Mobile phones have become a necessity for people of all ages. But before giving one to your children, you should be aware of the effects of mobile phones on kids.
Phones have become a boon and a bane to society. They help us stay connected to people living far away from us and give us access to a world of opportunities. But on the other hand, addiction to phones can cause damage to children’s eyesight and impact their wellbeing (1).
So, if you are thinking of giving your child a mobile phone, we suggest you wait for a little longer. Read on as we state the facts about the effects that mobile phones have on children and suggest ways to reduce their exposure to the phones.
Bad Effects Of Mobile Phones On Children:
Today’s children are growing up in a radio-frequency environment that never existed in human history before. The radiation emitted by mobile phones and mobile phone masts can have adverse effects on children. Some include:
1. Health Hazard:
In recent years, there has been a lot of speculation about the impact of cell phone radiation on our body. A study by The Journal of the American Medical Association stirred the debate when it investigated the repercussions the mobile phones could have on the brain activity. The possible health hazards of mobile phones on children are as follows:
A. Non-Malignant Tumors:
The study has shown that children who use mobile phones have the possibility of developing non-malignant tumor in the brain and ear (2).
The World Health Organization (WHO) has classified cell phone radiation as ‘possibly carcinogenic to humans’ (3). Children absorb more than 60% of the radiation into the brain than adults. It is believed that their brain’s thinner skin, tissues, and bones may make them more vulnerable to absorb the radiation twice as much as grown-ups; however, more research is needed to establish the finding (4). Their developing nervous system makes them more vulnerable to this ‘carcinogen’.
C. Effects On The Brain:
The radio waves from the mobile penetrate deep into the brain, not just around the ear. The disturbed brain activity could impair children’s learning ability and other behavioral problems. It could even affect their mood and ability to learn in the classroom if they have used the phone during the break time (5).
Children, just like teens, are addicted to mobile phones. They play games, chat and talk to their friends on their mobile phone all the time. Along with the school supplies, many students take their mobile phones on their daily trips to their school. They talk on the phone during their free time and send messages during the classes. Thus, they miss the lesson taught and fall behind the other students (6).
3. Inappropriate Behavior:
Use of cell phones can lead children to engage in inappropriate behaviors. Texting and sending inappropriate pictures is a growing problem with teens. The images go in the wrong hands, giving others access to the private photos. Children can also access pornographic sites from their multimedia devices (6).
4. Malpractice In Exams:
Most of the students indulge in exam malpractices and cheating during the internal and external examinations. Some make use of a calculator while others store information in it. Some also use it to send answers for multiple choice questions to those in the examination hall. It can end the student’s career if caught (7).
Mobile Phone Safety For Kids:
- Do not give a cell phone if your child is under 16 years. A child’s brain is too sensitive to withstand the effects of mobile radiation.
- Do not let your child hold a mobile phone directly up to their head. Use an air-tube headset instead.
- Do not let your child make calls in buses, trains, cars, and elevators. The mobile phone works harder to get the signal out through the metal, which increases the power level.
- Do not let your child use a cell phone when the signal is weak. It will increase the power to the maximum, as the phone attempts to connect to a new relay antenna.
- Limit the use of cell phones around children.
- Make sure that there is no mobile phone mast or network tower near your home or your kid’s school.
- Do not let children take mobile phones to school.
- Do not leave mobile phones in your children’s bedroom at night.
- Install parental control applications which allows you to control information accessible to the children and monitor it also.
- Enroll your children in more outdoor activities like sports, music lessons, this occupies their time, while engaging them both physically and mentally
The effects of mobile phones on kids can be drastically reduced by following specific guidelines. Using gadgets disrupts the peace of mind and eats up all your time. With the growing number of health risks that its usage has shown, children should not have complete access to it. You can begin by reducing the number of hours for which they can have the phone with themselves, gradually increasing their free time to go outdoors and play with their friends.
- Mobile Device Overuse Raises Child Myopia Risk
- Cell Phone Radiation & Children’s Health: What Parents Need to Know
- IARC classifies Radiofrequency Electromagnetic Fields as possibly carcinogenic to humans
- Kenneth R. Foster And Chung-Kwang Chou Are Children More Exposed to Radio Frequency Energy From Mobile Phones Than Adults?
- Children and Cell Phones: Is Phone Radiation Risky for Kids?
- Mahendra Singh Yadav et al.; (2021); Impact of mobile phone dependence on behavior and academic performance of adolescents in selected schools of Uttarakhand India
- What impact is technology having on student cheating?
- Children and Cell Phones: Weighing the Risks and Benefits.