Has your baby started eating solids and is over eight or nine months of age? Are you planning to start your baby on some healthy nuts? Well, if you can relate to the above situations you may want to give this post a read.
Almonds are famous for their nutritional value. Are you wondering whether almonds are a good choice for your baby at this age? The article here tells you about almonds and almond milk, their health benefits and whether can babies have almond milk. Want to know more? Check out this post!
What Are Almonds?
Almonds are available in two forms – sweet almonds and bitter almonds. Sweet almonds are the popular variety of almonds. Almond oil is an extract of sweet almonds. Bitter almonds are also a common kitchen ingredient. Unlike what the name suggests, it is not bitter, and you can easily consume it.
Nutritional Facts Of Almonds:
Here is a nutritional chart that highlights the nutritional value of almonds:
Health Benefits Of Almonds For Babies:
Here are some of the most common benefits of eating almonds:
1. Good For The Brain:
Almonds contain various nutrients that help the health and development of your baby’s brain. Eating almonds will also promote your baby’s intelligence levels. Almonds contain riboflavin and L-carnitine that will help increase your baby’s brain activity. These will also prevent the occurrence of Alzheimer’s disease in later years.
[ Read: Benefits Of Dry Fruits For Babies ]
2. Controls Cholesterol:
Though this benefit may not help your baby right now, but eating almonds will help keep cholesterol levels in check as he grows. Avoid salted or sugar-coated almonds. (1)
3. Prevents Diabetes:
Eating almonds prevents the occurrence of diabetes in later years. Among nuts almonds are the richest in nutrients and contain the highest amount of Vitamin E (2) Eating almonds can prevent diabetes as they have low glycemic index.
Side Effects Of Almonds:
Consuming almonds in moderate quantities, will usually not cause any side effects in your baby. However, consult a pediatrician to know the right age when you can start giving almonds for baby. In case there is a family history of a nut allergy, check with your doctor first.
[ Read: Watermelon For Babies ]
How To Add Almonds For Babies Food?
Once your doctor gives the go ahead, you can introduce your baby to the goodness of almonds. It is always advisable to soak the almonds overnight in water. Peel off the outer skin in the morning and crush it to fine pieces. You can also blend almonds to a powdery texture. You can add the almond powder to your baby’s food and milk.
Almond Milk For Babies:
Adding almonds to your baby’s milk will increase its nutritional value. It is also a good way to make your fussy baby drink the milk. If your baby is lactose intolerant, you can also add almonds in soy milk.
Here’s a recipe for babies who are a year old or more:
You Will Need:
- Oats (optional)
- Sugar (optional) – you may add other sweetening ingredients like jaggery or dates after checking with your baby’s doctor
- Saffron (optional)
- Cardamom powder (optional)
How To Make:
Soak the almonds in water overnight
- In the morning, peel off the skin. Put them in a blender along with a little milk. Blend it to a smooth consistency.
- In a pan, pour the milk and bring it to a boil on low or medium flame. You can also add the oats while boiling to make it a complete meal.
- Add saffron, sugar and cardamom powder and stir.
- Add the almond paste and stir. Remove from the heat.
- Strain the milk through a sieve to remove any thick particles.
[ Read: Orange Juice For Babies ]
Now you know how to make almond milk for babies at home. So, why wait? Go ahead and make this healthy and tasty treat to pamper your precious baby now!
Have you started adding almonds to your baby’s diet? Does your baby enjoy almonds in other foods or do you also make almond milk at home? Do share your almond recipes for babies with other moms here.
- 6 Simple Steps To Prepare Squash For Babies
- 7 Yummy Fruit Purees For Your Baby
- 6 Health Benefits Of Raisins For Your Baby
- 11 Simple Steps To Prepare Carrot Puree For Your Baby
- 5 Easy Steps To Prepare Banana Puree For Your Baby
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016