Have you noticed white visible spots on your little one’s nails? Do his tender nails get distorted easily? If you said yes, your child might be suffering from a fungal nail infection. The fungus grows on the nail bed and initiates the symptoms of fungal nail infection or Onychomycosis.
To know more about the causes and symptoms of the infection, consider reading our post here.
Fungal Nail Infection:
The hard material of the nails contains a pigment Keratin. The fungal infection harshly affects the Keratin and thickens your nails, often distorting or discoloring them. The harmful fungal microbe greatly affects the nail bed of your children. In medical terms, the condition of fungal nail infection is tinea unguium (1).
[ Read: Symptoms Of Psoriasis In Children ]
Causes Of Fungal Nail Infection In Children:
The dermatophyte fungus elevates the condition of fungal nail infection. It also causes Athlete’s Foot. In the disease of Athlete’s foot, the skin between the toes gets infected and encounters painful rashes.
There is certain bacteria or fungus that causes fungal nail infections in children. The harmful microbes enter the skin through a small crack in the cuticle. Children who chew their fingernails are more prone to contracting fungal infections. Some of the harmful yeasts and molds are also responsible to elevate the conditions of fungal nail infections.
Some of the other factors, that increase the risk of fungal growth include:
- If your child is wearing covered shoes in the summer season. It increases sweat on your feet and creates the optimum condition for fungal overgrowth.
- If your child bites his nails or chews on them, the harmful microbes can easily enter beneath the surface of the nails. With the onset of a humid climate, fungal growth takes place, and a nail infection develops.
- If your child is suffering from certain health conditions including diabetes or psoriasis, it increases his risks of being affected by a fungal nail infection (2).
[ Read: Ways To Stop Nail Biting in Children ]
Symptoms Of Fungal Nail Infection In Children:
Some of the visible symptoms of fungal nail infection in children are:
- A distorted nail
- Scaling under the nail
- White spot on the nail bed
- Yellow spots appearing at the bottom of the nail
- A strong odor from the infected nail
- Thickened nail
- Nails gets swollen and discolored (3)
[ Read: Fungal Infections In Children ]
Treating Fungal Nail Infection In Children:
Some of the ways you can treat fungal nail infection in children, typically include:
- For mild fungal infections, with no pus in the infected region, soak you child’s fingernails or toes with an antiseptic solution. After cleaning the affected nails properly, apply some Betadine or a medicated antibiotic cream.
- If pus develops under the infected nails, your child must consume oral antifungal medicines like terbinafine and itraconazole. The doctor may treat your child by draining the pus from the infected nail area.
- Try to keep the infected nail region, clean and dry. The doctor may also advise covering up your child’s nails with a basic dressing such as Malonin. It will prevent damping of the infected region and further growth of the harmful microbes.
- For severe fungal infections, the doctor may also recommend applying antifungal creams, gels or tablets.
[ Read: Ingrown Toenails In Children ]
- If your child is suffering from terrible pain, it is advisable to soak his infected nails in Luke warm water. It can aid to bring some relief from the acute pain (4).
Did your little one suffer from a fungal nail infection? What medications did the doctor prescribe him? What precautions did you take? Tell us about your experiences here. Fellow mommies would love tot hear from you!
- 3 Simple Ways To Remove A Splinter From Your Child’s Skin
- Nursemaid’s Elbow In Children
- 5 Effective Home Remedies To Cure Back Pain In Children
- Corneal Abrasion In Children
Latest posts by RIA SAHA (see all)
- How to Show respect to your husband: 13 fundamental things you should try - August 24, 2017
- 13 Practical Ways To Respect Your Husband - July 11, 2017
- What Women Want In A Relationship: 30+ Things You Should know - July 10, 2017
- Diet Plans For Overweight Pregnant Women - Everything You Need To Know - June 30, 2017
- 12 Common Complications Associated With Twin Pregnancy - June 30, 2017
- Hepatitis During Pregnancy: Types, Causes, And Treatment - May 11, 2017
- You Have Different Breastmilk For Your Daughter And Son - June 6, 2016
- How To Be A Good Husband - A Definite Guide - May 30, 2016
- 10 Delicious Non-Alcoholic Cocktails Recipes For Kids - May 27, 2016
- 8 Spectacular Nail Art Designs For Teens - May 24, 2016