Does your child love music? Is the toy guitar their favorite thing to play with every day? If yes, it could be time to take their interest forward by introducing them to a real guitar.
But should you get them a real one? Maybe yes, if you think their interest in the instrument is more than just a childhood fancy. Take them to a music school and let them explore the idea of playing the guitar. And when you think they’re ready for their own guitar, get them one!
15 Best Guitars For Children
1. Elena Of Avalor Disney Storytime Guitar
It is a Disney-themed guitar that portrays the bold and compassionate princess of Avalor. This guitar toy can make an excellent gift and can be used like any other guitar to play songs other than the featured ones.
- Has an appealing design
- Great sound compared to other kids’ guitars
- Features three songs the kids can sing along to
- Comes with one guitar pick
- Strings are made of plastic
- Volume cannot be adjusted
2. Donner Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar
This acoustic guitar from Donner is crafted to play all the styles of music. The top of the instrument’s body is made of spruce wood, and the back and side are made of mahogany. The product is of high quality and affordable too.
- Includes 20 brass frets
- Comes with a gig bag
- The package also includes a guitar strap, guitar capo, strings, digital clip-on tuner, polishing cloth, and guitar picks
- Available in different colors
- Comes with bronze strings, which are difficult to bend
3. VTech Zoo Jamz Guitar
Let your little one jam with this toy guitar from Vtech, which can be used to play the in-built music or other tunes of your kid’s choice. There are eight kid-friendly tunes for the little one to sing and play along. This giraffe styled guitar also has some cool guitar effects.
- It has dials to choose acoustic, electric, or distortion sounds
- Light-up buttons and funny animal sounds
- Good quality
- Recommended for kids aged from 18 months to 4 years old
4. Yamaha JR2 Acoustic Guitar
This acoustic guitar from Yamaha is compact and can be taken along anywhere the kid wants to play it. Ideal for carrying along on road trips, camping, picnics, or other occasions. The top body is crafted from spruce wood, and the side and back of the body are made from mahogany. The fretboard and bridge are made of rosewood.
- Includes a gig bag
- Easy-to-use clip-on tuner
- Extra strings and a string winder also included
- Showcases great workmanship
- The accessories do not include a neck strap
5. Martin LXK2
This acoustic guitar from C.F. Martin comes with a Sitka spruce bracing. It is perfect for beginners and travelers and has a C.F. Martin script logo on the headstock. This guitar’s neck is made up of stratabond, and its hardware is FSC certified.
- Easy to carry around
- High-quality materials that endure different weather conditions
- Gigbag for protection
- Some customers felt that the tuners are not that good
6. Oscar Schmidt Acoustic Guitar
This guitar from Oscar Schmidt is crafted to offer maximum playability and has great aesthetics too. It is about three-fourths the size of a regular guitar and is ideal for children. The back and side are made from mahogany, and the fingerboard is made from rosewood.
- Great sound
- Lifetime warranty
- Chrome die-cast tuners
- Easy to carry while traveling
- Some customers felt that it is slightly bigger than the other guitars of the same size
7. J&Z Acoustic Guitar For Beginners
This beginner guitar from J&Z is crafted meticulously to produce warm and pitch-perfect harmonies. The top, back, and sides of the guitar are made of basswood, whereas the head and fretboard are constructed from maple wood. It is perfect for kids who wish to step into the world of music.
- Six nylon strings
- Features a well-constructed dreadnought body
- Comes with a storage bag
- Some customers felt that it needs to be tuned every 10 minutes
8. Coco Interactive Guitar by Mattel
This iconic guitar from Disney is inspired by the movie Coco. If your child loves the movie, this can make an excellent gift for them to get inspired and learn to play the guitar. The guitar also plays chords with simple press and strum.
- Great sound
- Easy to use
- When the guitar is strummed, it lights up
- Made of good quality and hard plastic
- Does not have real strings
9. Soprano Ukulele Acoustic Toy Guitar
This acoustic toy guitar from UKUALAA is designed to offer kids a great musical experience. It has a unique and compact design, along with a few elegant features. It is an excellent option for beginners.
- Made from eco-friendly ABS plastic
- Lightweight and compact
- Easy to carry
- Safe for kids
- Accessories consist of only plastic guitar picks
10. Loog Mini Acoustic Kids Guitar
This mini acoustic guitar from Loog is specially designed for kids to play, learn, and have fun. It can be connected to the Loog guitar app that teaches them chord formation to unlock the songs. The mini guitar also comes with a deck of flashcards that help the kids to form chords.
