If you are planning a pregnancy, you’d want to know this. Foods can help improve fertility both in men and women. If you are having a healthy lifestyle and sex life, then it is time you included fertility-supporting foods in your diet to get the ‘good news’ sooner than later.
What Is A Fertility Diet?
A fertility diet comprises foods that support your reproductive system by regulating ovulation and improving your chances of conception. These fertility foods contain the nutrients that are necessary for hormonal balance, and sperm and egg health. A fertility diet plays an important role in providing a healthy start to your future child.
Before you know about the foods to eat for fertility, let’s see the nutrients that are essential for a robust reproductive system.
Here is how various nutrients play their part in helping you conceive (1):
- Beta-carotene, a phytonutrient, regulates the hormones and improves fertility levels in men (2).
- B vitamins support your ovaries during ovulation and also help avoid miscarriages. Folic acid is necessary to avoid neural birth defects in babies.
- Vitamin C aids in progesterone absorption and helps women with luteal phase defects.
- Vitamin D helps in improving fertility in both the partners. It plays an important part in treating fertility impairments like uterine fibroid and PCOS, and improves semen parameters in men (3).
- Vitamin E boosts egg and sperm health.
- Iron decreases the chances of ovulatory infertility (4).
- Omega 3 fatty acids help improve sperm count and mobility as well as increase blood flow in the uterus (5, 6).
- Antioxidants prevent as well as treat infertility.
- Zinc and selenium (7) improve sperm quality.
- High-fat dairy foods could decrease the risk of anovulatory infertility (8).
All the nutrients are present in fertility foods that include vegetables, fruits, nuts, cereals and dairy products. Let’s know more about them in the next section.
[ Read: Tips To Improve Chances Of Pregnancy ]
List Of Fertility Foods
Here are some foods you might want to add to your diet:
I. Vegetables: Vegetables are a rich source of folic acid and vitamin C.
1. Green leafy vegetables:
- Spinach, Swiss chard, kale and other dark green leaves are a rich source of folic acid
- Help in improving ovulation, producing good quality sperms and reducing the chances of miscarriage or genetic abnormalities
- Is a rich source of vitamin C and folate, which are essential for the ovulation process
3. Brussels sprout:
- High in folic acid
- Helps maintain the uterine lining and enhance the chances of sperm survival
- Perfect food for women who have fertility issues
- A good source of Di-indole methane, which helps prevent endometriosis and fibroids
- Baked potatoes are an excellent inclusion in your fertility diet
- High in vitamin C and effective in treating luteal phase defects (9)
- A rich source of lycopene (10)
- Lycopene helps in improving the sperm count and increasing its swimming speed (11)
- A great source of beta-carotene
- Contains phytoestrogens, which stimulate egg-release from the ovaries and help treat luteal phase defect in women.
[ Read: Best Time To Get Pregnant ]
II. Fruits: Fruits are the best source of antioxidants, which are necessary for fertility. Here is the list of fruits you may consume for improving fertility.
- A good source of vitamin C (12)
- Helps increase the libido
- High in folate, vitamin E, fiber, minerals, and essential fats
- Vitamin E helps in maintaining the uterine lining
- A rich source of vitamin B6 and potassium
- Aids in improving fertility by regulating the hormones and improving egg and sperm quality
- Such as raspberries and blueberries are rich in folate and vitamin C
- Boost both male and female fertility
III. Non-vegetarian foods: These foods include meat, fish, and egg, which are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids.
- High in omega-3 fatty acids, folic acid, choline and vitamin D
- This seafood is packed with vitamin B12
- Helps in strengthening the endometrium lining in women, and increase the sperm count in men
- It is also a good source of vitamin B12.
- Rich in omega 3 fatty acids
17. Lean meat (chicken/beef):
- A good source of iron, and essential fatty acids.
[ Read: Sex Positions To Help You Get Pregnant ]
IV. Dairy products: Rich in calcium, good fats, and vitamin D, the dairy products are an essential food for improving fertility in couples who want to conceive faster. Here is the list of dairy products and their importance in improving fertility.
18. Whole milk:
- High in calcium and good fats.
19. Greek yogurt:
- An excellent source of calcium, probiotics, and vitamin D.
V. Herbs and Spices: They maintain estrogen balance, thus supporting your fertility.
- A good source of amino acids and glycosides, which help increase libido in both the partners.
- Rich in antioxidants
- Helps treat menstrual related issues
- Is a fertility-boosting spice rich in selenium, an antioxidant (13)
- Selenium helps enhance sperm mobility.
- Helps increase the chances of conception when taken every day before ovulation.
VI. Oils and Oilseeds: Apart from the vegetables, fruits, and meat the seeds and their oils also play a vital role in improving the chances of conception. Here a few to list:
23. Olive oil:
- Contains monounsaturated fats, which help in reducing inflammation inside the body and increase insulin sensitivity in a woman’s body
- Improves fertility in couples who have undergone IVF treatments
24. Pumpkin seeds:
- A rich source of zinc (14) content that aids in maintaining a healthy reproductive system
- Zinc helps in increasing testosterone and semen level and promotes blood flow to the reproductive organs
- Also helps in producing mature eggs
25. Flax seeds:
- Rich in omega 3 fatty acids and lignins.
- Lignin plays an essential role in reducing the fibroid size and boosts fertility.
26. Sunflower seeds:
- A rich source of zinc.
VII. Dry fruits: You may add the below dry fruits to improve your fertility.
- Rich in vitamin E and omega 3 fatty acids
- High in omega 3 fatty acids, magnesium, and fiber
- It helps improve sperm motility and vitality
VIII. Other foods:
- A gluten-free whole grain rich in fiber, folate, protein, and zinc
30. Lentils and beans:
- Rich in plant-based proteins, fiber and vitamin B
31. Whole grains:
- Includes brown rice, millet, barley, etc.
- A rich source of fiber and regulates blood sugar level, thereby maintaining the folic acid level to boost fertility.
32. Cod-liver oil:
- A rich source of omega 3 fatty acid and vitamin D.
While some foods improve your fertility, some others have a negative effect on it. Therefore, you need to avoid such foods.
[ Read: How To Get Pregnant On Depo Shot ]
Foods To Avoid For Conception
- Foods with high pesticide residue, such as strawberries, spinach, peppers, or grapes, reduce your chances of getting pregnant (19).
- Seafood, such as swordfish, king mackerel, shark, and tilefish, which are high in mercury content. High mercury content can lead to infertility and miscarriages.
- Foods high in trans fats like baked foods, fried and processed foods, which can affect ovulatory infertility.
- High intake of carbohydrates can also lead to ovulatory infertility. Similarly, very low intake of carbs can also contribute to infertility by affecting the insulin and testosterone level. Also, foods with less refined carb like sugary foods and processed grains can increase the blood sugar level causing ovulatory infertility.
- High intake of caffeine can lead to miscarriages and also increase the risk of infertility.
- Drinking and smoking can also have a negative impact on fertility.
- Soy products contain phytoestrogens that can lead to infertility.
If you are planning your pregnancy then start including the above-listed fertility foods in your diet to conceive a healthy child. These are easily available in the market and makes perfect for your pregnancy plans.
Which foods are you going to include in your diet? Let us know in the comment section below.
- Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Pregnant
- Pros And Cons Of Pregnancy In 30s
- Pregnancy After Missed Miscarriage
- Pregnancy At 45 Or After