By the time your child is four-year-old, they become better at pretend play and love playing new games. They also have better communication skills, letting you know their likes and dislikes (1). You need to consider these attributes when exploring the best toys and gifts for 4-year-old boys.
Buying presents for a four-year-old boy requires you to be more thoughtful. In this post, we present a list of several exciting and interesting gift options that you may consider for a four-year-old boy.
Our Top Picks
38 Best Toys And Gifts For 4-Year-Old Boys In 2022
1. Best For Exercising The Brain: ThinkFun Zingo Bingo
Tiny geeks who are tired of puzzles swear by a challenging game like Zingo that can exercise their intellect. This game can be played by seven players. Check out this product review video to learn more.
- Promotes critical thinking skills in kids
- Helps improve language skills
- Promotes collaboration skills
- Award-winning game
- Might be slightly confusing for some
2. Best For Storing Mini Cars: Green Toys Car Carrier Vehicle Set Toy
If your boy has a collection of toy cars, he will need a carrier to transport them. This blue double-decker carrier can safely transfer his precious cars from one place to another. Take a look at this video link to get more information on the product.
- Car carrier features two working ramps and three mini cars
- Made of child-safe recycled plastic
- Free of BPA, phthalates, and PVC
- Easy to clean and dishwasher-safe
- Strengthens motor skills
- Cab might come apart from trailer occasionally
- Rear tailgate may be loose
3. Best For Fueling The Imagination: Ivy Step Dinosaur Explorer Kit
If your boy loves all things paleontological, then this dinosaur explorer kit is an excellent investment to make. The kit includes a pair of dinosaur binoculars, LED flashlight, magnifying glass, whistle, compass, dinosaur watch, and life-like Tyrannosaurus Rex in a carrying bag. This fun kit will help your kid make a dinosaur discovery while fueling their imagination.
- Binoculars designed for small hands with adjustable eye pads and rubber grips
- Contains a carrying bag of 14 inches wide and 16 inches high for easy storage
- Suitable for kids of 3-8 years of age
- Ideal for camping, sleepovers, nighttime adventures, both indoors and outdoors
- Binoculars might not be fully clear
4. Best For Developing Fine Motor Skills: Green Toys Ferry Boat with Mini Cars Bathtub Toy
Sometimes your baby boy needs his cars to be ferried through a waterbody. This ferryboat will comfortably take his cars from one end of the bathtub to another. And if he does not want to take his cars anywhere, he can just play with the boat during bath time. This video offers a more detailed explanation of the product.
- Two-storey ferry boat comes with two mini cars
- Made from recycled milk jugs
- Free of BPA, PVC, and phthalates
- Helps strengthen motor skills
- Easy to clean and dishwasher-safe
- May take up too much space
- Might occasionally flip over in the bath
5. Best Educational Gift: Ivy Step Dinosaur Fossil Dig Kit
To help your kids excitingly learn more about dinosaurs, get them this dinosaur dig kit filled with 12 dino eggs, chisel tools, excavation cards, magnifying glass, and a torch. While matching hidden dinosaur fossil eggs with educational cards, kids will engage in a fascinating excavation journey.
- A fun game to learn about dinosaurs and paleontology
- Engaging activity with fun tools for excavation experience
- Suitable for kids of 4 years and older
- Ideal kit to help kids learn during playtime
- Some chisel tools might be too sharp
6. Best For A Child Who Loves Cars: Matchbox Gift Pack Assortment
Boys who love collecting cars will love this assortment pack. It contains tiny, sturdy cars and trucks that boys love playing. We suggest you buy at least two sets as each vehicle in the entire Matchbox line is unique.
- Each set includes nine different types of vehicles
- 1:16 scale vehicles
- Realistic accents
- Contains exclusive die-cast cars for your child’s collection
- Might not be true to size
- May not match the image on the pack
7. Best For Introducing Numbers: Ivy Step Toy Eggs for Toddlers with Dinosaur Theme
This toddler educational toy is a fun way to engage your boy in learning to count and match colors and numbers from 1-12. Each egg replicates a life-like dinosaur egg to make the learning game more exciting and playful. It comes packed in a durable storage case made with child-safe materials.
