Family photo ideas are a great way to preserve memories. Isn’t it? Photos capture the essence of a moment. Whether growing up children, parents’ affection, or a fun event, every picture reminds you of the happy times spent together. Although in recent times, taking pictures is no big deal. They capture the most genuine feelings of people. And, candid or unposed photography is indeed the best.
A planned family photoshoot is a great idea once in a while. While having a few images you love and want to recreate is great, your photographer should be able to help you with adjustable poses and guide you through your family photo session to capture your memories. In this post, we share some of the most creative photoshoot ideas that can bring the entire family together in a single frame.
Outdoor Family Photoshoot Ideas
Outdoor shoots are always fun. Shooting in scenic locations adds to the beauty of the picture. You have several things to use as props and backdrops for any family picture. Here are a few ideas for you.
1. Walk in the park: Natural light, natural space, and a refreshing time with family. This picture perfect moment can be captured at a park or in the woods or at any other outdoor space where there is greenery. Clicked at the right time, the pictures will be no less than stunning.
2. Beach fun: When a family is on the beach, everything is so exciting. And one should not miss capturing those moments. Also, you can have mixed images, some in water, and some on the land to complete the family album.
3. Architecture around: A good family portrait with siblings, grandparents, and even cousins could be one with a spectacular background. Find a monument or a museum in your city and have an excellent photoshoot with your close ones.
4. City lights: Every city looks so bright and nice at night. You can stand in front of any of your favorite locations or landmarks with your loved ones and get sweet selfies.
5. Near the mountains: If you’re the family that loves going on adventure treks for a vacation together, a photoshoot near the hills or the mountains can be a wonderful idea. Start clicking pictures right from the journey until the destination. Group shots or images full of laughter would serve as a lovely memory for life.
6. Swimming pool: Water time is always fun and can create a lot of happy faces. Another cool family photoshoot idea is at the pool, where you could just be swimming, or playing games, or having fun. Get an outdoor family photoshoot done in and around a swimming pool and see how happy you will be with the final pictures.
7. Neighborhood: A family spends so many beautiful moments in the neighborhood. A major part of childhood is spent playing around the neighborhood. Why not freeze those lovely times and remember the happy times always? Remember to take your pet along for the photoshoot.
8. Playground: Do you play sports with your children? Then don’t ignore those special learning moments of your life. They may seem trivial, but when you take a closer look, they are worthy of being captured by the camera.
9. Garden: Flowers, leaves, and natural surroundings can be refreshing and make the perfect settings for a pleasant family photoshoot. Visit a botanical garden in your city and plan a photoshoot amidst natural surroundings.
10. Restaurant: Most families celebrate special moments such as birthdays, anniversaries, graduation, and promotions at restaurants, where a few fun and happy moments can be captured. Try clicking a few nice pictures together every time you go to a restaurant with the family, and you could find one that can be framed.
11. Farm: Animal lovers can have a fun time at the local farm. You can click pictures with animals or pose in the pumpkin patch. A family conversation on a hayride can be a fun moment to capture.
12. Zoo: Another place for animal lovers is the zoo. Visit the local zoo and try posing in front of your family’s favorite animal. Once the shoot is done, you can even chill, explore the zoo, and have fun.
13. Camp: You can create a treasure of memories on a camping trip. Click pictures of setting up a tent together to roasting marshmallows. A candid picture around a campfire can make your family picture special and memorable.
14. Botanical garden: For a natural and colorful background, a local botanical garden can be a good choice. You will find new types of trees and flowers to pose with. Also, the manicured gardens can make your family picture look beautiful.
15. Fishing: Capturing a fishing outing can make your family picture a reminder of the fun time. Visit a local pond and any picturesque fishing place with your fishing rods, landing nets, and colorful buckets. A picture with each family member holding their catch for the day can make an amazing click.
16. Lake: A serene lake can make a great backdrop for a family picture. You can even click swimming pictures together and enjoy a family picnic by the lake.
17. Outdoor movie theater: Clicking a family picture at a movie theater is not common because of the poor lighting. But if you have a good camera and a happy family enjoying a movie, then a drive-in theater can be a great location for your picture. Your popcorn and colas can be your props.
