for your family. Your husband can take the babies out for a stroll, buy the groceries, or do laundry. You both can opt for separate “me” times, to ensure you both find time to relax to prevent burnout.
- Plan ahead. Before bathing your twins, lay out towels, diapers, and clothes. Keep a bag packed with these essentials as well aswater and snacks to use when you goout with the twins. You can simply grab the bag and go, sparing yourself sometime each time you go out.
[ Read: How And When To Use A Nipple Shield ]
- Use alternatives like a travel cot or twin carriers to put your babies in while you dochores. You can hold one of your twins while the other rests in the cot, or place the babies together while you finish your tasks.
- Bathe the twins at the same time. Either accept help from someone else or buy two infant bathing seats so you can bathe them together. You will save time and energy if you can manage to pull off a double baby bath time.
- Use freezer food. Cooking for the family while caring for two infants is no small feat. Prepare freezer food that you can simply reheat for supper. You may also cook crockpot recipes. No more standing by the stove for ages. Simply toss the ingredients, and eat prepared meals hours later.
Follow the tips above for an easier and more organized day. Next, we address some commonly asked questions of new parents of twins.
Frequently asked questions
1. I’m finding it difficult to cope with my twins. Is this normal?
Yes, it’s absolutely normal to find yourself in this situation. You are likely to worry about several things – if you are feeding both babies well, paying equal attention to them, doing anything wrong, etc. This is why it is necessary to seek physical and emotional support from friends, family, or professionals to make your day manageable.
2. How should I plan my maternity leave?
Plan your maternity leave depending on what suits your family. You may schedule it so that your husband can take his paternity leave just after your leave ends. This will ensure that at least one parent is with your twins until they complete their first year.
If you have sorted out help for childcare then you can prepare to go to work. However, if your maternity leave cannot be extended and you cannot fathom returning regoing to work, talk to your employer. They may be able to offer you extended leave, work-from-home, or a part-time position. You may also consider taking a break from work for some time, if affordable for you.
Raising twins means twice the amount of sleep-deprived nights and stress, but it also brings double the blessings and joy for you and your family. Make the most of this parenting time by taking slow and steady steps. Seek help whenever possible. If you are feeling extremely stressed out, talk to a physician.
[ Read: Newborn Feeding Schedule ]
Do you have any tips to share with us on how to take care of twins? Let us know in the comments section below.
- Baby Teething: What Are Its Signs
- Tips To Treat New Born Baby’s Body Hair
- Precautions To Take Care Of While Using Diapers
- When Can Babies Drink Water
- How To Use Babyhug Comfort Nest 3 Way Baby Carrier?