Your little one’s first birthday is one of the biggest milestones that call for a celebration. As parents, you have to do some homework, such as make the guest list, plan the party theme, buy gifts, and, most importantly, come up with exciting food ideas. Remember that the tiny tots attending the party would only be excited about the fancy and sugary food on the table, besides the gifts. So, you should have attractive goodies ready for them.
We have some creative first birthday food ideas in this post to make your planning process easier. The yummy dessert and snack ideas would impress both children and their parents. But before planning the menu, you should figure out the party theme and the guest list.
What Kind Of First Birthday Party Are You Planning?
You can come up with the food menu only when you have the basic idea of the birthday party.
- Decide if it is going to be a small snack or high tea party, or you want to host a lavish lunch or dinner.
- If you are planning for a simplistic evening party, then you can make a handful of items at home. Your family members or close friends could help you prepare some delectable recipes.
- If it is going to be a big party, you may have to hire a caterer and plan a mixed menu. Make sure you find a well-known catering agency that specializes in making the best quality kid-friendly food items.
Who Are The Guests?
Having a guest list ready would make it easier to figure out the quantity and type of food to have at your baby’s first birthday party.
- Will it be a small party with only family or friends?
- Will you invite your close relatives and neighbors?
- How many babies and toddlers would be attending the party?
- How many teenagers or parents or adults would attend?
When you have the answers to these questions, you can plan the food ideas and serving size.
You need to think about the food categories based on the guest list. If it is a large party, then you may have to categorize the menu.
- You need to include vegetarian and non-vegetarian items to fit the needs of all the guests.
- In case you are inviting vegan friends, make sure you have vegan items on the menu.
- You should also have a few types of desserts and drinks. Have colorful and delicious food items that please everyone attending the birthday party.
- If there is a theme party, make sure that the food reflects the theme. For instance, if the party theme is “Frozen,” then try to have more blue food items and pictures of “Frozen” movie characters all around.
First Birthday Party Food Ideas
We have some mouth-watering food choices in every category to delight your guests, including the adorable children and the grown-ups.
Finger food and appetizer ideas
Appetizers or starters are the first course of a meal. They should be tempting and light to give an excellent start to the party meal. Toddlers and children fill their tummies with starters as they are fond of them. Having a variety of options would be a good idea. We have a few palatable suggestions here.
- Fruits on skewers or fruit salad
- Vegetable and chicken nuggets
- Baby breadsticks with cheese
- French fries or potato smileys or potato wedges
- Cookies with cream or crackers
- Muffins and bagels
- Devilled eggs
- Egg mini muffins
- Roasted or steamed vegetables and dip
- Small sandwiches
- Cheesy garlic bread
- Chips and dips
- Puffed snacks
- Wafers and pretzel
- Mini pancakes
The savory foods or main meal of the party should be delightfully flavorsome. The main items in the party menu should be filling and appealing to all the guests. There should be items for every guest, be it a vegan, vegetarian, non-vegetarian, or a health-conscious person.
- Pizza – vegetarian and non-vegetarian
- Cheesy macaroni with different toppings such as chicken bites, bacon, and veggies
- Vegetarian and chicken burger
- Grilled cheese sandwiches
- Barbecue sandwiches
- Crustless sandwiches
- Pasta with cheese and salad options or meatballs
- Vegetable noodles
- Taco pinwheels
- Small squared pizza bites
- Chicken tenders
- Chicken sliders
- Nachos filled with cheese
- Pizza rolls
- Cheese and garlic bread
- Stuffed or toasted kebabs
- Beef rolls with cheddar cheese
No party is complete without desserts. Your baby’s first birthday party should have desserts that become the talk of the party. Children and adults love trying out different kinds of sweet items, so we have covered a few delicious dessert ideas for you.
- Birthday cake (your baby’s favorite shape and flavor)
- Fruit salad or yogurt
- Ice cream of different flavors
- Jelly and custard
- Pops and candies
- Mini pies
- Ice cream cone cupcakes
- Ice cream sandwich
- Doughnut holes or baked doughnuts
- Mini s’mores
- Frozen treats or popsicles
- Assorted cookies
- Cheesecake pastries
- Frozen pops
- Honey waffles
- Marshmallow pops
- Fruit pies
- Macarons or ice cream sandwiches
- Fried ice cream
Drinks and beverages
It’s your baby’s first birthday celebration, so make sure you are not having alcoholic drinks. There are some healthy and fruity options you can try and impress your guests. Remember, the party is more for the children than the parents.
- Lemonade or fruit smoothies
- Hot chocolate
- Vanilla milkshake
- Fruity cocktails
- Citrus punch
- Iced tea with fruit flavors
- Hawaiian drink
- Rose milk
- Yogurt smoothies
The first birthday is a big deal for parents, thus planning would make your job easier. We have some general tips for you here.
- Get child-friendly glasses, plates, and cups made of eco-friendly and high-quality food-grade material.
- Keep fresh, high-quality, and hygienic food only. If you are ordering food, then go with the best caterer or restaurant.
- You can ask the parents if their children have any food intolerances or food allergies.
- Do keep in mind your guest’s preferences, like those related to religious or other food choices.
- Don’t keep choking hazards, including nuts, grapes, hard lollies, popcorn, or hard candies on the table.
- Keep an eye on what the children are sipping and munching on. See that toddlers and babies are not consuming fizzy drinks or caffeinated beverages.
- Choose a cake flavor that is liked by both children and their parents. Try to have an eggless cake so that most of the guests can relish it.
- Make tempting and colorful foods so that children enjoy them.
It’s fun to organize the first birthday party of your adorable baby. Plan everything, make a schedule, and keep everything organized. Don’t forget to take the pictures and show them to your baby when they grow up. Use the food ideas and make an appetizing menu for the first birthday party celebration.