18. Kayaking: A family that kayaks together stays together. A kayaking family picture can be fun to shoot and will bring back fond memories years later when you see the picture. It is a great idea to get the entire family to do an activity together.
19. Boating: A family on a sailboat in the middle of the ocean can make a breezy picture. You can decide to wear colors according to the color of your boat and shades that will complement the blue ocean.
20. Bridge: If you live close to a bridge surrounded by trees and is not too crowded, it can be a cool location for a family picture. It will take some research to find such a bridge, but it is totally worth the hard work.
Indoor Family Shoot Ideas
A family spends most of the time at home or indoors. They laugh together, eat together, and play together, creating moments that can be captured on camera. Here, we have a few indoor setting ideas for a traditional family photo shoot.
21. Backyard: Do you often have barbeque parties or barbeque get-togethers in your backyard? Surely, you might have some moments then, which you recall again and again. Then why not try and capture them with the camera as well?
22. Dining room: A family that eats together, stays together. Do capture your special mealtime moments and treasure them later in your life, when you miss living with your family. Decorate the room with candles to make the images look more magical.
23. Bookstore or library: If you are a family of book lovers and enjoy storytelling, then a photo shoot in a library or a bookstore, surrounded by books, can be a unique idea. Plan the poses in a way that every image conveys a story.
24. Photo studio: If you want a big family portrait, then you can have a professional photoshoot done at the nearest photo studio. They have a variety of backdrops and settings, bright lights, and everything else to make your photoshoot a glamorous one.
25. Relative or friend’s home: Do you have a relative or a friend who you like to hang out with most? If yes, why not take a few pics at their place? If you are family friends, then you could gather all the family members and have a photo session together.
26. Cafe: Families often go out to cafes in the evenings, for a coffee or an ice cream. Those are such happy times and can be ideal for an indoor photoshoot for your family. Pick a café, grab your camera, and start capturing the special moments.
27. Theater or museum: These places are unique and can make wonderful spaces for a family portrait. There is a charm in such places, which makes the pictures come out well.
28. Kitchen: A family cooking together would be a delight to watch. Not to forget the fun and exciting moments that are made when you cook together. You can plan an indoor photoshoot in your kitchen, baking a cake or cooking a meal.
29. Bedroom: It is not just couples who take pictures in the bedroom. A family can have a photoshoot done in the bedrooms too, with the children jumping, baby playing, and the parents laughing. That and many such great moments full of warm hugs could be good to be captured in a photograph.
30. Patio: This is a simplistic backdrop in your home, where you can have nice pictures with your family. So, plan an indoor photo shoot on your patio while you have coffee and cupcakes, along with a big smile on your face. You can call your close friends and family for a quick reunion and have a fun-filled photoshoot.
31. Indoor garden: For a plant lover, plants are also a part of the family. So, why not include them too in your family picture? If you have a home garden, then pose around your precious plants and click candid pictures together.
32. Home office: When you spend most part of your life working, clicking a family picture in your home office can seal happy memories. If you all dress up in formals, the picture will look well-coordinated and make the theme more appealing.
33. Bathroom: No you don’t have to shoot in your bathing suits but if you have young children, shooting a picture giving them a bath can make a fun and interesting click. However, ensure that your bathroom has plenty of natural light for your picture to look great.
34. Staircase: Decorate the wall along the stairs in your house with family pictures, and you can all pose along the stairs. This can make an alluring picture, especially if you have young children as they look cute peeking through the balustrade.
35. Hallway: It seem like a cramped space but can make a great backdrop for a family picture if you play around with the right lighting. Use fairy lights to light up the space and click an illuminated family picture.
36. Hotel: Some hotels have classy decor and ample natural light. Clicking a monotone family picture can be a great idea. Try to pose in front of a painting that catches your eye and make your picture look more pleasing.
Family Photo Outfit Ideas
When someone says let’s take a picture, the first thing you check is if you’re dressed right. And if there’s a family photoshoot, then the question of ‘what to wear?’ definitely arises. Should you wear matching clothes or the same colors or some unique costumes? We have some ideas for you on that.
37. Whites and blues: For simplistic photo portraits, the combination of white and blue looks no less than perfect. All the family members can wear white shirts or t-shirts with blue bottoms or any other dress in the color combination to look elegant.
