Has your baby just started weaning? Are you thinking of introducing rice water in his diet? Do you wonder is rice water good for babies? If you answered yes to any one of these questions, you might want to read our post.
Rice water is the starch that forms on boiling rice. Most mothers prefer feeding the baby rice water before introducing mashed rice in their diet. Before you begin feeding your baby rice water, you should know why it is good for babies. Read this post and find out all about rice water and how good it is for babies!
Benefits Of Rice Water For Babies:
There are many benefits of rice water for infants. We list some of them below:
1. Treat Diarrhea:
Rice water for diarrhea for babies? Yes, rice water is an effective cure for diarrhea and other gastrointestinal problems. A research paper by British researchers concludes that oral ingestion of rice water could efficiently decrease stool output in babies (1). It helps treat mild to moderate gastroenteritis. Take one cup of rice water and boil it in 3 cups of water for 15 minutes. Give your baby 4 oz. of rice water every four hours or until the symptoms abate.
[ Read: Symptoms Of Gastroenteritis In Babies ]
Did you know that rice water could help cure your baby’s eczema? As incredible as it sounds, it’s true. Young babies are often victims of eczema, a common form of dermatitis. The condition is extremely uncomfortable. Take 2 cups of rice water and mix it in your babies bathing water. The oils present in rice will moisturize your little one’s skin, soothing the dry patches of eczema.
Rice water can also help bring your baby’s fever down. Simply, boil the rice in 2 to 3 cups of water until the rice is cooked. Strain the water and feed it to your infant in small portions.
[ Read: Baby’s First Foods ]
4. Provides Energy:
Regular consumption of rice water helps energize your infant instantly. Rice water contains high levels of carbohydrates that help fulfill your baby’s energy requirement after a long day of play. Also, rice water is easily digestible.
[ Read: Benefits Of Coconut Water For Babies ]
A Word Of Caution:
If your baby hasn’t had rice water, you might want to consult your pediatrician before you include it in the diet. If your baby is allergic to barley and oats, then there is a chance he may be allergic to rice as well. Some symptoms of rice allergies include:
- Stomach ache
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty in breathing
Drawbacks Of Rice Water:
Rice water does not contain enough minerals or proteins to serve as a replacement for the minerals your baby loses during diarrhea. It also lacks potassium and sodium, which are the most important minerals. If a baby suffering from diarrhea loses around 10% of his body weight, he may experience severe dehydration (2). Get him to a doctor immediately.
Remember, rice water should not replace milk or formula milk as it does not contain enough nutrients. You can mix rice water with formula powder if you do wish to combine both.
[ Read: Dehydration In Babies ]
How To Make Rice Water?
Making rice water is extremely easy and requires minimal ingredients.
You Will Need:
- Two tablespoons of rice
- 1 cup of water
- Place rice in a saucepan and add water to it. Boil until the rice is tender.
- Strain the rice and collect the water.
- Your rice water is ready.
- Dilute the rice water and plain water before serving to your baby.
[ Read: When Can Baby Drink Water ]
To conclude, you can safely introduce rice water in your tot’s diet, but only after consulting your pediatrician. And never replace rice water for breast milk or formula milk. Now that you know the benefits of rice water for baby share this post with fellow moms.
When did you introduce rice water to your infant’s diet? How did he react to it? Tell us below.
- 10 Best Brown Rice Recipes For Your Baby
- Top 10 Gluten Free Recipes For Your Baby
- 7 Amazing Benefits Of Dry Fruits For Babies
- 3 Health Benefits Of Lentils For Babies
Latest posts by Arshi (see all)
- 200 Most Attractive And Hot Guy Names That Women Love - August 23, 2017
- 50 Latest Mormon Baby Names For Boys And Girls With Meanings - May 19, 2017
- 15 Major Festivals Of India Your Kid Should Know - September 15, 2016
- 107 Festive Themed Christmas Baby Names For Boys And Girls - September 8, 2016
- 40 Valentine's Day Inspired Baby Names For Boys And Girls - May 31, 2016
- Top 25 Unicorn Coloring Pages For Toddlers - May 23, 2016
- 83 Popular Gender Neutral Or Unisex Baby Names - May 17, 2016
- 50 Terrific Baby Names That Mean Angel For Boys And Girls - May 16, 2016
- List Of 20 Best Schools In Jaipur - May 16, 2016
- 15 Top And Best Schools In Surat City - May 12, 2016