Once your baby is born, nothing can surpass the joy of newly attained parenthood. Once the initial surprise and delight turn into an everyday routine, taking care of a newborn can become monotonous. At this time, there are certain activities and things to do with a newborn baby that you can get involved in and enjoy the joys of motherhood.
In the initial months, your newborn gets attached to you the most. Therefore, how you connect with your baby in these months plays a crucial role in your baby’s overall development.
Read on this post as we tell you about some fun activities you can try with your baby.
When Should You Start Playing With A Newborn?
During the first month, your newborn may sleep most of the time. In the following weeks or months, they may be awake and active for longer to learn and play (1). From three months, they may start to move their bodies and explore toys with their senses (2). These signs show that your baby is ready to play.
When Is It Safe To Take A Newborn Outside?
Although there are no fixed rules for when you can take your baby outside, doctors advise you to wait a few months before taking your newborn to crowded places. This is advisable because your baby’s immune system is still developing and may not be able to fight against infections. However, if the weather is pleasant enough, you can enjoy a stroll and some fresh air with your baby (3).
Top 10 Newborn Baby Activities
If you thought that your newborn baby would only sleep and wake up for meals, then it’s time to rethink! Here are the top 10 activities to do with newborn babies:
1. Baby’s Day Out:
Plan an outing with your baby. It need not be a far flung place but a nearby park or any natural surroundings. You can take this opportunity to practice babywearing while taking a nature walk or using a stroller to explore your local park together.
- Let your baby enjoy the lush greenery and feel the fresh air.
- Even though your baby may be too small to play, he may really enjoy seeing the colorful environment and other children playing.
- It will also be a good change for you and your baby from everyday routine.
- Cover them adequately in swaddling clothes making sure they don’t feel cold.
Lindsay, a mom, recalls spending quality time with her newborn son by taking walks or visiting the local park. She says, “When my son was a newborn, he would have moments during the day when he cried a lot. Walks always calmed him down. They were a great opportunity for me to spend time with my son and also have some time to myself, get some exercise, and be outside.
“I love sitting with my son on the grass and watching his big smile. Even just sitting on the grass so your infant can feel the grass, hear the birds sing, see the dogs pass by, and watch the kids play is a fantastic learning experience and a fun and refreshing time (i).”
2. Music Therapy:
All babies have an affinity towards music. Melodies have a soothing effect on babies and can boost their memory as well as mental skills.
- Play different genres of music when your darling is awake and see which music relaxes him and which annoys him.
- Some music might energize him, while other music might lull him into sleeping.
- It is essential to be present along with your baby while the music is playing.
- Your touch and voice may accentuate the benefits. Sing along while cuddling your baby and encourage your baby to do so too!
- Besides making your baby happy, music will also help calm you.
3. Record Your Baby’s Move:
Each moment with your baby is unique and shall never come back, so make sure you capture them.
- Record your baby’s special moments through pictures or videos.
- Use different accessories and props to make it entertaining for your infant.
- Make him or her wear special clothes, try a different hair style. Your baby will thoroughly enjoy the attention.
- Share these with your spouse and near and dear ones. It will be amazing to watch these together when your baby grows up.
It is a wonderful game to play with your munchkin.
- When your baby is awake and playful, hold him close and try to talk with animated gestures and expressions.
- Vary the pitch of your voice. You will be amazed to see how your baby reacts to your actions. This will help your baby learn and recognize emotions and increase the attention span of your baby.
- This activity can help your infant in early language identification and is a great way to strengthen your bond.
5. Play Hide And Seek:
Play hide and seek with your newborn but not in the regular way.
- Hide your face behind your hands or a cloth.
- Call his name or whistle or make any different kind of noise.
- Your infant will recognize your voice and try to find out where it is coming from.
- This activity can increase the alertness in your baby.
- When your baby finds you, pick him up and shower him with your love. This will create a happy emotional bonding.
