Are you worried about your child’s poor height? Do your child’s friends bully him for being short? Is your child a fussy eater and making him eat healthy seems like a Herculean task? Want to know what to eat to increase height?
If you answered yes to any of the questions above, it means that your child is not gaining height that is appropriate for his age. Read on to know the the best and healthy diet plan for increasing height and how you can encourage your child to eat well and climb the height chart.
Top 10 Foods To Increase Height In Children:
When it comes to height, various factors play a major role. Genetics is an important factor that can predict how tall your baby will grow. In addition to genetics, eating the right kind of nutritious foods is very important to help your child grow tall.
Human Growth Hormone or HGH regulates the height of your child (1).Your child’s pituitary gland secretes this hormone. Encouraging your child to eat foods that will boost the production of HGH will ensure your child gains height.
The top foods that increase height in children are milk, fresh fruits & vegetables, grains, oatmeal, eggs, chicken, soybeans, dairy Based Food, beef and fish. Read below about each height growth food in babies, toddlers and kids in detail:
Milk is rich in calcium, which boosts your child’s growth. It keeps your child’s bones strong and prevents them from breaking easily. The Vitamin A present in milk helps your child’s bones absorb the calcium better. Milk is also a very good source of protein, which helps the growth of cells in your child’s body. Let your child have two to three glasses of milk each day.
[ Read: Nutritious Foods For Kids ]
2. Fresh Fruits And Vegetables:
Intake of fresh fruits and vegetables are critical to your child’s growth and development. These contain a good amount of fiber, vitamins, potassium and folates. Vitamin A will help in the development of your child’s bones and tissues. Some good sources of Vitamin A are papaya, carrots, broccoli, spinach, sweet potatoes, mango, watermelon and apricots. Foods rich in Vitamin C like citrus fruits help tackle your child’s growth issues.
[ Read: Vitamin A Foods For Kids ]
Grains are a storehouse of energy. They are also a very good source of fiber, vitamins, iron, magnesium and selenium. Grains are rich in calories that are important during the growing years of your child. Foods such as brown rice, whole grain pastas and whole wheat can give your child the required boost to gain height.
Oatmeal is a miracle food for height growth in children. It is a very good source of plant protein and helps to increase the muscle mass and reduce fat. Encourage your child to have a healthy oats breakfast every morning.
Eggs are rich in proteins and Vitamin B12. Encourage your child to have at least one to three eggs every day, in order to gain height.
[ Read: Vitamin C For Kids ]
If you are a non-vegetarian, let your child benefit from this protein rich food. Chicken has one of the highest protein content in animal-based food sources. Intake of chicken will help in the development of muscles and tissue in your child.
Soybeans are the highest source of protein in plant-based food. It contains protein in its purest form, which is crucial for the development of bone and tissue in your child.
8. Dairy Based Foods:
A good food that increase height fast and naturally. Dairy foods like cheese, cottage cheese and yoghurt are rich sources of vitamins A, B, D and E as well as protein and calcium. Vitamin D and calcium will help your child grow tall.
[ Read: Fish Benefits For Kids ]
Beef is another animal-based food that contains one of the highest amounts of protein. Your child can have beef occasionally. Excessive beef intake can lead to cholesterol issues.
One of the best height growing foods. Salmon and tuna are two types of fish that are extremely rich in Vitamin D and proteins. Intake of tuna can boost your baby’s height growth.
You must try to include these ten food groups regularly in your child’s diet to increase height and to ensure his healthy height growth and development. You can plan and prepare his meals keeping the above information in mind. It will ensure he has a healthy intake, adding more variety to his plate and pampering his taste buds. In addition to eating right, encourage your child to be active and spend time outdoors. Also, stress the importance of correct posture that can help kids gain height.
How To Help Your Child Increase His Height?
Your child’s height depends on various factors like genes, the level of physical activity, quality of diet, his overall medical condition and so on. No one factor can determine your child’s height, but there are natural ways to increase height in children.
After your child’s first birthday, you may notice his pace of growth has become slow. It will again increase once he reaches adolescence. In fact, you will be pleasantly surprised to notice your child suddenly gain a few inches in height during the teenage years! A girl child will gain her maximum height between the years of eight to thirteen years while a boy will reach his highest growth spurt between the ages of ten and fifteen years.
Here are a few other natural ways on how to increase height in children:
1. Help Him Follow A Regular Sleep Routine:
Your child needs at least ten to twelve hours of sleep each night to grow properly. (1)
- Make it a habit to put your child to bed early, especially if you know that your child takes longer to fall asleep.
- Follow a bedtime routine each night and make sure your child sleeps and wakes up at the same time each day, even if it is a holiday.
2. Add Protein In Your Child’s Diet:
Encourage your child to eat a protein-rich diet to increase his height. (2)
- Make sure you add lots of high protein foods in your child’s diet, such as lean meat and fish.
- If your child is a fussy eater, encourage him to snack on protein-rich foods like nuts and seeds.
3. Encourage Him To Exercise And Play Daily:
Your child should have a regular exercise and play schedule each day to help him gain height. (3)
- It is important for your child to be active and participate in regular play and exercise.
- Encourage your child to participate in physical activities like cycling, walking, running, outdoor sports and so on.
[ Read: Benefits Of Exercise For Kids ]
4. Serve Him A Balanced Diet:
A balanced diet will help your child enjoy good health and proper development. (4)
- Make sure you include all the essential nutrients in your child’s meal plans in the right proportion appropriate for his age.
- Also encourage your child to have fresh fruits and vegetables on a daily basis.
5. Help Him Follow A Healthy Lifestyle:
The lifestyle you lead as a family will have a huge impact on your child’s growth and development.
- Help him enjoy homemade meals rather than binge on junk food.
- Instead of leading a sedentary life, step out for some daily family fun activity.
- Take your child to various activity classes or camps and enjoy some activities like rock climbing, martial arts, swimming, tennis and more together.
- Take up a form of exercise that your child likes and workout with him. It could be going for a walk daily, a quick run each morning before school, a favorite form of dance and anything else that he will enjoy.
How To Measure A Child’s Height Accurately At Home:
- Make sure you remove your child’s shoes, any heavy clothing or hair decorations. Also, if your child’s hair is braided, open it so that it does not interfere with any measurements. 
- Let your child stand on the bare floor, one that does not have a carpet or rug over it. Your child has to stand along the wall especially one that has no molding.
- Ask your child to stand with their feet placed flat and together against a wall. Your child’s legs should be straight, arms should be at the sides and the shoulders should be level.
- Your child should be looking ahead and the line of sight should be parallel to the floor.
- Take your child’s measurements in such a way that the shoulders, head, heels and buttocks touch the flat surface of the wall. Not all parts of your child’s body may touch the wall depending on the body shape.
- Take a flat headpiece and use it to make a right angle along the wall. Bring the headpiece down till it firmly touches your child’s crown of the head.
- Your eyes should be at the same level as that of the headpiece.
- Make a light mark where the bottom part of the headpiece connects to the wall. Using a metal tape, start the measurement from the base at the floor. Take it to the marked measure on the wall to get your child’s height measurement.
- You have to record your child’s height accurately to the nearest 1/8th inch or to a 0.1 centimeter.
Encourage your child to follow the above tips and speak to his doctor about his height gain and growth during your regular visits.
Do you have any height growth tips for kids? Or If you have any other helpful foods to increase height in children, please share it here with other moms.
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016