Do you love the strong, pungent flavor of garlic in your food preparations? Are you habituated to using the flavorful ingredient in most of your recipes? Are you confused about the consumption of garlic while breastfeeding phase? If you said yes, consider reading our post!
Garlic (Allium Sativa) is a popular ingredient, which enhances the flavor of food. From ancient days, garlic has huge medicinal benefits. There is no harm in including garlic in your diet. But over-consumption of the ingredient can be harmful to both you and your newborn baby.
Garlic Consumed While Breastfeeding:
Can you eat garlic while breastfeeding? Well, garlic acts as a galactagogue, which stimulates the breast milk production in lactating mothers. If you are facing issues with your breast milk production, consuming some garlic can help increase your milk supply.
When you eat garlic, the pungent flavor mixes with your breast milk, and it can effectively change the taste and smell of your milk. Some babies don’t mind the taste while others turn irritable and fussy. If your baby can tolerate the smell of garlic, it can be beneficial to increase your milk supply (1).
[ Read: Foods To Increase Breast Milk ]
Health Benefits Of Garlic While Breastfeeding:
Garlic contains some essential minerals, vitamins, and amino acids, which help improve the health conditions of lactating moms. Due to the medicinal properties of garlic, it is often used for the treatment of indigestion, swelling or infections.
Some of the potential health benefits of garlic for lactating mothers include:
- Enhances Breast Milk Production: Apart from increasing the breast milk production, the ingredient improves health conditions of both you and your baby. If your child gets habituated with the pungent flavor of garlic in breast milk, his immunity system will get enhanced.
- Aids In Digestion: Garlic is helpful in improving the process of digestion in lactating mothers. After the childbirth, mothers often seem to be complaining about digestive disorders. Garlic can keep the digestive tract healthy and help to recover from any digestive issues.
- Improves Heart Heath: Garlic dilates blood vessels, which helps to bring down the blood pressure level. Thinning of blood lowers the cholesterol level. All these factors can improve the cardiovascular health conditions.
- Anti-Infective Properties: Garlic is a popular herb known for its antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. Consumption of garlic during breastfeeding can keep you away from such harmful infections.
- Anti-Fungal Property: Eating garlic during breastfeeding prevents the overgrowth of yeast in your body. It helps to boost your immunity system and protect against fungal infections.
- Other Health Benefits: Garlic is also beneficial for treating insomnia, cold, cancer and asthma (2).
How To Consume Garlic While Breastfeeding?
You can add Garlic can to your cooked food preparations. It is safe to consume one or two cloves of garlic per day during your breastfeeding phase. You can use garlic to add flavor to your meat, seafood, pasta or vegetable dishes.
A moderate quantity of garlic can cause no harm to you or your baby. Although, doctors advise that you prevent intake of garlic supplements or high doses of garlic while nursing.
Side Effects Of Eating Garlic While Breastfeeding:
Some of the potential side effects of eating garlic when breastfeeding include:
- Some of the feeding infants cannot tolerate the odor of garlic in the breast milk. If your baby becomes irritable during breastfeeding, you should not eat garlic.
- If you are a hypoglycemic or a diabetic, garlic can lower your blood sugar level.
- If you are consuming anticoagulant medications, avoid consumption of garlic (3).
If you have certain medical issues, it is better to consult with the doctor before you include garlic in your recipes.
Did you consume garlic in your breastfeeding phase? Did it help increase your breast milk production? Share your experiences with other mommies here!
- Is It Safe To Eat Onions While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Eat Oranges While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Consume Colic Foods During Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Eat Eggs While Breastfeeding?