- Three-string-award winning design
- Made of real wood
- Nylon strings
- Loog guitar app is compatible with iOS and Android
- Ideal for kids between the ages of three and seven
11. Hape Kid’s Wooden Toy Ukulele
This wooden toy guitar from Hape is designed to develop auditory and creative skills in kids. It also teaches them basic rhythm, strumming, and other techniques. The guitar can be easily played and tuned by young hands.
- Child-safe materials used in the construction of the guitar
- Nylon strings used
- Non-toxic finishes
- High-quality sound
- Some customers felt that the tuners are hard and difficult to work with
12. Hohner HAG250P Classical Guitar
The half-sized classical guitar from Hohner is perfect for kids in the ages of four to seven. The accurate intonation and low action of this guitar make it a perfect beginners’ guitar. The Agathis wood, which is one of the species of evergreen trees, is used in building this instrument.
- Equipped with light gauge nylon strings
- Safe and easy for children
- Songbook and color stickers included
- Some customers had issues with tuning the guitar
13. Yamaha FG JR1 Acoustic Guitar
This Yamaha acoustic guitar features a Spruce wood top, Indonesian wood for back and sides, Nato wood for the neck, and Javanese rosewood for the fingerboard. It makes a perfect first guitar for the child.
- Easy to carry while traveling
- Delivers authentic acoustic sound
- Includes gig bag for safe storage
- Fret space is a bit tight
14. POMAIKAI Kids Guitar
This could be the perfect guitar for your child on their special day. It depicts excellent artistry along with innovation. It has a premium basswood body and comes with 12 frets on the fingerboard. The basswood body creates crisp and melodious sound.
- High-quality nylon strings
- Sturdy body
- Available in nine colors
- 15-geared professional tuning machines
- Ideal for kids who are beginners in learning this musical instrument
15. Smartxchoices Mini Kids Electric Guitar
This mini electric guitar set for kids from Samrtxchoices is crafted in hardwood for the body and rosewood for the fingerboard. It has an attractive and beautiful finish that makes it appealing to kids of all ages. This is an ideal beginner’s guitar that you can get for your child.
- Easy to carry
- Includes all the necessary accessories
- Comes with volume, bass tone, and treble control
- Some parents felt that the tuning machine doesn’t remain in tune for long
Different Types Of Guitars
Guitars are usually of three types.
- Classical guitar: The lightweight guitar is built with nylon strings that are easy on little fingers. It is specifically used for playing music of Latin origin and folk music. It works well as a beginner’s guitar.
- Acoustic guitar: It is similar to the classical guitar, except it has steel strings and a steel rod in the neck (the long wooden piece attached to the body). This guitar is used for playing blues, country, bluegrass, jazz, rock, and other music. It is heavier than the classical one.
- Electric guitar: It uses one or more picks to convert the string vibrations into electrical signals. It has a wooden body with a reinforced steel neck. The electric guitar is used for playing pop and rock music and mostly used by professionals and experienced guitar players.
The type of guitar you buy depends on its features and the child’s level of expertise.
Buying Guide For Guitars For Kids
Here are some points to remember while purchasing a guitar for your kids:
- Size: Guitars are available in four sizes, to suit people of different ages and heights. Pick a guitar of specific weight and size that your child can handle comfortably.
- Shape: It is necessary to consider the shape of the guitar as different models come in different shapes. Try the models at a retail store to see what works best for your child. Some of the styles include classical, concert, grand concert, auditorium, and jumbo.
- Tuning: Make sure to check if the guitar is easy to tune. Also, check how often it has to be tuned. Having to tune a guitar too often could be off-putting, and even time-consuming in some cases.
- Action: It refers to the measure of the strings’ height on the fretboard. The action of the guitar affects its playability by keeping it in tune and maintaining intonation. The action should not be too low or too high.
- Accessories: Makes sure that you get all the necessary accessories for the guitar, such as gig bag, picks, extra strings, neck strap, and a few more.
Note: If your child is left-handed, then don’t bother looking for left-handed guitars. Learning the instrument itself helps in developing the capability of both hands to work in coordination. So, go with the regular ones.
If you are planning to buy a guitar, then make sure to go through the buying guide and check all the features to get value for the money you spend. Keeping a list of specific things you expect from the instrument will let the vendor guide you in selecting the right guitar for your kid.
Did you buy a guitar for your child? What points did you consider before making a purchase? Share your experience with us in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.