Does your toddler sweats a lot? Are you worried about his excessive sweating? If you nodded along worriedly, then it might be a good idea for you to read our post. Here, we talk about excessive sweating in toddlers, how you can treat it and what you can do about it.
What Is Hyperhidrosis?
Perspiration typically occurs to help normalize the body temperature. Sweat that evaporates from the body cools it down. However, in some individuals, including kids and adults, excessive sweating can occur. Excessive sweating or hyperhidrosis mostly occurs during the night when your toddler is sleeping.
Some of the areas that are most susceptible to toddler excessive sweating include:
[ Read: Night Sweats In Toddlers ]
Causes Of Hyperhidrosis In Toddlers:
Hyperhidrosis occurs in any age group. But, in toddlers it’s a common phenomenon because a toddler’s temperature regulation system isn’t mature. Also, toddlers have more sweat glands in proportion to their body size. Another reason for excess sweat is that they have sleep more soundly than adults.
There are no specific reasons for excessive sweating in the body. However, there are a few specific causes of the condition. Some of the reasons for excessive sweating in toddlers include:
- Overactive sweat glands
- Due to a chronic disease
- Hormonal imbalance
- Any infection in the body
[ Read: Excessive Drooling In Toddlers ]
Diagnosing Hyperhidrosis In Toddlers:
Certain physical tests can help determine the presence of hyperhidrosis in toddlers. To understand areas where your child’s sweats heavily, the doctor will use simple diagnostic tests. Some of these tests include:
1. Paper Test:
Your physician will place a special type of paper on the area that sweats excessively. AS the paper absorbs the sweat, the physician collects the paper and weighs it. The weight of the paper measures the amount of sweat that the specific body part secretes.
2. Starch Iodine test:
The physician will apply iodine solution to the sweaty area and post that he will sprinkle some starch on it. If the area becomes purple or dark blue in colour, it means that part of the body exhibits symptoms of hyperhidrosis.
[ Read: Causes Of Body Odor In Toddlers ]
Treating Hyperhidrosis In Toddlers:
1. Surgical Treatment:
Endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy (ETS) is a surgical method that helps treat hyperhidrosis. Doctors usually cut the nerves that cause excessive sweating. However, there are some risks associated with the treatment that include:
- Nerve Damage
Consider surgery as the last resort if nothing else works.
2. Topical Treatment:
Topical treatment includes all the medicines that are applied on skin viz. Anticholinergic and antiperspirants medicines.
3. Oral Medication:
Sometimes your doctor will prescribe some oral medicines for your kid. These medicines include oxybutynin, propantheline, glycopyrrolate, etc. However, there are some side effects of oral medication, which can include:
- Urinary problems
- Dry Mouth
- Blurred vision
- Increased heart rate
[ Read: Bad Breath In Toddlers ]
Preventing Hyperhidrosis In Toddlers:
Some of these steps can help prevent your toddler’s excess sweating:
- Do not cover your child with a heavy quilt when he goes to sleep. Rather cover him up with a sheet made of a lighter fabric.
- You can also adjust the room temperature and ensure the room is not too hot and humid for your toddler. A humid room will increase sweating.
We hope you found our post useful! Is your toddler sweating a lot? If he does, then how do you manage the symptoms?
Share any tips or suggestions you have here. Help fellow mommies deal with the symptoms of hyperhidrosis in their toddlers. Leave a comment below, they would love to hear from you.
- How To Handle ‘Teeth Grinding During Sleep’ In Toddlers?
- Bronchiolitis In Toddlers – Causes, Symptoms And Treatments
- Sore Throat In Toddlers – 8 Symptoms & 4 Treatments
- 8 Serious Signs And Symptoms Of Insomnia In Toddlers
Latest posts by Hansika Kaushik (see all)
- Roseola In Children - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - November 30, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Sodium Citrate During Pregnancy? - November 26, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Turnip During Pregnancy? - November 23, 2015
- Is Vanilla Extract Safe During Pregnancy? - November 17, 2015
- Tay-Sachs Disease In Children – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - November 4, 2015
- Ventricular Septal Defect In Children - All You Need To Know - October 31, 2015
- Color Blindness In Toddlers - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatments - October 21, 2015
- Hot Flashes In Children - Causes, Symptoms And Treatment - September 21, 2015
- Stomach Ulcer During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatments - September 15, 2015
- Port Wine Stains On Babies - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - September 14, 2015