Drinking tea is a ritual that most women carry on even while they are pregnant. Tea is good for an individual for it contains polyphenols to protect the heart, nutrients that boost the immune system and antioxidants that help to lower your risk of cancer.
In the recent years, herbal tea has become quite popular. Herbal tea is an infusion of leaves, seeds, roots, or bark, in hot water. It does not contain any tea leaves. In drinking a well-steeped herbal tea, we get all the plant’s benefits in an easily digestible form. The infusion of various herbs provides medicinal benefit to the tea drinker.
Is Herbal Tea Safe During Pregnancy?
Herbal teas are delicious and there are a thousand combinations to choose from. However, not all herbal tea can be consumed during pregnancy. Not all natural ingredients mean that they are safe.
- Many of the herbs can be harmful to pregnancy. Some herbal tea can be consumed in moderation as they have a concentrated infusion of the herbs as compared to cooked food.
- FDA does not have much data on the various herbs so there are many of the herbal teas are unapproved by the FDA as they do not know the effect of the herb on the developing fetus.
[ Read: Caffeine Intake During Pregnancy ]
Benefits Of Drinking Herbal Tea During Pregnancy:
Fortunately, there are herbal teas specifically recommended as pregnancy-friendly teas. These teas are good to be consumed during pregnancy and will not cause any complications.
- They hydrate the body when drinking plain water is not preferred.
- Herbal tea provides various nutrients needed by the body while pregnant.
- Unlike coffee, herbal tea does not have caffeine.
- They help in lowering anxiety and stress levels.
- They alleviate morning sickness levels.
- They help to prepare the uterus for labour.
[ Read: Drinking Coffee During Pregnancy ]
List Of Safe Herbal Teas During Pregnancy:
Here is a list of 8 teas which you can consume while expecting.
1. Raspberry Leaf Tea:
One can drink one cup of this herbal tea per day from the 24thweek. The tea is high in calcium and magnesium. The tea prepares the uterus for labour and prevents post-partum hemorrhage.
[ Read: Raspberry Leaf Tea During Pregnancy ]
2. Ginger Tea:
People who suffer from morning sickness can consume ginger tea. It aids digestion and relieves stomach problems. You can consume 2-3 cups per day.
3. Peppermint Tea:
Consuming peppermint tea during early pregnancy is good as it helps ease nausea and vomiting. It also helps to relax the stomach muscles.
4. Rooibos Tea:
A potent concoction, this tea is great during pregnancy. It has loads of antioxidants, calcium, and magnesium. It is good for digestion and eases reflux.
[ Read: Green Tea During Pregnancy ]
5. Nettle Tea:
This herbal tea has a high level of nutrients like iron, calcium and magnesium. It is a good tea for pregnant women.
6. Dandelion Tea:
This tea is high in potassium and has a gentle but effective diuretic effect. This helps when water retention is a problem during pregnancy.
7. Lemon Balm Tea:
This tea has a calming effect. It helps to relieve irritability, insomnia, and anxiety during pregnancy.
8. Chamomile Tea:
This tea helps with sleeplessness and inflammation of joints. It is a good source of calcium and magnesium.
Teas To Be Avoided:
Prevention is better than cure. Take a look at the list of herbal teas to avoid during pregnancy.
1. Sage Tea :
This tea is not good for you as it has thujone. This has been linked to high blood pressure and miscarriage.
2. Parsley Tea:
This is another tea to be avoided as it can affect the development of the baby growing inside you and increase the risk of miscarriage.
3. Some Other Teas To Avoid:
It is also best to avoid teas with herbs like guarana, kola nut, betel , theobromine, Citrum aurantium, yohimbe, Garcinai cam pennyroyal, bogia, golden seal, black walnut, Cascara sagrada, saw palmetto, wormwood, tansy, senna, and pao d’arco.
We are sure you found this piece interesting. If you are pregnant, you are bound to reap a bounty of health benefits by drinking herbal teas throughout your term. We all know that with pregnancy comes joy and also a lot of physical discomfort. Consuming Herbal tea during pregnancy will surely ease both physical pain as well as mental strain.
So the next time you feel your muscles strained or cannot bear a nagging headache, pour yourself a cup of aromatic herbal tea, and let it do the trick!
Share with us which is the perect brew for you mommes.
- Is It Safe To Drink Hot Water During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Drink Green Tea During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Drink Lemon Water During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Drink Coffee During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Maanasi (see all)
- List Of 20 Best Schools In Nagpur City - April 25, 2016
- 25 Fun Facts And Information About Monkey For Kids - April 11, 2016
- 30 Top CBSE Schools In India For Your Kid - March 31, 2016
- 20 Top And Best Schools In Kanpur - March 31, 2016
- 20 Top And Best Schools In Indore - March 31, 2016
- List Of 20 Best CBSE Schools In Pune - March 23, 2016
- List Of 30 Best Schools In Delhi - March 23, 2016
- 30 Top And Best International Schools In India - March 18, 2016
- 25 Unknown Wolf Facts And Information For Kids - March 15, 2016
- List Of Top 15 CBSE Schools In Bangalore - March 14, 2016