38. Bold and bright colors: You can also try opting for vibrant shades that can infuse liveliness in your family picture. Shades of red, orange, green, and yellow when used in a coordinated way can make a picture pop.
39. Complementary colors with the background: Keep the location in mind and plan the outfits accordingly. For instance, if it is a natural location, then greens, browns, and blues would be a perfect choice. If the setting is outdoors, then bright colors would look good.
40. Coordinated outfits: Every family member should wear something that coordinates with the other’s outfit. For instance, if one is wearing a scarf, the other can wear a sweater or similar clothing. And not something too casual. This way, there is no mismatch.
41. Accessories: To brighten up or highlight any family photo, you can add accessories. Hats, necklaces, belts, or scarves can be an interesting addition to any family photo.
42. Theme-based outfits: Having a theme for a family photo can be a brilliant idea. However, every person who is going to be in the picture should stick to the theme. Some wonderful ideas can be Halloween, Christmas, western party, and country theme.
43. Avoid one color: Make sure that not everyone is wearing the same color from top to bottom. There should be two or more colors in the outfits. For instance, white, grey, and black is one combination. Red, white, and blue is another combination.
44. Weather in mind: Make sure you are dressing up according to the weather. If it is winter, wear warm clothes. And if it is summer, you can wear casual clothes. That helps you be comfortable and tell when the photo was taken.
45. Comfy clothes: Outfits chosen should be comfortable as well. Otherwise, the person wearing it would have discomfort on their faces. Avoid forcing the kids to wear something they do not like. Let them pick their outfits, something decent for a photograph, and pose as they like.
46. Denim pants: Posing in denims can give you the relaxed, country feel. You can wear any shirt or t-shirt but the bottom should preferably be denim. The denims can also be of different shades of the same color to make the theme look coordinated.
47. T-shirt with a message: You may not necessarily wear the same t-shirt but you can opt for t-shirts that have a message written on it. For instance, the father can wear a t-shirt with ‘Dad’ written on it.
Prop Ideas For Photos
Props can add a unique appeal to the pictures, while the family can have fun using them during the photo shoot. Here are some good ideas for props.
48. Chalkboard: If you want to remember the day when the photo was being taken or write a special message for the family, you can write it down on the chalkboard and hang it in a corner.
49. Picture frame: There are many varieties of picture frames that you may use for a family portrait. You may keep the children in the frame, and elders can stand outside. You can get as creative as you can with the frames to make the family photo memorable.
50. Vehicle: A car or a bike or a bicycle in the background could add a distinctive effect to the family picture. It can be your old vehicle or a rented one.
51. Letter prop: You can find big wooden letters, which can be used as props for the family picture. A person can hold a letter of their name. Or they can hold the letters ‘F,’ ‘A,’ ‘M,’ ‘I,’ ‘L,’ and ‘Y’ if there are enough people. You can come up with creative ideas.
52. Umbrella: If it is winter or the monsoons, and you are shooting outdoors, then you can use colorful umbrellas as props. It would be a one-of-a-kind idea.
53. Flowers: Bright flowers add a refreshing and positive touch to any family photo. Either one person can hold a bunch of flowers in hand, or all of them can hold a flower or bunch each. The photo will surely come out well.
54. Food: Ice creams, cupcakes, and doughnuts. These can bring an instant smile to anyone’s face. And then, the family photo would be nothing but a perfect snap.
55. Balloons and bubbles: To add a fun element to a family photo, the use of balloons and bubbles can be a good idea. This works well when there are little kids in the family.
56. Books: When using a library or school as a backdrop, books are the most relevant props for such an image. Pick books with beautiful covers or the ones that you and your family have enjoyed reading.
57. Candles: These are not only for romantic pictures but can also add sparkle to a family picture. For a family picture near the dining table, some beautiful white candles on vintage candelabras can make an amazing prop.
58. Hats: A common hat or even different types of hats for each family member can add charm to the family photo. Same hat in different colors or different hats in the same color can add to the color theme chosen for the picture.
59. Seashells: A beach theme family picture is incomplete without seashells. To make it more unique, you may even color the seashells and use it for the photoshoot. Seashells can even be stitched onto your clothes to incorporate more creativity.
