Has your tot recently turned four months old? Is he already showing signs of disinterest in breast milk? Are you confused regarding what to feed him? If you relate to any of these situations, then you must give this post a read.
After four months, you will notice that your baby has become more active than before. He will be keen to explore his surroundings. Also, his stomach will grow bigger. It means that you can now introduce solid foods in his diet.
Introducing solid foods in your baby’s life is no less than a milestone. It lays the foundation for healthy eating habits. So how can you begin with solid foods?
Read on to find the answer to your query about 4 month baby food.
Is Your Baby Ready For Solids?
Your baby must have lost the ‘tongue thrust reflex’ by the time he is four months of age. Thrust reflex prevents the infants from choking. It also causes them to push the food out of their mouths. If your baby seems unsatisfied after milk feeds, then probably it is the time to introduce him to solid foods. See if your baby is interested in the food or not. If your child stares and grabs your food at dinnertime, then he is ready for some variety. The baby should be able to sit well without any support. Your child needs a good neck control to eat solid foods. It will enable him to swallow his food efficiently. The 4 months baby food should consist of solids.
Top 10 Ideas:
Here are the top 10 ideas for 4 month baby food old as he begins his journey into solid foods.
1. Baby Cereal:
Baby cereal is the most recommended first food for infants. Prepare the cereal with formula or breast milk. It will give the cereal a texture and taste that he is already familiar with. Cereal is also one of the least allergenic foods, making it suitable for babies of 4 months. Give gluten free cereal, particularly if you have a family history of Celiac diseases or allergies. Wheat, barley and rye cereal may be unsuitable for babies as they contain gluten. Rice and oatmeal are the least allergenic varieties of cereal.
[ Read: Gluten Free Recipes For Babies ]
If you want to serve a complete and delicious meal for your baby, then you can serve him avocado. Slice an avocado and spoon out the flesh. Mash it with a fork or puree in a food processor. Add breast milk or formula milk to make it more ‘soupy’.
Bananas are considered one of the nature’s most perfect foods. Babies love them for their natural sweetness. Also, banana is rich in fiber, so it will keep the things moving through your tot’s digestive system. Remove the skin of the banana and puree the flesh. You can also thin it with a little formula milk or breast milk.The food for 4 months baby is tasty with this all round nutritious fruit.
[ Read: 5 Months Baby Old Food ]
4. Butternut Squash:
Butternut squash has a pleasing texture, making it ideal for a baby’s palate. Baked butternut squash will make a great food for your little one. All you need to do is pierce the butternut squash and bake for an hour at 375 degrees. Cut it lengthwise and then scoop out the fibers and seeds. Then spoon out the flesh and mash with a fork or masher.
[ Read: 6 Months Baby Old Food ]
5. Sweet Potato:
Sweet potato is a popular first food for babies. It is easier to digest and does not cause constipation in children. Cut the sweet potato and simmer in a little water until tender. Transfer to a food processor and puree, adding a little water or breast milk.
[ Read: Wholesome Baby Food Recipes ]
Carrot is another great choice for baby food. Cut the carrots into sticks and bake for over 20 to 30 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. The food for 4 month old baby is healthy with carrots.
With your doctor’s consent, you can serve cooked apples to your baby. Peel and dice the apple and simmer or steam until tender. Cooking apple until it is just tender will ensure that all the nutrients are preserved. Transfer to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.The 4 month old baby food is extremely nutritious with this addition.
Pears are one of the safest foods to give as a first food. The allergic reactions to pear are rare. Also, they have a low acidity level, which makes them gentle on the tiny tummies. Puree steamed pear and add to the baby’s cereal.
At this stage, breast milk will provide total nutrition to your baby. Don’t even think of replacing breast milk or formula until 12 months of age. It can cause serious health implications. Also, never give your child low-fat or skim milk products until he is 2 years old.The 4 months old baby food is extremely delicious with milk.
Fiber filled peas will make an ideal first veggie for babies. Steam the peas for 6 minutes and puree in a food processor, adding the cooking liquid. Strain using a sieve to discard the solids. Pea puree may thicken after it is refrigerated. So stir in a small amount of water, formula or breast milk while heating.
- A baby’s tummy is the size of his fist. Do not expect your baby to finish a meal. He probably will eat just ½ of a tablespoon portion of what you serve to him.
- Serve a food to baby for four days at a stretch. It will help you learn the signs of intolerance and allergy. Follow this process until your baby has tried a variety of foods.
- Always serve cooked veggies to your baby so that he can chew it easily. Cooking breaks down the cell wall, making the food easier to digest by the baby.
- Place the spoon near your baby’s lips and let him taste and smell. Don’t be surprised if your tot rejects the first spoon. Wait for a few minutes and try again.
- Do not add any salt or pepper to the baby food.
- As your baby gets used to solid food, make the puree less runny. You can mash the food instead of pureeing it.
Remember, there is no rush in getting your baby to eat more food. If your baby looks disinterested in other foods, turns his head away, or spits it out, then give him a few more days to adjust to the new eating habit. Some babies are more cautious than others when it comes to new foods.
Do you have any tips on how to introduce solids to an infant’s diet? Then please share with us.
- 10 Foods That Will Boost Your Baby’s Brainpower
- Baby Food Chart: What And How To Feed Your Little One
- Top 30 Healthy Foods For Your Baby
Latest posts by Arshi (see all)
- 200 Most Attractive And Hot Guy Names That Women Love - August 23, 2017
- 50 Latest Mormon Baby Names For Boys And Girls With Meanings - May 19, 2017
- 15 Major Festivals Of India Your Kid Should Know - September 15, 2016
- 107 Festive Themed Christmas Baby Names For Boys And Girls - September 8, 2016
- 40 Valentine's Day Inspired Baby Names For Boys And Girls - May 31, 2016
- Top 25 Unicorn Coloring Pages For Toddlers - May 23, 2016
- 83 Popular Gender Neutral Or Unisex Baby Names - May 17, 2016
- 50 Terrific Baby Boy and Girl Names That Mean Angel - May 16, 2016
- List Of 20 Best Schools In Jaipur - May 16, 2016
- 15 Top And Best Schools In Surat City - May 12, 2016