Have you heard about the health benefits of drinking green tea? Are you planning to introduce green tea to your child but not sure can kids drink green tea or what are its health side effects? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post may be a good idea.
Green tea is a popular beverage that offers many health benefits. But is green tea good for kids? Read on to know more!
What Is Green Tea?
You can brew green tea by boiling the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant in hot water.  Sometimes, a green tea extract is also used as a medicine.
Some of the health benefits that green tea consumers attribute to the beverage are:
- Drinking green tea improves cardiovascular health as it helps prevent clogged arteries and low blood pressure.
- It is rich in antioxidants and helps to prevent various types of cancer, like endometrial cancer and ovarian cancer.
- Regular and prolonged intake of green tea can improve bone density in menopausal women and prevent osteoporosis.
- Green tea also helps prevent Parkinson’s disease.
It is important to note that excessive intake of green tea for your child can also have negative effects.
[ Read: Side Effects Of Coffee On Kids ]
The Side Effects Of Serving Green Tea For Kids:
Green tea is a proven ‘healthy’ beverage for adults. Research is yet to prove how green tea can boost the health of children hence most doctors do not recommend it.
Here are some side effects of green tea that you should consider before giving it to your children:
- Green tea contains caffeine, and its excessive consumption can cause hyperactivity, headache, sleep problems, vomiting, diarrhea, irritability, irregular heartbeat, tremor, heartburn, dizziness, convulsions, and confusion.
- Green tea adversely affects the absorption of iron from food and may cause anemia in your growing child.
- Drinking green tea can interfere with certain medications and can cause negative reactions.
- Green tea consumption can weaken the bones of your kid as it increases the amount of calcium flushed out from his body in urine.
- Your kid may develop a food allergy after consuming green tea.
- Drinking green tea can reduce his body’s absorption of thiamine. A deficiency of thiamine in the body can cause Beriberi. It is a disorder of the nervous system and can cause weakness in your kid’s limbs, impairment of his sensory perceptions, irregularity in his heart rate and more.
- Green tea also contains a very high amount of oxalic acid and can lead to the formation of kidney stones.
[ Read: Health Drinks For Kids ]
Benefits Of Giving Green Tea For Kids:
Sometimes, giving green tea for children may work wonders for them in the following ways:
- You may give your kid a little green tea if you feel he is always tired and lacks energy. Make sure you watch out for any food allergy. If he seems energetic and happy, you may give him a very small quantity of green tea next day as well.
- Green tea contains the compounds catechin and amino acid theanine. Drinking green tea on an average of five cups a week could help him fight off influenza. 
- Having green tea may reduce his chances of developing a cavity and bad breath as it contains catechin that works against these. Remember that there is no adequate research to back this claim yet.
[ Read: Effects Of Energy Drinks On Children ]
While green tea is surely beneficial for adults when consumed in moderation, its effect on kids is not yet proven. Remember to speak to your doctor before giving green tea to your kid.
Do you serve green tea to your kids? How does green tea consumption benefit their health? Do share your experience and advice with other moms here.
- Is Bottled Water Safe For Kids?
- What Are The Effects Of Eating Junk Food In Children?
- Ways To Control Your Kid From Consuming Alcohol
- Good And Bad Effects Of Television On Children
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016