Safety comes first when you are pregnant. So, if you are feeling like having those sumptuous turkey dishes that you ate before you were pregnant check with your doctor. An informed decision will ensure you do not repent later.
You need a high nutritious diet in pregnancy and when it comes to your favorite turkey, these are indeed nutritious. However, you need to be careful that it is cooked well. Undercooked meats can make you quite sick in pregnancy. It can also affect the fetus developing inside you. You may be in a dilemma whether can I eat turkey during pregnancy or not.
According to research studies, most of the moms tend to suffer at this time due to infectious developments in the birth canal. Cases of preterm delivery, miscarriages are common if you take turkey infected with listeria.
Health Benefits Of Eating Turkey During Pregnancy:
Make sure to clean and wash the meat well. Cooking them in right temperature frees you from major concerns when you eat it in moderation. Here are some health benefits of eating turkey while pregnant:
- 4 OZ of turkey contains around 32gm of protein that your body needs at this time.
- Turkey is a good source of vital amino acids. A turkey sandwich can meet most of your protein requirements of the day.
- Turkey is a good source of B vitamins like B6 and B3 that you need for a healthy pregnancy.
- If you want to get the best nutrients from your turkey, look for the ones that are raised under organic conditions.
- Grass fed turkeys are rich in nutrients and lot more superior compared to the ones given antibiotics and with no access to the natural pasture.
[ Read: Nutritional Foods During Pregnancy ]
You need to make sure that the turkey you buy is not contaminated. Contamination results from the following:
- Improper handling leads to development of bacteria that might already be present in the meat.
- Listeria that crosses your placenta barrier and infects the birth canal multiples in the refrigerator as well.
- So even if you think preserving them in the cold can make it safe for your consumption, it can outsmart you.
[ Read: Vitamin B Rich Foods During Pregnancy ]
Turkey Preparation Tips:
To ensure the turkey you cook is perfectly safe, these are some guidelines you need to keep in mind:
- Steady cooking is the best option.
- Cooking at a lower temperature means cooking for long.
- To get the best results, roast the meat at 300 degree Fahrenheit.
- Once the oven temperature reaches 140 degree, you can increase the temperature to 400 Fahrenheit to brown the meat.
- To make sure the meat is cooked well, you can use an instant- reading thermometer.
- The best temperature to remove the turkey is from 155-160 degrees.
- While testing temperatures, make sure the thermometer does not touch the bone, as you will get wrong results this way.
- Keep the turkey in standby mode for 20 minutes so that it is done perfectly.
Following these simple cooking tips will not only bring out the best taste of the turkey, but also ensure whether consumption of turkey during pregnancy is safe or not.
To be on the safe side, do have a word with your doctor about the daily recommended allowance of turkey during your pregnancy. Eating a whole range of nutritious and wholesome food ensures proper health of your unborn. Since every bite of your food counts, you need to be careful. Let your healthcare provider help you make the right choices, as choosing the right food had never been so tough before!
[ Read: Eating Lamb During Pregnancy ]
Moms do let us know what you did during pregnancy to ensure your little ones stay in good health in the comment section below.
- Is It Safe To Eat Liver During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Oysters During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Prawns During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Seafood During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by moumita ghosh (see all)
- 8 Effective Tips To Relieve Finger Pain During Pregnancy - November 23, 2015
- Top 5 Camel Crafts For Preschoolers And Young Kids - November 23, 2015
- 4 Interesting Winter Craft Ideas For Your Toddler - January 21, 2015
- 7 Simple Tips To Inculcate Good Sleep Habits In Babies - January 9, 2015
- 6 Effective Ways To Help Your Teen Make Smart Decisions - January 9, 2015
- How To Raise A Teenage Girl? - January 8, 2015
- 3 Different Ways To Fold Your Baby's Cloth Diaper - January 7, 2015
- Hearing Test For Babies/Infants - Everything You Need To Know - January 6, 2015
- Broken Tailbone In Children – Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - January 5, 2015
- Is Breast Milk Effective To Treat Acne In Babies? - January 3, 2015