Barley is a versatile grain that has a nutty flavor and a good consistency, which is touted greatly for its health benefits. But is barley good during pregnancy?
In this article, we have outlined the role barley plays during pregnancy. To help you decide whether taking barley in pregnancy is safe or not.
The Good And Bad About The “Wonder Grain”:
We understand that when you are pregnant, you would be cautious about taking each step carefully to deliver a healthy baby.
Some opine that barley water is highly beneficial for pregnant ladies. As it has diuretic properties that triggers the urination rate. Thereby eliminating accumulation of excess fluid in the body and prevents swelling in legs.
Some say that consuming barley can trigger various symptoms of allergy and cause gastrointestinal issues in pregnant women.
[ Read: Coconut Water During Pregnancy ]
Health Benefits Of Barley During Pregnancy:
During pregnancy, your hormones tend to change a lot, making your body undergo various changes. During such times, consuming barley water can be useful for you in various ways. Below mentioned are the amazing benefits of barley water during pregnancy:
1. Barley offers you daily requirements of your body by providing the required amount of calcium, magnesium, iron and potassium.
2. Barley is rich in dietary fiber, which helps it to prevent issues like constipation and hemorrhoids, which are a serious medical condition that occurs in pregnant women.
3. The presence of niacin in this grain promotes digestion in pregnant women; niacin also aids in clotting of blood, which makes it highly helpful when delivering your baby.
4. Barley’s glycemic index maintains your blood sugar levels and helps to keep gestational diabetes at bay.
5. Barley beans are a rich source of folic acid that enables the grain to avoid various neutral tube defects like cleft lip, spinal bifida and other congenital defects.
6. Barley has copper in it which promotes the flexibility of blood vessels, joints and bones while you are pregnant.
7. Barley is a well known diuretic agent that makes it safe for you to consume it to get better relief from all kinds of yeast infections and urinary tract infections.
8. Barley is said to have the capabilities to lower the inflammation in the stomach; it can also flush out the toxins from the body and safeguards the body from all kinds of infections.
9. Having barley water would help to deal with morning sickness and nausea; it can also offer a good amount of relief from abdomen itch.
10. Barley can perform tissue repair and aids in growth of cells, which makes it very helpful while your belly is growing at a rapid pace to accommodate the growing baby.
11. The lactogenic properties of this wonder grain can help in secretion of more breast milk.
[ Read: Dates During Pregnancy ]
Barley water is prepared with natural ingredients and it rarely has any side effect when consumed by pregnant women. However, some of you would experience a few side effects.
- Barley might be allergic to few and would trigger some side effects like itchiness, rashes and shortness of breath.
- Too much consumption of barley or sprouted barley is not advisable as it can lead to abortion or birth defects.
- The dust of barley would cause sinus irritation, eye pain or nasal congestion in a few.
- If you happen to consume barley infected by fungi, then you might have to suffer from a bone related medical condition called Kashin Beck disease.
[ Read: Sinus During Pregnancy ]
We hope that your doubts regarding drinking/eating eating barley during pregnancy are cleared now, as barley is nutritious and is helpful for your pregnancy. Remember that you don’t go overboard and opt for good quality barley for consumption. If you have further doubts, the best person to talk to is your doctor or certified nutritionist. All the best for a happy delivery!
Don’t forget to share your thoughts and experiences with us.
- Nutritional Benefits Of Eating Nuts During Pregnancy
- Amazing Benefits Of Fiber During Pregnancy
- What Are The Benefits Of Eating Amla During Pregnancy?
- Amazing Benefits Of Honey For Pregnant Women
Latest posts by Dhivya (see all)
- 10 Must Know Internet Safety Tips For Kids And Teens - March 21, 2017
- How To Choose The Best Baby Formula For Your Little Ones? - December 26, 2014
- Can You Feed Cerelac To Your 4 Month Old Baby? - November 5, 2014
- 5 Simple Tips To Help You Buy The Right Breast Pads - November 3, 2014
- 4 Serious Symptoms Of Wheat Allergy In Babies/Infants - October 28, 2014
- 6 Memorable Lord Ganesha Stories For Kids - October 18, 2014
- 6 Reasons To Breastfeed From One Breast Only - October 17, 2014
- 10 Important Functions Of Placenta During Pregnancy - October 17, 2014
- Is It Safe To Wear A Bra While Breastfeeding? - October 17, 2014
- Birth Defects – Causes, Symptoms And Treatments - October 13, 2014