A first date could be as exciting as a roller coaster ride, or as dull as watching paint dry. –You are nervous, excited, anxious, and eager, all at the same time. These overwhelming emotions can leave you tongue-tied, and awkwardly wondering about the right thing to say to your date.
When you are done with the pleasantries, talking about the weather, and getting each other’s bio-data, what do you talk about? What’s the right thing to say next, without making your date uncomfortable and the situation awkward?
Well, we got you covered there. Read this MomJunction post that lists over 150 first date questions that may help you level up your conversation and make things interesting.
Best first date questions
Here is a list of the 60 best first date questions that you can ask. It is important to start on a happy note so that the conversation takes positive turns.
- What has been your most memorable vacation ever?
- Tell me about something that you did and are extremely proud of.
- How would you like to spend your coming weekend?
- Name one exciting and one dull thing about your everyday routine?
- What is that one hobby you want to take up if money is not a problem?
- Name a silly or strange talent you have.
- How was your childhood? Do you think you’d want to experience it all over again? (Note: skip the second question if you know the person has been through a rough childhood phase)
- What kind of adventures do you like to go on?
- What advice would you give to the teenage you?
- What is your idea about a perfect day? Or what do you wish to make your day perfect?
Make sure you are not asking these questions one after the other, making it an interrogative session. Instead, try to use a question as a topic of discussion and then share your experiences too. Elaborate something where you both seem to be interested. Let the conversation take its own turn, and don’t try to steer it one way with these questions.
- If given a chance, which option will you pick — canoeing and camping or a roller coaster ride and partying?
- What do you enjoy most – debates or friendly discussions?
- Tell me about the worst date you’ve been on so far.
- Name one latest fad that you still did not understand.
- Which app on your phone do you use the most? (after they tell you what) What’s so good about it?
- Name five people who make you feel at home.
- What was the best phase of your life?
- What is your idea of a relaxing day?
- Name one expensive thing that you wish to have.
- According to you, what are the three essential things in a friendship?
Make sure the conversation sticks or revolves around you both. When the center of discussion becomes other people, the date could start falling apart.
- What is that one good habit that you want to adopt soon in life?
- What are the three nicknames that your family or friends have for you?
- Which household chore do you hate the most?
- Name the country where you want to spend your retired life?
- What is the stupidest or weirdest thing you did for love?
- If you were given a chance to eat something in unlimited amounts, what would that be?
- What would you do if you won $25,000?
- Which city or country do you never want to visit?
- What was your best childhood vacation? Do you want to go on that vacation as an adult?
- Which family tradition do you like the most? And which one do you hate the most?
When you sense the conversation is getting dry, you could change the topic or order something to eat and then continue with some other light questions like these.
- How would you want to celebrate your 60th birthday?
- If you are given a superpower for a day, what would you like to have?
- What is your all-time favorite book or movie?
- What are the three things that are on your bucket list?
- What is the funniest prank you played on your friends?
- How would you welcome the aliens if they landed in your backyard?
- If given a chance to start a business, what would you do?
- If you were given the power to be invisible for a day, who would you like to spy on?
- What is your favorite memory from high school?
- Who is the person you are grateful for in your life?
- What is the most beneficial advice someone has given to you in life?
- How would you ease your stress: by relaxing at home or going out?
- Who is your 3am friend?
- If you wake up in the middle of the night and cannot go back to sleep, what would you do?
- What would you eat to turn a bad day into a good one?
- Would you like living alone or with family?
- How would you want to celebrate your next birthday?
- A casual evening or a party night: what would you choose?
- Which movie can you watch again and again without getting bored?
- What is your idea of a perfect morning for you?
If your date is getting too chatty, and you want them to talk less, you could ask them these close-ended questions. These questions could be creative and may even get you some quirky replies. Try them, and your date could turn into a fun night.
- Which dessert would you like to have now?
- Where do you want to spend your next holiday – on a beach or in the mountains?
- Which do you prefer – Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter?
- What do you prefer – logical reasoning or creativity?
- In the new age, do you prefer to watch TV series or movies?
- In one word, describe the change you have observed in yourself in the last few years?
- If your house were on fire, what are the five things that you would take out and run?
- Complete the sentence: I want to share my ……. with my partner. Or I will never share my ……. with my partner.
- Who are you closest to, your family or friends?
- What’s the one thing you want to take from me, right now?
Think there’s some chemistry between the two of you? Maybe get a little intense and see how your date responds! Ask a few serious or deep first date questions to know what the other person is expecting from you, and what they are willing to offer.
Deep First Date Questions
Asking some deep questions will help you know what kind of person your date is, what he or she thinks, and whether or not you are compatible.
- What do you think a deal-breaker is in a relationship?
- What do you think about parenting? What kind of parent might you become?
- Did you upset somebody lately? What happened?
- Would you be willing to relocate for your beloved?
- What’s the most common misconception people have about you?
- Did you learn anything from your previous relationship? What was it?
- Did you ever commit mistake so big that it changed your life?
- What were your fears about life before and now?
- What is that one thing that says a lot about a person?
- What makes you sad or anxious in life?
Even you might get some deep questions. If you think you don’t want to disclose any personal stories, then you may politely refuse to answer. Likewise, if you sense your date is not comfortable with something that you asked, take the hint and try to change the mood. Don’t insist on an answer.
- What is that one task that makes you feel like you’ve accomplished something?
- Who is the one person that you dread losing?
- What is that one thing that bothers you these days?
- What are your family goals for the next five or ten years?
- Is there anything dark that you have done in the past and nobody knows about it?
