Are you watching your diet and maintaining a disciplined lifestyle during pregnancy to ensure you have a healthy baby? Are you aware that you may pass on certain infections to your baby that may pose a serious threat to his growth and development?
One such infection is gonorrhea. Gonorrhea is a sexually transmitted bacterial infection with a very high transmission rate. If gonorrhea during pregnancy detected early it is curable with the help of antibiotics. Though gonorrhea does not have any stark symptoms, it can become a serious health scare if left untreated. Therefore, it is necessary to get yourself checked during the first, as well as the last trimester of your pregnancy for gonorrhea infection. Read on to know more about the disease.
What Is Gonorrhea?
Gonorrhea is a sexually transmitted disease that affects both men and women.
- The infection affects the genital, throat, and the rectum.
- A pregnant woman with gonorrhea can pass on this infection to the baby during vaginal delivery.
- Normally a newborn will show symptoms of gonorrhea after 2-5 days since birth.
- In newborn babies, the infection usually affects the eyes. In the case of improper or delayed treatment, it can cause permanent blindness too.
- In a rare scenario, the infection may enter the bloodstream of the newborn. It can further cause blood or joint infections and meningitis.
Causes Of Gonorrhea During Pregnancy:
The growth of the bacteria named Neisseria gonorrhoeae spreads Gonorrhea. Any sexually active person can contract this infection. The infection mostly affects people in their mid-twenties or early thirties.
[ Read: Effects Of Chlamydia During Pregnancy ]
Symptoms Of Gonorrhea During Pregnancy:
The symptoms of Gonorrhea can easily go unnoticed and are similar to that of vaginal infection. However, it is imperative that all women get themselves tested during pregnancy for this infection. Here are a few prominent symptoms of Gonorrhea:
- Pain or burning sensation while urinating.
- Sudden increase in vaginal discharge.
- Spotting or bleeding between periods.
In the case of rectal infection, some of the symptoms can be as follows:
- Itching in the anal area.
- Soreness and bleeding.
- Pain during bowel moments.
If you develop an infection in your eyes, the symptoms may be as follows:
- Red and itchy eyes.
- Watery discharge.
When you experience these symptoms, you should discuss these freely with your doctor. It will help you seek immediate medical treatment.
[ Read: Hpv During Pregnancy ]
Harmful Effects Of Gonorrhea During Pregnancy:
When gonorrhea remains undetected and thereby untreated during pregnancy, it can result in serious problems and complications.
- It can cause premature delivery or even spontaneous abortion.
- You may pass on the infection to your baby at the time of vaginal delivery. It can lead to blindness, joint infection or a severe blood infection in your baby.
Treatment For Gonorrhea In Pregnancy:
Diagnosis is the first step in treating gonorrhea. A urine test can easily help diagnose the infection.
- If you are suffering from an infection, your doctor will give you antibiotics that are safe for consumption during pregnancy.
- Your doctor may also ask your partner to undergo tests for the infection. If your partner tests positive, he too will need medication.
- It is necessary to abstain from any sexual contact while you are undergoing treatment for gonorrhea.
[ Read: Oral Sex During Pregnancy ]
Remember it is necessary to be healthy and disease free when you are pregnant to safeguard your health and the growth and development of your baby. Do not hesitate to seek your doctor’s help if you suffer from any of the above symptoms. Remember, timely medical intervention can treat some of the most difficult health issues.
We hope you find this information useful, and will pass it on to those who are pregnant. Do share with us any preventive measures of avoiding the same.
- 5 Signs And Symptoms Of HPV During Pregnancy You Should Be Aware Of
- Trichomoniasis During Pregnancy – Everthing You Need To Know
- 8 Infections You Should Be Aware Of During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Palak Shah (see all)
- Is It Safe To Eat Rambutan During Pregnancy? - November 4, 2015
- Gonorrhea During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - January 2, 2015
- Is It Safe To Donate Blood While Breastfeeding? - December 31, 2014
- Kitchen Safety For Kids - Rules And Tips You Need To Know - December 31, 2014
- 4 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Insect Bites In Babies/Infants - December 26, 2014
- 4 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Sore Breasts During Breastfeeding - November 28, 2014
- 4 Health Benefits Of Wheat For Your Baby - November 27, 2014
- 7 Effective Tips On Making Your Restless Baby Sleep - October 10, 2014
- Is It Safe To Have A Transvaginal Scan During Pregnancy? - October 10, 2014
- 5 Remedies To Get Rid Of Clumsiness During Pregnancy - October 7, 2014