Are you pregnant and planning to begin some simple pregnancy exercises to stay as fit as you can? Or do the occasional bouts of pain make you feel that some therapeutic exercises might just do the trick? Is the hip one of your problem areas?
If you are looking for some exercises that will work on your hip area while you are pregnant, check out our story below.
Hip Exercises During Pregnancy:
Here are a few exercises that will take care of hip pain during pregnancy and also strengthen those muscles:
1. Side Leg Raise:
It will help strengthen the muscles on the side of your hips.
- Stand straight behind a table or a chair with your feet slightly apart.
- Lift your leg about 6 to 12 inches outwards to the side. Make sure your back and legs are straight and toes are facing forward.
- Slowly lower your leg. Repeat with the other leg.
- Repeat until you complete at least 10 to 15 times with each leg.
2. Hip Flexion (Flexing):
It will help to strengthen your hip muscles.
- Stand behind or to the side of a chair or a table.
- Slowly bend your left knee and bring it towards your chest for as far as you comfortably can. Make sure you stand straight and do not bend at your waist or hips.
- Hold it for a few seconds and slowly lower your leg down to the starting position.
- Repeat with the other leg.
- Keep alternating between both the legs till you complete about 15 repetitions with each leg.
[ Read: Exercises to Avoid During Pregnancy ]
3. Hip Extension:
This is one of the effective hip exercises while pregnant, that will help to strengthen your hips.
- Stand about 12 to 18 inches away from a chair or table and keep your feet slightly apart.
- Bend towards the front from your hips and take a 45-degree angle. Make sure you hold the chair or table to balance yourself.
- While you are in position, slowly lift your left leg straight behind you. Do not bend your knee and make sure you do not point your toes or bend your upper body forward. Hold the position for a few seconds.
- Slowly lower your left leg back to its starting position.
- Repeat the steps with the other leg. Keep alternating between both the legs till you have repeated the same for about 15 times with each leg.
- Take a break and then repeat the process to complete a set of 8 to 15 alternate repetitions using each leg.
[ Read: Kegel Exercises During Pregnancy ]
4. Kneeling Stretch To Ease Hip Pain:
This is one of the best hip stretches during pregnancy, that you must try. Use the exercise to relax your hip muscles and relieve any pain you may experience in the hip area.
- Place yourself on the floor by putting both your hands and your knees on the ground.
- Let your hip be up in the air for some time. Now slowly bring your head down towards the floor. Make sure you do not do it too quickly, as it can increase the pain in the round ligament or cause a pulled muscle. A sudden movement in the position can also make the blood rush suddenly to your head and make you feel dizzy or lose balance.
- Repeat the stretch a few times and whenever you feel the pain in your hip area.
[ Read: Stretching Exercises For Pregnant Women ]
5. Sit Down Stretch:
Use the simple sitting down exercise that can help remove any discomfort in the hip area while you are pregnant.
- Sit down on the floor. Place your knees apart and your feet together in a classic butterfly sitting pose.
- Bring your feet inwards towards you as much as you comfortably can. Slowly bend forward till you feel a mild stretch in your hip area.
- Stay in the position for about five seconds. Sit up straight and repeat for about 20 times.
Remember to take your doctor’s approval before doing any exercise while you are pregnant, and stop if you feel the slightest discomfort.
So what are you waiting for, try out these hip exercises during pregnancy today? What hip exercises did you do during pregnancy? Do share them below.
- 8 Simple Steps To Do Butterfly Exercise During Pregnancy
- 7 Precautions For An Effective Pilates Workout During Pregnancy
- 7 Amazing Health Benefits Of High-Intensity Exercises During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016