- Which scene in a TV series or a movie has melted your heart?
- Is there a secret that you haven’t shared with your friends or family?
- How spiritual or religious are you? What are your thoughts about it?
- Did someone break your heart?
- Describe what home means to you.
In case you are serious about your date, then it is better not to lie to any question asked. Try to be honest, as you could be in it for the long-run.
- What would you like your partner to do for you to alleviate stress?
- Name one new experience that you want to share with your beloved.
- How would you express your opinion if you don’t like what the person is doing?
- Did you ever run away from a problem instead of dealing with it?
- What is that quality in you that people find impressive?
- How would you resolve a fight between a couple?
- Would you apologize if it is not your mistake, but think that it could make the situation better?
- Do you believe in science or magic?
- When did you last have a good cry?
- What is the best thing you purchased last year?
- What went wrong in your previous relationship?
- When do you lose your temper usually?
- What are the top two core values of your life that you would never compromise on?
- What is it that you don’t like about yourself?
- Is there anything that makes you annoyed about dating?
- Who is your go-to person in times of trouble?
- How much do you care for your family members?
- What do you like to do when you are alone with your partner?
- When do you think lying is good?
- Do you believe in fate?
- Spiritualism and materialism: Which is first and second for you?
Talking in-depth is all right, but it shouldn’t become so serious that you forget about fun. Try to keep the fun element intact, while enjoying a healthy conversation about important things.
Funny First Date Questions
Did your date get so serious that you can’t even smile? Try lightening up the atmosphere with a few funny lines or even questions. Here are some you can try.
- Did you send a message or mail to someone accidentally? What happened?
- If you were given a chance to kill a character from a TV series or movie, which one would it be?
- If you were given the power to make certain rules for your country, what would they be?
- Which famous personality do you fancy?
- What is the weirdest thing about you?
- If you want to ask the Prime Minister of the country something, what would it be?
- If you were told to turn yourself to an object, what would that be?
- What kind of silly fears you have?
- Tell me about your go-to cheesy pickup lines?
- If you could buy unlimited quantities of one thing from a grocery store, what would it be?
When we say funny questions, it doesn’t mean gross or offending. What you may find fumy could be insulting to the other person. So it is essential to keep the conversation polite, decent, and funny, but not embarrassing.
- What two ingredients would you mix up to make an ice cream that would be named after you?
- If you had the power to become an animal, which one would you like to be?
- Long-lasting love or $50,000 lottery: what would you choose?
- Twenty casual friends you meet sometimes or one loyal friend who is always there?
- Which country would you like to rule over if given a chance to?
- Healthy but bland or unhealthy but delicious: what kind of food would you pick?
- What are the two things you are really bad at?
- How bold do you think you are, on a scale of 0 to 10?
- Did you ever steal anything from a hotel?
The idea of asking funny questions is to end the date on a lighter and positive note. Pick questions that can make your date smile.
- With whom would you want to get stuck with forever in a palace?
- Are you superstitious?
- On a scale of 0 to 10, how good is your sense of humor?
- If you were given the power to make one law, what would that be?
- If you were given the power to eliminate one law, what would that be?
- What is that thing that you think you would never do again, but you end up doing it anyway?
- You are called to a comic star party. Which character would you dress up as?
- Have you bunked classes to do something that was not allowed?
- What is the idea of a romantic date for you?
- What is a weird or embarrassing thing that you have Googled for?
It is absolutely fine to ask hypothetical or no-brainer questions on a date. It could make your date easy-going.
- How many hours would you stay without using the phone?
- What do you like to wear before going to bed?
- What’s your pick: happiness or smartness?
- Which TV series or movie you enjoy watching secretly?
- According to you, who is the messiest person you know?
- What would you choose: a permanent tattoo or a breath-taking adventure?
- Describe your wildest fantasy. And who do you want to share such an experience with?
- What is the funniest or strangest compliment you have received?
- Did you ever pick a fallen object and kept it for yourself?
- What is the one thing that you admire in yourself?
You can even make the conversation amusing by sharing your experiences. This will make the date a memorable one.
- When was the last time that you laughed hard? What was that incident?
- Do you mix two different foods that are ideally not eaten together? What are those combinations?
- Name one celebrity for each: to date, to marry, and to kill?
- What is the object that you would like to eliminate from the planet?
- Where would you like to go when drunk?
- Tell me three crazy things that you would like to do before you die.
- If you were a book, what would be your name?
- On Halloween, would you like to dress up as a zombie or a vampire?
- Can you make a weird sound?
- What do you crave to eat after drinking?
- What is that object that you would like to eat?
Even funny questions on a date could help you understand the nature of the person. This could help you in understanding him or her in a better way.
- What, according to you, is the embarrassing thing about your family?
- What is the most embarrassing thing you have done in front of your parents?
- If you were made a DJ, what name would you pick for yourself?
- What would you like to do with your partner if there was no internet for 48 hours?
- If you were asked to change your name and surname, what would you change it to?
- What, according to you, is the funniest movie ever made?
- Pick one: live with a person who loves you a lot or live alone loving a person who doesn’t love you back.
- If you become a ghost, who will you trouble?
- Who do you think are more romantic: men or women?
- What is the most expensive and useless thing you have purchased so far?
You could use any of these questions as conversation starters or ice breakers on a date. Pick those questions which seem right to you and could steer your date in the right direction. If anything seems to be out of place, ask a funny question. Remember, the right conversation is all it takes to make the date a good one or a nightmare you want to escape.
What questions do you usually ask on a first date? Tell us about them in the comment section below.