Does your teenager feel weak? Does she suffer from shivers in the summer? Does she complain of muscle ache? If you nodded along gravely, consider reading our post. Your dear daughter might have a fever. What is a fever? How do you spot it? How to treat it? Read our post and get all the answers here.
A fever is the development of abnormally high body temperature. When your child’s temperature crosses the normal average temperature of 37 C or 98.6 F, she has a fever. High temperature affects her body adversely and makes her feel weaker than normal. If the fever is left untreated, it can lead to other health conditions. If your daughter has a fever, seek immediate medical aid for her.
Causes Of Fever In Teens:
A Fever can occur due to many reasons. Here are some prominent reasons for high body temperature in teens:
- A bacterial infection
- A viral infection
- Extreme sunburn
- Inflammatory conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis and synovium
- Exposure to extreme heat
- A malignant tumor
- Certain medications, such as powerful antibiotics and drugs, help treat seizures or high blood pressure.
- Immunizations can also cause high fever in teens (1)
[ Read: Symptoms Of Seizures In Teens ]
Symptoms Of Fever In Teenagers:
High body temperature is the most common symptoms of a fever in teenagers. However, the causes may lead to other symptoms, which include:
- Excess sweating
- Muscle aches
- Loss of appetite
- General weakness
- General body pain (2)
[ Read: Loss of Appetite In Teens ]
Treating Fever In Teens:
Treating fever in teens is important, and you need to do it quick. Here are some effective remedies that help alleviate fever in teens:
1. Increase Her Fluid Intake:
Encourage your teen to drink plenty of water daily. Drinking a good amount of water will help her prevent dehydration while bringing down high body temperature. Make sure she at least eight to ten glasses of water every day.
[ Read: Causes Of Heartburn In Teens ]
2. Insist That She Rests:
Make sure your teen gets enough rest. Her regular activities are quite hectic and can take a toll on her health. Having sufficient rest will help her recover from weakness quicker.
3. Prevent Teen From Direct Sunlight:
Coming in contact with heat only aggravate the symptoms of fever. So prevent your teenager from coming in contact with direct, scorching sunlight. Let her lie in a cool spot or the shade.
[ Read: Glandular Fever In Teenagers ]
4. Use A Wet Cloth:
Take some salt with water and mix it well. Prepare a saline solution and dip a clean cloth in it. Fold the cloth and place it on your teen’s head to bring her temperature down.
If her fever refuses to abate, consult your doctor and give her some aspirin. Aspirin helps mitigate inflammation and pain due to the fever and relieves her condition. Don’t rush in; let your doctor take the decision.
6. Acetaminophen Or Ibuprofen:
Consult an experienced physician and provide her the right dose of Acetaminophen or Ibuprofen. Avoid an overdose of the medication, as it can result in kidney or liver damage and prove fatal. If her temperature continues to be high even after following the medication, seek medical assistance immediately but avoid using any other drug without your doctor’s consent. (3)
Seeking medical assistance without immediately will help cure her fever quickly and effectively. So, if your teen suffers from fever, see a doctor soon.
Did your teen ever suffer from fever? How did you cure your teen fever? Share your experiences here. Fellow moms would love to hear from you. Leave a comment below.
- Top 10 Causes Of Stress In Teens
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) In Teens
- Meningitis In Teens – Causes, Symptoms And Treatment
- Low Blood Pressure (Hypotension) In Teens
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016
- 12 Health Benefits And 10 Facts About Oranges For Kids - June 16, 2016
- 16 Joyous Luau (Hawaiian) Party Ideas For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 35 Lesser-Known Facts About Great White Sharks For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 30 Unknown Sound Wave Facts And Information For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Can Kids Drink Kombucha? - Know Here! - May 27, 2016
- Tea Tree Oil For Kids - 15 Uses And 9 Safety Tips - May 18, 2016
- Top 10 Hockey Facts, Rules, And Safety Tips For Kids - May 13, 2016