60. Wooden crates: In an outdoor setting, wooden crates can add to the rustic feel of the picture. Add some hay to these crates and your country-themed setup is ready to enhance your family picture.
61. Kites: For a monotone dress theme, colorful kites in the backdrop can create an interesting contrast for the picture. And if you have young children, they might have a lot of fun playing and posing with these kites.
62. Toys: For an indoor shoot with kids, toys can make good props. Especially your children’s favorite toys. If the backdrop is your child’s playroom, then colorful toys are the best props.
63. Musical instruments: A huge piano or a guitar, whichever music instrument you have at home can be used for the family picture. It is not necessary for all the members to have a musical instrument with them. The entire family can pose around one instrument or one member can hold the musical instrument while the rest can pose around them.
64. Art supplies: For an artsy family, using art supplies such as a sketchbook or paint and brushes can be a viable option. Smearing some color on each other’s faces and clothes can make the picture more fun.
65. Sports equipment: For a sport family, sports equipment such as a football or skates also make great props. Dressing in sports outfits is not necessary. Just ensure that the equipment used adds some value to the image.
66. Family heirlooms: Items of sentimental value passed down from older generations can be preserved in memory by using it in a family photo. It can be jewelry or a machine or even a piece of furniture. Try to come up with some creative and innovative ways to use it.
Unique Family Photo Ideas
Instead of having simple portraits or capturing the candid pictures of a family get-together, you can have some unique family photographs too.
67. Tribute to the legends: Who is your family’s favorite legend? You can dress up as that person or character or just wear t-shirts of that person and pose for a unique family picture.
68. Family outing: Go for an adventure or have a picnic or enjoy a road trip. Take some candid pictures of your family on the go and make a family collage.
69. Work mode: Parents doing their work and children studying; this can be one idea of a ‘family in action’ photograph. Or all the family members can dress up in one uniform of their parent’s profession. For instance, if a parent is a doctor, then everyone can dress up as doctors and nurses and get a picture.
70. Professions: Parents can dress up in a profession they would like to have pursued while kids can dress up in a costume related to the professions they dream of pursuing. For instance, the father may be a doctor but he can dress up as a rockstar, while the daughter can dress up as a beauty queen.
71. Rainy picture: Why not have a picture in which the entire family is dancing and enjoying the rain? That sounds interesting, right?
72. Sporty family: Do you all enjoy a family sport together? Then wear the jerseys of your favorite team, with your names printed on them, and get a snap.
73. Silhouette: A family silhouette holding each other’s hands could be another unique idea for a family photograph. It could be framed and kept as a lovely memory.
74. Reflection in water: Capturing a family’s reflection in water or even a mirror can make a unique photo idea. Ensure that the reflection is stable or the picture might be unclear.
75. Mural: Walking past a mural or a chalk art in the city can also be considered a good picture idea. Ensure that the mural is not of any negative idea.
76. Glow in the dark: Up for an idea uncommon and bold? Try using glow-in-the-dark body paint to click a family picture in the dark. It may best suit a nighttime photoshoot.
77. Neon light: Neon lights can help create modern and artistic pictures. It is best suited for an urban or futuristic setting.
78. Shadow on a wall: With the use of lights, a beautiful collective shadow can be created on a wall. With some special effects, the shadow image can also be enhanced.
79. Trampoline: Bouncing on a trampoline is fun and when the whole family is mid-air, the picture looks exciting. This is especially a great idea when you have kids in the family.
80. Swings: Playing on a swing in a park seems like a fun-filled affair. Parents can sit on the swings and have their kids pose in such a way that it looks like they are pushing the adults.
81. Cartoon characters: If you have young children, then dressing up as their favorite cartoon characters can be a fun idea.
82. Disney characters: Cartoons are aplenty but if the choice confuses you, then opt for Disney characters. This can be a great idea for little girls who would love to be dressed as a Disney princess.
83. Fantasy theme: Dress up as fairies, goblins, and any fantastical creatures that may seem interesting. Create your fantasy world for a memorable family picture.
84. Music band: Bring the leather pants, black jackets, and guitars. Dressing up as a rock band can make a cool family picture.
