- 15 Best high chairs for your baby
- What is a high chair?
- When can babies start using high chairs?
- Why do you need a high chair?
- Types of high chairs
- How to choose a high chair for your baby?
- How to keep the baby’s high chair clean?
- Safety tips for parents
It is such a sight to see babies eat on their own. But what about the mess they make when they do?
If your baby is old enough to eat solid food, you must give them their rightful place at the dining table by getting them a high chair. A high chair lets the child enjoy their meal as they want while limiting the mess to where they are seated.
- Designed for children aged between six months and three years old. Constructed from BPA-free material and is JPMA certified.
- Collapsible design with removable legs, which makes the chair portable.
- An adjustable eating tray that moves forward and backward. You can also turn out the tray completely to place the infant in the chair without any obstruction.
- Baby-proof knobs and lockable tray prevent the baby from accidentally folding the chair or other foldable components of the chair.
- Seat belt to secure the baby firmly.
- Foldable legs make it convenient to store the chair without disassembling.
Shop Related Products:
- Made from durable and sturdy plastic that can carry up to 15kg.
- The high chair is easy to disassemble and carry.
- Wipe with a cloth dipped in a warm, soapy solution to clean any mess easily.
- Raised edges of the tray prevent spillovers to the floor.
- Tray with integrated armrests has more space to place the food.
- Has a three-point seat belt that secures the child from two sides.
- Divider to keep each leg in a different compartment prevents the child from sliding off the chair.
Shop Related Products:
- It is an eco-friendly product made from sturdy wood sourced from sustainable forests.
- The wood undergoes heat sterilization and is hygienic, with no bacteria in it. The chair is BPA-free.
- Cushioned seat and backrest allow the baby to sit for long and eat at ease.
- The high chair has a five-point harness for maximum safety.
- Four-point adjustable chair height with the maximum seat height being 24.6in (63cm).
- Easy to assemble with screws. You can also buy additional seat and back pads.
Shop Related Products:
- A functional 3-in-1 design that lets you use it as a high chair, a sitting stool, and a stand-alone low chair for the baby.
- Easy to assemble and switch between the various modes quickly.
- The build material is easy to clean and low maintenance.
- The seat features a three-point harness for extra safety of the baby.
- Available in two colors.
Shop Related Products:
- Lightweight and portable chair made from durable fabric and can be easily folded.
- The soft vinyl tray with a cup holder is easy to clean and folds neatly when you wrap up the seat.
- Metal legs ensure rigidity without compromising portability.
- Comes with a five-point harness for the safety of your baby. Meets the US and EU safety norms for high chairs.
- You also get a shoulder bag with a strap, for carrying the high chair easily.
Shop Related Products:
- Compact, one-step folding design.
- The chair stands on its own and is easy to store once folded.
- Comes with a removable tray that is easy to clean.
- A front guard rail keeps the baby securely in the chair even when the tray is removed.
- It features a three-point harness. The high chair supports a weight of 50lbs (22.6kg).
- The seating pad can be easily cleaned with a damp cloth.
- A four-in-one functionality allows you to use it as a high chair, and eventually a booster chair, where you can attach the seat to a standard chair.
- The backrest has a recline function with three options.
- There is a six-position height adjustment facility. Designed for children aged three or less, it has a maximum weight bearing capacity of 60lbs (27.2kg).
- The tray contains a removable, dishwasher-safe tray insert that is easy to clean.
- Built-in cup holder and rims on the tray prevent food and liquids from spilling.
- Removable and adjustable footrest. The chair base contains lockable wheels.
- A rotating high chair with attached footrest and a three-point safety harness, suitable for newborns and toddlers.
- The pneumatic and lockable height adjustment options allow the parent to adjust the chair up and down quickly.
- The harness is removable for easy adjustment of the baby or toddler’s position or posture in the chair.
- Comes with a large, scratch-proof, anti-slip, and adjustable tray. The tray is made from FDA-approved food-grade plastic and stainless steel.
- When you remove the tray, the high chair can work as a toddler chair for easy access to the dining table.
- Concealed wheels within the base allow for easy movement of the high chair.
- A hook-on high chair that you can attach to the dining table directly.
- The lack of chair legs makes this high chair extremely compact and portable. It is also lightweight, at only 7lbs (3.1kg).
- Sturdy metal beams with metal grips hold the table firmly, without making the chair shaky.
- The chair can fit any table with a thickness of up to 2.5in (6.3cm) and can support a weight of up to 37lbs (16.7kg).
