Does your teen turn to you to solve his peer-problems? Does your teen struggle with issues at school but detests your intervention? Well, if you can relate to either of these contrasting situations reading this post may be a good idea.
As parents, we always want to protect our children from the worries of the world. But do you know when your child steps into his teens it’s time for you to switch gears as a parent? You need to teach your adolescent to be more responsible for his actions and more empathetic in his reaction. Check out this post to help your teen build his problem-solving skills. Find out how you can help him understand the situation, consider the consequences and explore the solutions so that he can overcome the problems. Want to know more? Read on!
Steps To Solving Teenage Problems And Solutions:
The following steps will help your child to solve most of the problems with ease.
1. Identify The Problem:
The first step is to teach your child to identify the problem. Ask him about the current situation and how he wants it to turn out. Also, encourage him to approach the problem with a positive attitude.
Tell him to focus on the issue, not the person or the emotion. It will help him face the problem bravely rather than suffer from anxiety and frustration.
Listening is very critical to problem-solving skills. Tell your child to listen without arguing or debating. Encourage him to use statements like ‘I need, I want, I feel’.
4. Generate A Solution:
Sit down with your teenager and encourage him think about all the possible ways to solve the problem at hand. Ask your child to reflect on his experience during an earlier crisis. Your child may come up with a variety of solutions. Some of them will also be unrealistic. Let him explore his creative abilities. Do not discourage him.
[ Read: Motivating Teenagers ]
5. Evaluate The Solution:
Teach your child to evaluate the pros and cons of each of the possible solutions. Help him omit the options in which the negatives outweigh the positives. It will help your child sort out the most promising solution.
[ Read: Building Self Confidence In Teenagers ]
6. Put The Idea Into Practice:
Now tell your child to implement the idea that can resolve the crisis. Encourage him to give his best and see how it works. Your goal should be to allow your child to solve the problems independently, without much intervention.
7. Evaluate The Outcome:
Lastly, evaluate the outcome of the solution. The solution may take time to work. Also, at times you cannot solve problems in one attempt. So tell him to try all the possible solutions and prepare backup plans. It will also teach your child to not give up easily in life. Then ask your child the following questions:
- What has or hasn’t worked well?
- What can be done differently to make the solution work more smoothly?
[ Read: How To Communicate With Teenagers ]
- Problem-solving skills will teach the teens to find constructive solutions to problems. It will strengthen your child’s empathy skills. These abilities are valuable in both social and work situations.
- It will help your child learn about the positive implications of another person’s intentions.
- Problem-solving skills will teach your child to listen and think calmly and to respect the opinions of other people.
- Kids do not have the skills to solve their problems by birth. We have to help them to develop these skills. When teens inculcate the skills to resolve conflicts by themselves, they will feel more independent, mature and responsible. It will help them face the bigger challenges that life throws at them confidently.
Instead of being a strict parent be a friend for your teen, so than he can count on you for advice without any inhibitions.
If you have a teen at home, tell us how you helped him turn a trouble-shooter. Please share your experience and tips here.
- 7 Effective Tips To Deal With Anger Management In Teenagers
- Top 10 Causes Of Stress In Teens
- 8 Simple Tips To Talk With Your Teenagers In The Right Way
- 5 Effective Life Lessons For Your Growing Teen
Latest posts by Arshi (see all)
- 200 Most Attractive And Hot Guy Names That Women Love - August 23, 2017
- 50 Latest Mormon Baby Names For Boys And Girls With Meanings - May 19, 2017
- 15 Major Festivals Of India Your Kid Should Know - September 15, 2016
- 107 Festive Themed Christmas Baby Names For Boys And Girls - September 8, 2016
- 40 Valentine's Day Inspired Baby Names For Boys And Girls - May 31, 2016
- Top 25 Unicorn Coloring Pages For Toddlers - May 23, 2016
- 83 Popular Gender Neutral Or Unisex Baby Names - May 17, 2016
- 50 Terrific Baby Names That Mean Angel For Boys And Girls - May 16, 2016
- List Of 20 Best Schools In Jaipur - May 16, 2016
- 15 Top And Best Schools In Surat City - May 12, 2016