- Builds math and number recognition skills in children
- Helps recognize and match different colors
- Comes in a child-safe, durable case for storage
- Includes 12 dinosaur-like eggs
- Flashlight might not be as durable
- Binoculars may not be very functional
8. Best STEM Gift Set: Brickyard Educational Construction Engineering Building Blocks Learning Set
Nothing is more fun for a boy than creating something new and cool. Encourage creativity in your kid by gifting him this STEM Construction Engineering Building Blocks Learning set. It is a great toy for sleepovers as it allows up to four kids to play simultaneously.
- Set includes 101 toy pieces as well as three wrenches and a screwdriver
- Free of phthalates, lead, cadmium, and BPA
- Comes with an instruction manual to create 42 designs
- Promotes collaboration, creative thinking, and problem-solving skills in kids
- Pieces might be slightly smaller than expected
9. Best For Role Play: PAW Patrol My Size Lookout Tower
Every town needs a good group of vigilant workers such as policemen and firefighters. Help your brave boy spot trouble and save the day with this PAW Patrol toy set.
- Iincludes a two-feet lookout tower and figurines of the PAW Patrol crew including Marshall, Chase, Skye, and Rubble
- Comes with light and sound effects
- Encourages role play and stirs imagination
- Ideal toy for teaching bravery to your kid
- Some pieces might be hard to snap together
10. Best For A Child Who Loves Dinos: Dig a Dozen Dino Eggs Kit
This dinosaur egg kit comes with 12 eggs. Your kid needs to crack and open each egg to find a miniature dinosaur in it.
- Set includes 12 illustrated information cards, with each card describing the history and characteristics of a dinosaur
- Includes 12 chisels and 12 instruction cards to help the kid crack and open the eggs
- Authenticated by STEM organization for meeting the highest standards of STEM learning
- Ideal for gifting
- Might be slightly messy to play with
- May need a screwdriver to break the eggs
11. Best For Improving Focus: The Learning Journey: Match It!
A good puzzle toy set is always a welcome addition to your child’s toy collection. This puzzle involving letters, shapes, and sounds can build your boy’s vocabulary and reading skills and help him gain proficiency in the language.
- Toy set includes ten three-piece and ten four-piece self-correcting puzzle pieces
- Helps improve letter recognition
- Strengthens language and spelling skills
- Finding the correct combinations boosts the child’s confidence
- Helps improve focus and concentration
- Might be larger than expected
- Children may eventually get bored with the puzzles
Basketball is a popular sport amongst most boys. It is a sport that can keep your child active and healthy. But if space is a constraint for you, try this mini basketball set. Designed like a regular basketball hoop, it is a few sizes smaller to suit little boys.
- Adjustable basketball stand allows convenient play
- Comes with three junior-sized basketballs
- Helps develop balance, coordination, and gross motor skills
- Playable outdoors as well as indoors
- Net might slip off the holes occasionally
Encourage your child’s artistic creativity with this skills activity book. It comes with a pair of child-safe scissors that encourage your boy to cut the pictures in the book safely.
- Book features 20 pre-printed activity pages
- Plastic scissors ensure safe play
- Cutting the pre-printed pictures helps develop fine motor skills
- Animal art and sequencing activities encourage creative thinking
- Scissors might be loose
- May require well-developed dexterity
A four-year-old boy’s curiosity leads him to dismantle and assemble his toys. This take-apart car set has been designed to awaken your child’s interest. The car is easy to take apart and re-assemble.
- Set includes five car parts, five modification parts, eight tires, and drill and screws
- Sturdy build withstands rough handling
- Car flashes headlights and makes engine sounds
- Free of BPA and PVC
- Sound box might be too sensitive
Camping is a fun activity. And it becomes even more fun with a cool camping set. This camping set contains essential tools such as a camping tent, compass, walkie-talkie, binoculars, and just about everything that your boy might need when spending time with nature.