- Contains a three-point safety harness to secure the baby. The fabric is made of nylon and can be removed to wash.
- Works great as a travel high chair since you can carry it anywhere you go with the baby.
- A JPMA certified compact high chair that you can strap securely to an existing chair.
- The harness and tray can be removed to transform the high chair to a booster chair that makes the dining table reachable for the toddler.
- The tray is dishwasher-safe and comes with cup holder and rims to prevent the spillage of food.
- There is a groove on the tray to hang a towel or a toy.
- Comes with an adjustable harness that you can convert into a five-point or three-point harness.
- The seating pad is removable, stain resistant, and machine washable.
- The high chair can bear a maximum weight of 50lbs (23kg).
- A three-in-one feature lets you use the high as a baby high chair, toddler high chair, and baby/toddler booster chair.
- The tray has a cup holder and contains rims to prevent the spilling of the food on the floor.
- The tray is easy-to-clean with a sponge or a damp cloth. You can also wash in the sink or a dishwasher.
- Wheels at the base allow you to move the chair easily. Parents can lock the wheel after placing it at a point.
- There is a three-point harness with a cushioned seat for safe and comfortable seating. The removable seat cushion is made of soft silicone and thus waterproof.
- Simply tug at the stand to open the high chair, which features a flexible nylon fabric and sturdy metal legs.
- The tray is foldable and can be moved out when you want to seat or remove the baby.
- The seat fabric is machine-washable and has a pocket at the back to hold towels and other essentials for your baby.
- Folding the chair is easy: just pull a tab at the bottom of the chair to wrap it up.
- Supports children aged between six months and three years, with a maximum weight capacity of 45lbs (20.4kg)
- Made entirely of bamboo and natural colors, this chair has a classic vintage look,
- Three-step height adjustment allows you to use it for babies and toddlers.
- Contains durable harness straps. The base of the chair has a pyramid shape, which prevents the chair from tipping over.
- Easy-to-assemble design. The chair folds into a slim profile for easy storage.
- The wood is easy-to-clean with a cloth.
- Compact foldable design, which makes it easy to store and carry when you travel. Makes an ideal camping high chair for the baby.
- Easy-to-clean with a transparent, removable tray insert that is dishwasher-safe.
- The tray sits on a slide rail with a four-level sliding feature.
- Dedicated footrest allows the baby to plant the feet so that they do not dangle.
- You can remove the soft seat from the chair frame and wash it.
- Comes with five-height adjustment settings and three recline positions.
- Suitable for babies from the age of six months to four years. Can support a maximum weight of 45lbs (20.4kg).
- The tray can be removed and hooked to the lower back side of the chair for convenient storage.
- The seat is removable and machine-washable.
- Wheels at the base of the frame make it easy to move the high chair around. The wheels are lockable.
What Is A High Chair?
According to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission, a high chair is defined as a freestanding chair elevated to a height of more than 15in from the floor, for feeding a child no older than three years (1). A high chair could be sold with or without an attached tray and may have additional features like adjustable height and reclining facility.
[ Read : Babyhug Dolce Vita 3 in 1 High Chair Review ]
When Can Babies Start Using High Chairs?
Ideally, you can start using a high chair when your baby is six months old, the age at which they start on solid foods and can sit without any support from the parent (2).
Why Do You Need A High Chair?
A high chair can be used for the following.
- Comfortably feed the baby while standing or sitting, without the need to lunge or bend forward. That makes high chairs a better alternative to the traditional chairs.
- You can place the baby’s chair at the dining table so that the little one can have meals with other family members.
[ Read : Babyhug Urban 4 in 1 High Chair Review ]
- A high chair can stoke the baby’s interest in solid food. Babies learn by imitation and eating with the family will encourage them to eat solid foods like the others at the table do.
- Since the baby stays seated in one place, cleaning the mess after a meal will be easier.
To get the most out of a high chair, it is important to invest in the right one.
[ Read : Babyhug Foodjoy High Chair Review ]
Types Of High Chairs
High chairs come in different designs, including:
- Traditional: It is a basic high chair with a standard design. These chairs are budget-oriented and have few or no extra features.
- Modern: Modern chairs are similar to traditional chairs with additional features such as adjustable height, reclining back support, food tray with a cup or spoon holder, etc.
- Multi-stage convertible: These are usually three-in-one chairs that begin as a high chair for the baby, and convert into a sitting chair for a toddler, and finally a sitting stool for an older toddler.