- As a word of caution, don’t be too far from your baby. Always be at a distance from where you can pick him up if he is about to fall or get hurt.
- Don’t worry if your newborn can’t follow you across the room just yet. A baby’s eyes are still developing to focus the first four to six weeks.
6. Coordination Activity:
Introduce your baby to toys and colorful things.
- Hang different colorful toys just above your baby’s bed or cradle.
- When touched they should emanate soothing sound or change shape or light up
- Help your baby to reach out to these toys with their hands or toes and show them how interesting it is.
- Your baby will soon learn the coordination of hands, eyes and toes and learn to play on his own.
7. Simulate Senses:
Let your baby feel everything.
- Don’t hasten any activity you do with your baby.
- If you are bathing your infant, let him or her splash water and play with it.
- If you are feeding, then let him or her feel the bottle.
- This gives your baby an understanding of various senses.
- Such learning is essential for his overall mental, physical and emotional development
8. Introduce New Things:
Just like you, your baby also hates routine and needs new things to be entertained.
- Take your baby around the house and show things that are non-hazardous and safe.
- Let your darling stare and feel the objects.
- It is a wonderful feeling for your baby and also a way to increase his or her memory power.
9. Story Time:
Of course your little one cannot understand your story but read, nonetheless.
- Read or tell a story by enacting the same with gestures.
- Touch your baby’s toes, fingers, tickle his belly and see his expressions.
- You can use this activity when you are clothing your baby in their onesies. It is a good way to divert attention too!
10. Try Some Dance:
Sure your baby can’t dance but you can definitely sway him to the tunes of music.
- Take your baby in your arms and try some simple steps, rocking them around.
- Such moves are not less than any roller coaster ride for your little one.
- Be careful with your baby’s neck and always keep a hand there.
- This activity can definitely rejuvenate you and your little one.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can parents incorporate tummy time into their newborn’s daily routine?
To incorporate tummy time into a newborn’s daily routine, parents can place their baby on their stomach two to three times daily for 30-60 minutes. This can be done on a soft blanket or play mat, and parents can engage their baby with toys or by talking to them. Gradually, parents can increase the duration and frequency of tummy time as the baby becomes more comfortable and stronger.
2. What are some signs of a newborn’s emerging personality?
Some newborns may be more sensitive and easily startled, while others may be more relaxed and easy-going. A baby’s temperament, such as their tendency towards fussiness or calmness, can also indicate their emerging personality.
3. How can parents support their newborn’s early learning and development?
Parents can offer various sensory experiences, such as different textures, colors, and sounds, to stimulate their baby’s developing brain. They can help their newborns develop essential cognitive, social, and emotional skills by providing a supportive and stimulating environment.
The birth of a baby is the beginning of many new experiences and learnings. You can turn this phase fun with our list of ten things to do with a newborn baby. These activities focus on many aspects such as listening, seeing, or moving and promote your baby’s growth. They will enhance your baby’s observation, coordination, and attention skills. The activities also encourage you to spend ample time with your newborn, strengthening your bond. There are also fun ways to get comfortable with your baby and avoid those new parent anxieties if you have any.
Infographic: Things To Do With Your Newborn Baby
While taking care of your newborn’s requirements is of utmost importance, spending quality time with them also develops a lovable and strong bond. Here is an infographic that suggests some fun activities to try with your newborn to aid their development and make a strong connection with them.
- Your interactions with your infant in the first few months can greatly impact their development.
- Taking your infant to a local park or nature can provide a change of scenery.
- Playing music from different genres can improve infant memory and cognitive abilities.
- Toys and brightly colored items can aid in developing infant coordination.
- Allowing your infant to experience different sensations during bathing and feeding can be beneficial.
Personal Experience: Source
i. Spend quality time with your young children and babies with these free activities
- Learning Play and Your Newborn
- Stages of Play From Birth to 6 Months: A Full-Body Experience!
- When Can I Take My Newborn Out in Public?
- How music affects your baby’s brain: Mini Parenting Master Class