- Encourages kids to have fun camping and hiking
- Teaches the kid to use camping equipment such as binoculars and walkie-talkie
- Allows kids to navigate without much use of technology
- Promotes communication with friends and family
- Tent material might be slightly thin
These magnet building tiles give your boy the freedom to create simple as well as complex structures. The set includes 40 triangle-shaped tiles and 24 square-shaped tiles as well as an instructions booklet and a storage pouch.
- Made of non-toxic ABS plastic
- Blocks come with smooth edges for safe use
- Building process encourages kids to be creative
- Sharpens problem-solving skills and imagination
- Helps teach kids colors and shapes
- Might not be as sturdy
- Magnets may not be as powerful
This PAW patrol themed tricycle enables your boy to maintain law and order in his city as he rides happily on it. It flashes light and is easy to pedal, so your little darling can catch up on the notorious beings.
- Handlebars are designed for easy grip
- Wide wheels give a firm and stable ride
- Seat is adjustable up to three levels
- Comes with a hidden storage compartment
- Toy walkie-talkie makes some fun sounds
- Might be smaller than expected
Easy to draw, easy to erase! This doodling board is simple and convenient to use. If your boy is fond of drawing, he can practice his future masterpieces on this doodling board without you having to spend extra on new books.
- Allows kids to write, draw, and scribble countless times
- Stencil toy aids in improving drawing skills
- Digital board helps guide kids write their names and letters of the alphabet, and draw different objects
- Encourages kids to progress from simple strokes to complex designs
- Volume might be slightly loud
Boys enjoy fixing things. And this toolbox is for those problem solvers who love to save your day with their magical fixing abilities.
- Includes two double-sided activity cards, an electronic tray, a drill, a hammer, a wrench, two nails, and two screws
- Toy drill spins and grills the chunky screws into the box
- Light-up buttons play songs and music
- Drilling improves hand-eye coordination and focus
- Song selection might be limited
This 153-piece maple wood toy set lets your tiny builder build a nice old house. The logs come in a tin jar so your son can easily store the pieces back into it after playing.
- Building process helps strengthen hand-eye coordination
- Balancing and placing the logs help develop spatial awareness
- Comes with an easy-to-understand instruction manual
- Includes figurines of two cowboys and two horses to give that rustic feel
- Allows kids to be creative
- Tin might be take up a lot of storage space
It is always fun to play with walkie talkies. This set of walkie talkies can help make any outing or even regular playtime interesting and exciting for your kid.
- Three-mile long transmitting range in open field and 0.5-1 mile range in a residential area
- Comes with an in-built flashlight and LCD backlight display
- Durable body is drop-resistant
- Ergonomic design makes handling easy for tiny hands
- Offers 22 channels and includes anti-interference function to reduce noise
- Some channels might not be secure
- Might consume a lot of battery
This play kitchen is a cool role-play toy for your future chef. It comes with kitchen equipment to keep your kid engaged in pretend play for hours.
- Stovetop makes realistic burner sounds
- Flashes light for effective play
- Features a built-in instant coffee machine
- Large refrigerator doubles up as storage space for tiny accessories
- Stovetop comes with only one knob
Just like in the Transformers movie, this robot too transforms into a car. The rescue pet figures also transform into armor, a capture claw, and a projectile launcher for a fierce battle with the enemy.
- Set comes with tiny parts designed to suit the little hands of young kids
- Robot converts into a vehicle in one simple move
- Car plays fun sounds
- Car flashes lights
- Might be slightly difficult to move different parts
Your search for a cool tricycle stops right here with this Harley-Davidson Tough Trike. Designed to look like a branded bike, this trike with rugged tires is meant to stand out from the rest.
- Handles designed for easy grip
- Wide rugged tires ensure a smooth and stable ride
- Large foot pedals make riding easy
- Features a secret compartment to hold toys
- Helps develop gross motor skills and balance in kids
- Can be tough to steer
- Might feel large for some children
If you see an amateur artist in your little boy and needs something to let his creative juices flow, this digital scribbling pad can be his next gift. He can scribble and doodle all he wants.