- Stand-alone booster chair: Booster chairs convert a standard chair into a high chair for toddlers. Since they do not come with a stand/legs, such chairs are also called space saver chairs.
- Travel: These are foldable chairs that can be carried easily when you travel with the baby.
- Hook-on: Hook-on chairs clip to the dining table directly and do not have an attached tray. They convert the dining table into a baby’s high chair table.
- Twin high chairs: These chairs are large and contain seats for two infants, and are ideal for twins. They tend to be bulky and space consuming, which makes them very uncommon even in households with twins.
- Fabric: Fabric chairs attach to a standard chair to convert it into a high chair. They are easy to clean as the material is usually machine-washable. However, fabric chairs are less common and are not as practical as the other options.
[ Read : R for Rabbit Cherry Berry Grand Review ]
Read on, and we’ll tell you how to pick the right chair for your baby.
How To Choose A High Chair For Your Baby?
Consider the following checklist when planning to get a high chair for your baby:
- Your baby’s age: High chairs are usually designed to carry the weight of a baby of a specific age. So check the recommended age by the manufacturer and pick one that is right for your baby’s age, to prevent falls and injuries.
- Safety features: A high chair should have safety features such as a security harness or seat belt, high armrests to prevent the baby from sliding to the side, as well as a splitter in between, that accommodates the legs in a separate compartment each.
[ Read : 1st Step High Chair Review ]
- Look for certifications: Check for stickers or marks that denote certifications from trusted global bodies. Examples include the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA) certification, CE mark, and ASTM rating. You can also check if the product is tested, certified, or flagged by your country’s national consumer protection organization.
- Should be easy to clean: Curves and crevices in the chair design, where the food could get lodged, make cleaning difficult. Therefore, look for chairs that are easy to clean. Any fabric on the chair should be preferably removable and washable.
- It should be convenient to store: It is best to get a high chair that consumes minimal space yet serves its purpose. Foldable high chairs make a great option since they can be folded and stored away without taking up a lot of space.
You can select one high chair or multiple depending on your requirements. A portable chair is ideal if you tend to feed your baby at multiple places, other than at the dining table, in the house.
Disclaimer: MomJunction may earn a commission when products are purchased through affiliate links given in the article. However, this partnership does not influence the editorial content featuring in our list.
How To Clean A Baby High Chair?
The best way to keep a high chair clean is by following the manufacturer’s instructions. Here are some other tips to remember while cleaning the high chair.
- Take out the tray or tray insert for washing: Most high chairs have a removable tray or tray insert, which should ideally be washed with soap and water in a sink or a dishwasher if it is compatible.
- Wipe the chair with a damp cloth: Use a cloth or sponge soaked in warm soapy water and wipe the remainder of the high chair. Make sure to clean the crevices and the grooves where the food may get lodged.
- Wash the seat pad and harness: If the seat pad and harness is washable, then remove it and wash it once in a week.
Besides hygiene, safety is the most critical aspect to consider before putting your baby in a high chair.
[ Read : Babyhug Grace Dining Chair Review ]
Baby High Chair Safety Tips For Parents
Here are five crucial tips to use your baby’s high chair safely:
- Always strap the harness: Even if it is for a few minutes, never leave the child without a harness.
- Set the correct recline level before feeding: The high chair could recline backward completely, but your child should be seated in an upright position when they eat solids to reduce the risk of choking.
- Never leave a baby alone in a high chair: Never leave the baby alone in a high chair, even if it is a few seconds and the harness secures them. Your baby may move or shake the chair in your absence, which can disturb the balance and lead to a fall.
- Check if the screws and joints are tight: Check periodically if the screws and joints are locked-in tightly. The joints are bound to get loose over a period, and keeping them under check is vital.
- Do not let an older child sit on a high chair: A high chair is only meant to bear the weight of children up to the age of three years. Do not let a child older than three sit on the chair. It can loosen or damage the joints of the high chair causing it to fall and injure the baby.
[ Read : Babyhug Fun Feast High Chair Review ]
High chairs can help build a baby’s solid food eating habits. However, their usefulness is limited for a couple of years or so until your baby is a toddler. So it is safe to invest in a chair that meets your requirements and is not a burden on the pockets.
- Chicco Baby Products For Little Ones
- Top Soaps For Babies
- Best Baskets For Baby
- Baby Product Brands
- Syga Baby High Chair Review