Are you pregnant and already on the route to various tests and their results? If yes, you may also have taken the FSH test. Wondering what it is and why it is important? Read the post to know.
What Is The Meaning Of FSH?
FSH is the shorter term used to refer to the follicle stimulating hormone. It is one of the many hormones that are secreted by the pituitary gland. FSH stimulates your ovaries and helps to produce mature eggs. It also helps to regularize your menstrual cycle. In men, it helps to produce sperm. The FSH, along with the luteinizing hormone, helps to take care of many important functions in your body. 
What Should Be FSH Levels During Pregnancy?
Ideal FSH in pregnancy are extremely crucial while you are pregnant. It helps to form the placenta, especially during the initial months of your pregnancy. When you are pregnant, your FSH levels should ideally be below 2 mlU/ml. Remember that while you are pregnant, your body will go through a lot of changes . As your pregnancy progresses, your FSH levels should definitely be between 3 to 10 mlU/ml.
What Conditions Can Lower The FSH Levels?
There are various conditions that may lower your FSH levels: 
- A condition known as anorexia nervosa can lower your FSH levels extensively.
- Any disorder in the hypothalamus can cause a dip in your FSH levels.
- Any disorder in the pituitary gland can also make your FSH levels go extremely low.
What Do Low FSH Levels Indicate?
Your FSH levels during pregnancy will generally be too low to be measured properly. This might look like the levels are very low. A low count of FSH could indicate the following conditions: 
- A condition known as hypopituitarism, where your pituitary gland does not produce the hormones it is supposed to produce. In some cases, it may produce them in very low quantities.
- Very poor FSH levels can also indicate a condition known as Turner syndrome. It is a chromosome related condition and affects the development and growth in females.
How Do You Prepare For The FSH Test?
There are a few steps that have to be followed before going for the FSH test. While you are pregnant, there may be certain variations keeping your condition and health in mind. Speak to your doctor first to know how you should prepare before going for the test. Here are the steps that are generally followed in preparation: 
You will not have to stop any fluid or food intake. You can eat your normal diet.
Your doctor may ask you to stop taking any medications 48 hours prior to the test. Speak to your doctor about your pregnancy and mention the medications you are currently taking. Your doctor may ask you to stop all or a few of them. In some cases, your doctor may allow you to continue with medication even when you are about to go for the test.
[ Read: Essential Tests To Take During Pregnancy ]
Are There Any Special Precautions To Be Taken After The Test?
There are no special precautions that you need to take. However, make sure you inform the health care provider about your pregnancy. In case you feel dizzy or uncomfortable during or after the test, ask for assistance and sit down where you are comfortable.
Can The Test Of FSH During Pregnancy Cause Any Side Effects?
The FSH test is considered absolutely safe and does not have any known side effects. If you feel uncomfortable or dizzy at any time during or after the test, tell your health care provider about it.
The best way to understand the importance of all the tests you are referred to is to speak to your doctor. Ask your doctor why you have to get a certain test done and what the results imply. This will put your mind at ease.
Were you recommended the FSH test while you were pregnant? Were you comfortable during and after the test? Do share your experience here.
- Croup During Pregnancy – 5 Causes & 7 Symptoms You Should Be Aware of
- Gallbladder Problems During Pregnancy – Everything You Need To Know
- 4 Chemicals You Should Not Come Into Contact During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016