- Helps kids learn how to write numbers and the letters of the alphabet by tracing the digital lights
- Guides kids to write in the correct manner
- Provides audio feedback for better understanding
- Comes with an easy-to-grip stylus
- Might not teach all the sounds each letter makes
A popular gift option for children, this realistic dinosaur toy is 12-inch long and six-inch tall. It has a durable plastic body suitable for rough play. With light, sounds, and movement, this toy offers a sensory play experience to children of all ages and improves their concentration and other developmental skills. The toy is also suitable for children with autism.
- Batteries included and installed
- Easy on/off switch
- Movable jaw and legs
- May be louder than expected
- Not remote-controlled
For a little man who owns a fleet of stylish cars, a good parking garage is a basic necessity. This four-level garage allows your boy to park his cars safely and even take them out in style with the help of the launcher.
- Comes with a gas pump, a crane, and elevator
- Includes a spiral ramp to launch cars
- Includes a car wash to clean tiny matchbox cars
- Set contains a tow truck to tow cars for repairs
- Might not be easy to assemble
Want your son to improve his language skills? Have a look at this alphabet apple that makes learning letters and new words easy and simple.
- Alphabet buttons light up to make learning more exciting
- Toy plays songs to teach counting, spelling, and so on
- Frequent play helps develop language skills
- Offers eight modes of play with differing levels of complexity
- Power button is too easy for kids to access and accidentally shut it off
- Slightly advanced for toddlers
There is no denying that dinosaurs are the most intriguing creatures for kids. This 106-piece STEM toy offers various parts of a dinosaur-like a puzzle that your boy will have to piece together to create the full creature.
- Toy pieces ergonomically designed for little hands
- Free of BPA, lead, and phthalates
- Matching and attaching the pieces help enhance fine motor skills
- Promotes problem-solving skills in kids
- Does not come with instructions
Based on Disney Pixar Car 3, this playset gives your son the perfect way to spend time creating car racing stories. This traveling mack vehicle comes with two service vehicles to ensure your child’s car is serviced in record time.
- Car door opens for easy and fun play
- Interior area can fit up to four vehicles
- Large play area accommodates four cars
- Lightweight truck is easy to push and play with
- Might be smaller than expected
Your little future astronaut can explore the galaxy with this rocket ship tent. It is designed to capture the fantasy of young kids who love the night sky.
- Made of non-toxic, polyester fabric
- Durable fiberglass rod and waterproof body
- Mesh windows allow good air ventilation
- Colorful, vibrant illustrations make tent attractive for kids
- Easy to clean and pack
- Assembly might be slightly challenging
- Does not glow in the dark
Prepare your boy to become a future ace racer with this speed launcher. All he has to do is place the car in the launcher and press ‘go’ to start the race.
- Helps children learn how to assemble
- Comes with a leaderboard
- Includes a starting ramp
- Includes an easy-to-understand playing guide
- Launch function might not be powerful enough
This 68-piece kids toy workbench comes with toy tools and equipment that your son can use to fix anything around the house. It is a great role-play toy for your little handyman.
- Set contains realistic tools such as a hammer, nuts, screws, and so on
- Workbench can be folded and transformed into an easy-to-carry toolbox
- Hammering and fixing things help strengthen motor skills
- Fixing screws helps improve coordination and focus
- Workbench might not be as steady
- Does not fold
Virtual reality games are always fun and exciting. This smart cycle enables your little racer to pedal frantically like a cyclist but within the safety of your house. Just download the free Smart Cycle Mission to Tech City app, and let your kid spend hours driving, gaming, or racing.
- Cycle comes with a tablet screen for interactive play
- Compatible with Bluetooth, thus enabling you to connect it to a TV screen
- Adjustable seat ensures the kid is seated comfortably
- Ideal for teaching letters of the alphabet, new words, spelling, and more
- App might be a little slow
This set of interconnecting gears gives your boy the freedom to create anything he imagines. The STEM toy offers multiple benefits for a growing child.
