Are you suffering from a blood clotting disorder while nursing, and has your doctor advised Heparin injections for your condition? Are you unsure of the safety of Heparin injections, as you are breastfeeding? If these questions have your worried, then it’s probably time you read our post. So, scroll down to learn more about heparin and breastfeeding and how safe is it to have Heparin injections while breastfeeding.
What Is Heparin?
Heparin is a blood thinner that doctors recommend to prevent the development of blood clots, usually in your arteries, lungs, and veins. The medicine belongs to a class of drugs popular as anticoagulants. Heparin helps produce a natural anti-clotting protein in your body to prevent your blood’s ability to clot, which in turn prevents clotting (1).
Is It Safe To Have Heparin While Breastfeeding?
Yes! It is totally safe to have heparin while nursing an infant since the drug does not pass into the breast milk. The molecules of the drug are too large to pass into your breast milk, so there are no possible side effects of having the medication while breastfeeding. However, you need to consult your doctor before you go for a heparin injection. Your doctor will recommend the right doses of the drug to prevent or treat blood clotting disorder while you are nursing your dear little one. Also, make sure you do not continue the medicine for greater than 10 to 12 weeks while breastfeeding as it increases the risk of osteoporosis (2).
Heparin And Breastfeeding – The Uses:
Even though Heparin’s prominent function is to prevent and treat hazardous blood clots in your body, you can also use it to treat various other conditions. Find below some of the prominent conditions that Heparin injections can cure.
- Blood sampling
- Blood clotting disorders
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Atrial fibrillation
- Pulmonary emboli
- Blood transfusions
- Wheelchair-bound individuals
- Unstable angin (3)
Heparin Dosage To Follow:
Doctor injects heparin into your vein or under the skin but never into a muscle. You can have the heparin injection one to six times a day. Your doctor may also give the medicine as a slow, continuous IV drip. The dosage of the drug largely depends on your medical condition, weight, and your response to the treatment. Your doctor may also train your caretaker at home to inject heparin at home after your delivery. Make sure that the caretaker follows the doctor’s instructions very carefully and do not inject more or less than the prescribed dose (4).
Side Effects Of Heparin Breastfeeding:
Even though it safe to have heparin injections while breastfeeding, some of you may experience adverse effects of the drug. Find below some common side effects of heparin.
- Fever or chills
- Watery eyes
- Runny nose
- Blood clotting in your leg resulting in swelling, pain, or inflammation in one or both the legs
- Sudden numbness or fatigue
- Sudden acute headache
- Problems with vision or balance
- Slurred speech
- Chest pain
- Sudden cough
- Excessive sweating
- Unusual bleeding
- Rapid breathing or difficulty while breathing
- Pain, warmth, inflammation, or skin changes in the area where you take Heparin injection.
- Bluish-colored skin
- Mild itching in your feet (5)
If you experience any of the above symptoms after taking a Heparin injection while breastfeeding, stop taking the drug and see your doctor immediately. Blood clotting disorder is a difficult problem to face, but with proper care and the right line of treatment, you can get recover rather easily.
Did you take Heparin injections while nursing your dear little one? How did you benefit from it? Share experience regarding Heparin nursing implications with fellow moms here. Leave a comment in the section below.
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016
- 12 Health Benefits And 10 Facts About Oranges For Kids - June 16, 2016
- 16 Joyous Luau (Hawaiian) Party Ideas For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 35 Lesser-Known Facts About Great White Sharks For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 30 Unknown Sound Wave Facts And Information For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Can Kids Drink Kombucha? - Know Here! - May 27, 2016
- Tea Tree Oil For Kids - 15 Uses And 9 Safety Tips - May 18, 2016
- Top 10 Hockey Facts, Rules, And Safety Tips For Kids - May 13, 2016