Parenting is all about making everything near to perfect for your baby. Be it food, clothes or surroundings, you will strive to give your best while providing care and attention to your little one.
Identifying and including nutrition rich food groups is one of the major responsibilities. This will help determine the growth pattern of your baby. You will find yourself constantly scouting for foods that are best of the best and those that your baby is not allergic to.
Buckwheat For Babies:
Buckwheat is an excellent source of nutrition for your growing baby.
a. What Is Buckwheat?
Most people confuse buckwheat with ‘wheat’ due to its name. Buckwheat is not even from the family of grains. It is a seed, just like quinoa, accidentally pushed into the grain clan of food groups.
This super food comes packed with essential vitamins and minerals that are required for the healthy growth of your baby.
[ Read: Chickpeas For Babies ]
b. Forms Of Buckwheat:
Usually you will get buckwheat in the form of fine grains in the market.
- You can store buckwheat either in its grain form or in the flour form in an air tight container.
- If you live in hot climates it would be ideal to store buckwheat in your refrigerator.
- You will also find buckwheat grounded flour available in the market.
c. Difference Between Buckwheat And Kasha:
You would have heard the name ‘Kasha’ in the list of super good foods for babies.
- Kasha is nothing but roasted buckwheat that has a varied flavor.
- You will get the same under the label of Kasha flour in the market.
[ Read: Arrowroot For Babies ]
d. Benefits Of Buckwheat:
A rich food full of goodness, buckwheat has multiple benefits in store for your baby:
- Being completely gluten free, buckwheat is ideal for babies suffering from gluten intolerance or celiac disease.
- Buckwheat is useful for babies who are allergic to wheat protein.
- The notable amounts of vitamin B2, niacin, folate, potassium, magnesium and calcium in buckwheat make it an ideal food for complete nourishment. It boosts the overall healthy development of your baby.
- Tasty and appetizing, buckwheat is well liked by most babies who will take an instant fondness for the food.
e. Nutrient Components In Buckwheat:
Buckwheat consists of the below essential nutrients required for your growing baby:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B1
- Vitamin B2
- Vitamin C
[ Read: Beet Recipe For Baby ]
5 Buckwheat Recipes For Babies:
You need not restrict yourself to making plain porridge or adding buckwheat powder to other foods while introducing the taste to your baby. Below are some tasty ways to prepare buckwheat for babies:
- Baby cereal with one part of buckwheat powder and 4 cups of warm water.
- Add Kasha porridge with yogurt mixed with fruit based purees.
- Include Kasha in tasty versions like Upma, Idli or other steamed recipes.
- Prepare meatballs mixing one cup Kasha with one egg and one pound chicken in the usual recipe.
- Simply add delicious seasonal fruit and nuts along with Kasha porridge or cereal before serving.
[ Read: Vegetable Puree For Baby ]
Making Your Baby Eat Buckwheat:
You can introduce buckwheat cereal for babies diet once he or she is above 8 months of age and is ready to ingest solid foods.
- It is important to let your baby explore the taste, texture and feel of buckwheat cereal or porridge before proceeding to eat.
- Your baby will play around for a while in a rather messy way, but being patient matters.
- Odds are that your baby will fall in love with the taste eventually.
- If not, you can try experimenting with various methods to include a bit of buckwheat in other forms of diet.
Buckwheat is an excellent option to cater to your growing baby’s everyday nutrient needs. Try out some exciting ways to prepare buckwheat recipes and share with us!
- 10 Easy & Yummy Oats Recipes Your Baby Will Love To Eat
- 2 Easy And Quick Peas Recipes For Your Baby
- 3 Quick And Easy Spinach Recipes For Your Baby
- 6 Simple Steps To Prepare Squash For Babies
Latest posts by Deepa Balasubramanian (see all)
- 6 Useful Tips To Store Formula Milk For Your Baby - June 30, 2017
- Cervical Mucus And Ovulation - Everything You Need To Know - January 9, 2015
- Can You Ovulate More Than Once Per Month Or Cycle? - December 31, 2014
- 10 Essential Things You Should Definitely Do Before Getting Pregnant - December 30, 2014
- Chickenpox During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms, Risks & Treatments - December 30, 2014
- Pregnancy After Tubal Ligation - Causes, Risks & Side Effects - December 12, 2014
- 7 Pros And Cons Of Getting Pregnant In Your 30s - November 26, 2014
- Is It Safe To Lose Weight During Pregnancy? - November 24, 2014
- Allergies In Babies: Causes, Symptoms And Treatments - November 7, 2014
- Ototoxicity In Children - 16 Symptoms & 4 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - November 5, 2014