- Connecting the tiny gears helps develop fine motor skills
- Adjusting the interlocking parts boosts reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Creating structures or design encourages creative thinking
- Toys come in a corrugated box for safe and convenient storage
Pieces might be slightly challenging to snap together
Let your little hero lead the chase in his friction police car. Just pull the car back, release it, and it races forward.
- Made of non-toxic ABS plastic
- Comes with two movable doors for realistic play
- Car flashes lights and plays siren sounds
- Car works on pull-back mechanism
- Ergonomically designed for small hands
- Might be difficult to replace the batteries
- Some may find it slightly loud
Introduce your kid to photography with this PROGRACE digital camera for children. It is designed to suit little kids with tiny hands.
- Allows the kid to take 5MP pictures and 108OP videos
- Comes with a two-inch IPS HD screen
- Supports burst shooting and time-lapse photography
- Camera comes with built-in puzzle games
- Sturdy sling works as a convenient neck attachment
- Might be smaller than expected
This marble run construction kit is for kids who love challenges. If your boy seeks complexity and challenge in every game, this one might just win him over.
- Made of non-toxic, child-safe birch and rubber wood
- Building the perfect combination promotes spatial and logical thinking skills
- Kids can come up with numerous layouts for effective play
- Teaches STEM principles
- Might be too challenging for younger kids
- Some parts are made of plastic
Here are a few tips to help you pick a good gift for your four-year-old boy.
- At the age of four years, your boy is slowly developing his unique personality. He now has his own preferences, likes, and dislikes. When confused, buy a toy similar to the one he already owns and enjoys playing.
- Your little boy is likely to get influenced by his friends and might ask you to him get the same toys that they possess. Pay attention to what he says, and you can make him happy by gifting him what he wants.
- When gifting a toy to someone else’s child, ask the boy’s parents for his likes and dislikes to get an idea of what you can buy for him.
Why Trust MomJunction?
With her experience in writing about kid’s products, toys, and gifts, Priti Bose ensures top-quality content to her readers through her extensive research and analysis. Based on genuine customer reviews on numerous websites, she has compiled the list of the best toys and gifts for 4-year-old boys. These toys are safe, long-lasting, and of high quality. She has incorporated a variety of playsets and toys, ranging from automobiles to educational toys, with detailed product descriptions. She also included a purchasing guide to assist you in selecting the finest toy gifts for your child.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What toys should 4-year-olds play with?
At four years of age, children are able to express themselves and learn better. The toys that they should be playing with, at this age, should help them to develop socially, physically, and emotionally. Further, their toys should promote pretend-play, physical activity indoors and outdoors, or should be educational to prepare them for school.
2. Are toys safe to play with or without adult supervision?
Toys specifically designed for a certain age range are age-appropriate. However, a few toys may contain small or tiny pieces that may require adult supervision to avoid any possible choking hazards.
3. Are toys important for a four-year-old’s development?
Toys are not necessary for a four-year-old’s development, yet they play an important role in their development by giving them an opportunity to learn either directly or indirectly. Toys like vehicles, blocks, art and craft kits, and puzzles help them develop fine and gross motor skills, cognitive thinking, creativity, and more. Whereas some educational toys help them develop social skills, critical thinking, and problem-solving abilities.
4. What makes a toy appealing to a four-year-old?
Toys that are colorful, manipulative, and interactive are more appealing to a four-year-old than toys that are simple and plain.
Choosing a sensible gift for young boys can be a difficult task. With this list of the best toys and gifts for 4-year-old boys, we hope this task has become easier. Toys that develop their cognitive, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills are a great choice. You should also ensure the toys are age-appropriate and come with instructions that are easy to understand. However, to make the best choice, you must consider the receiver’s personal interests and likes. Also, consider opting for something they can continue using for longer.
View Profile ›