Are you confused about what solid food you should give to your baby? It’s a different game altogether when you have to think so much before feeding your little one, isn’t it? In addition to all this, you get contradicting opinions from different sources that make you even more apprehensive about introducing any new food to your baby.
Wheat is one such food which is quite debated upon. Wheat, also being one of the most allergenic foods, is always suggested to be introduced to your baby with caution and at the right age.
But before you start introducing wheat to baby, let us delve into its importance on health for your little one.
Health Benefits Of Wheat For Babies:
Wheat is the most popular grain all over the world. It is even beneficial for your baby. Here are a few benefits of wheat:
1. Best Source Of Carbohydrate:
The reason wheat is consumed in huge quantities is because it is a rich source of carbohydrates. Carbohydrate is used to generate energy that we require for performing any physical or mental activity. Your little one also needs energy to perform her daily activities. Thus it is a good energy source for your little princess.
2. Improves Digestion:
Proper digestion is beneficial for your kid’s health. When the digestive system does not function properly, it leads to other diseases. Wheat is quite easily digestible. Also, it keeps the intestines healthy and reduces the chances of flatulence.
[ Read : Oats For Babies ]
3. Rich In Vitamins And Minerals:
Wheat is a good source of vitamin B and other minerals that are essential for the overall development of the body. It also contains chlorophyll that helps in purifying the blood. Vitamins and minerals also help in mental development.
4. Improves Oral Health:
Food made from wheat requires extensive chewing which indirectly helps in improving oral health. It helps in improving the blood circulation in gums. It also prevents cavities.
[ Read : Coconut Water For Babies ]
When To Introduce Wheat For Baby?
As mentioned-above, there are different opinions about when you can introduce wheat to your little one.
A few experts recommend that you can start when she is as young as 6 months. On the contrary, few others think that you should wait at least for 1- 2 years before feeding any wheat-based recipe to your baby. But recent studies show that delaying in introducing wheat to your baby has no specific reason. You can start any time after six-months.
Remember, it is necessary that you consult your doctor before you introduce wheat in your baby’s diet because he knows more about your baby’s health and family history.
[ Read : Grape Juice For Baby ]
Points To Consider:
As wheat is considered to be in the list of food that can cause allergies, you should be careful before feeding any wheat recipes for babies:
1. Choose Simple Wheat Recipes:
After consulting your doctor when to introduce wheat to your baby, it is necessary that you choose simple recipes. Initially, you can select processed wheat rather than whole wheat that could be too heavy for your little one.
[ Read : Carrot Puree For Babies ]
2. Avoid Wheat Flour:
Introducing wheat is fine, but she should be kept away from wheat flour. It could become a potential reason for wheat allergy.
When your baby breathes wheat particles, it enters her blood stream and her immune system starts reacting to it. This increases her chances of developing an allergic reaction.
3. Delay If Your Baby Shows Signs Of Asthma:
If you feel that your baby is showing signs or symptoms of respiratory problems or asthma, it is advisable you delay or avoid giving wheat to your baby. Your doctor may then suggest other less risky staple diet.
[ Read : Barley For Babies ]
Before you rustle up any wheat-based dish for your little bundle of joy, consult your doctor. We hope this information helps you, and you give your baby what is best for her.
- 10 Easy & Yummy Oats Recipes Your Baby Will Love To Eat
- 10 Health Benefits Of Chickpeas For Babies
- 3 Quick And Easy Spinach Recipes For Your Baby
- 4 Health Benefits Of Buckwheat For Babies
Latest posts by Palak Shah (see all)
- Is It Safe To Eat Rambutan During Pregnancy? - November 4, 2015
- Gonorrhea During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - January 2, 2015
- Is It Safe To Donate Blood While Breastfeeding? - December 31, 2014
- Kitchen Safety For Kids - Rules And Tips You Need To Know - December 31, 2014
- 4 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Insect Bites In Babies/Infants - December 26, 2014
- 4 Health Benefits Of Wheat For Your Baby - November 27, 2014
- 7 Effective Tips On Making Your Restless Baby Sleep - October 10, 2014
- Is It Safe To Have A Transvaginal Scan During Pregnancy? - October 10, 2014
- 5 Remedies To Get Rid Of Clumsiness During Pregnancy - October 7, 2014
- How Does Caffeine Affect Fertility In Men And Women? - September 29, 2014