85. Movie characters: Do you have a favorite family movie? If yes, then dressing up as characters from that movie can be a great idea for a unique family picture.
86. Sci-fi: Futuristic attires are cool and fashionable. Space outfits or completely new alien costumes can make a fun theme for a family picture.
87. Ziplining: Having a family picture with members suspended mid-air is a unique idea. Ensure that there are as many parallel ziplines as the number of people in your family to have photos together.
Fun-filled Family Photo Ideas
Do you want a funny family photo? One that makes everyone laugh when they see it?
88. Upside down: The elders of the family can hold the children upside down. That would be a funny snap of a family. But be careful when doing so.
89. Funny costume and makeup: All the family members can dress up in a funny way and get a family portrait. This picture would serve as a funny memory for a lifetime.
90. Giggles: The parents can be kissing, and the children can be giggling watching them. This would be a cute and funny picture of a family.
91. One over other: The family members can stack on one another and freeze that in an image. It would be fun to see family members on one another.
92. Teasing: A snap of the family members walking in line or marching could be an interesting photo idea. And if they tease each other while doing so, then such candid moments could turn out to be funny snaps.
93. Silly poses and expressions: The easiest and funny family photo would be when the family members pose as they want. They can stare, make faces, dance, and do anything so that the photographer can freeze those moments for a funny family photo.
94. Twisted poses: Standing not in line or a specific pattern, but in weird and twisted poses would make a funny picture of the family. Examples of such patterns could be an exclamation mark or a question mark.
95. Superhero costumes: Family members wearing superman, batman, and other superhero costumes can pose for a family picture. That would be a fun photo idea. You could choose Marvel or DC or mix them all and have your own team of heroes.
96. Twister: Use a twister mat or play the twister game to get family members in a funny posture to click the perfectly imperfect family picture. Remember to wear stretchable and comfortable clothes.
97. Tug of war: All the male members of the family can be on one side of the rope, while the female members can hold onto the other side of the rope to pose for a family picture.
98. Dance a pose: Play music in the background and the moment the music stops the family members have to freeze in whichever position they were dancing. It will be fun to capture family members in funny positions.
99. Back posing: Family members have their backs facing the camera while twisting their head to face the camera. It’s a weird pose but fun to shoot.
100. Hairy affair: Try posing with unusual hairstyles or hair colors. Use wigs or lots of hairspray to get a funky look that will make every member look different.
101. Emoticons: Making emoticon expressions can also be a good pose for a family picture. To make it more interesting the members can hold the emoticon placard in their hand while making that same expression.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What should I wear for family pictures?
You can wear clothes in neutral colors and coordinating (but not matching) patterns. If you are going for a matching pattern theme, you can opt for different pieces of clothing. The clothes and shoes should complement the location of your shoot. When at home, you can wear light clothes and casual shoes. For outdoor shoots, go for boots and thicker clothes.
2. When should I get a family photo?
You can get family pictures done during any major event in your family, it could be birthdays or special occasions. You can also opt for yearly festival photos when all your family members are together.
3. Is it better to hold a family photoshoot in the morning or the afternoon?
Most photographers prefer early morning and late afternoon for taking pictures. The first two hours after sunrise and sunset are preferred. If you are an early bird, you can get your photos clicked in the morning. If you have young children, late afternoons can be a good time. Remember that all your family members must be well-fed and well-rested before a photos
Pick the best idea from the list to capture a memorable moment. You may go for photography in the lap of nature or a neighborhood park or restaurant. You can also have great clicks indoors. Ensure the lighting is correct, and the smiles on your faces come from within. You can plan if you have a theme in mind and pose with props for unique effects. So get several pictures clicked, and get the best framed and hung on the wall. The entire event should be a relaxing and enjoyable one for the family.
Infographic: Family Photo Shoot Ideas
Photo shoots present one with the opportunity to capture precious moments and free them for life. We have a list of ideas prepared in the following infographic to help you set up an exciting photoshoot that you can enjoy with your family. So, choose the one that you think will be the best.
- Family photos help capture the essence of togetherness and happy moments.
- Outdoor family photoshoots in the park, beach or nightlights allow capturing beautiful moments and also provide bonding time.
- Choosing coordinated outfits and theme-based photoshoots to get the perfect family photo.