Pregnant women may encounter frequent aches and pains in several body parts, such as their legs, back, and hips. Hence, consider trying some hip exercises during pregnancy to help relieve discomfort around your lower back and hips or stay fit during this time. These exercises may also help strengthen your muscles.
However, we recommend first discussing these exercises with your doctor to determine the ones that suit your condition. In this post, we have put together some effective hip exercises you may practice during pregnancy to relieve pain and strengthen your hips.
Hip Exercises During Pregnancy:
Here are a few exercises that will take care of hip pain during pregnancy and also strengthen those muscles:
1. Side Leg Raise:
It will help strengthen the muscles on the side of your hips.
- Stand straight behind a table or a chair with your feet slightly apart.
- Lift your leg about 6 to 12 inches outwards to the side. Make sure your back and legs are straight and toes are facing forward.
- Slowly lower your leg. Repeat with the other leg.
- Repeat until you complete at least 10 to 15 times with each leg.
2. Hip Flexion (Flexing):
It will help to strengthen your hip muscles.
- Stand behind or to the side of a chair or a table.
- Slowly bend your left knee and bring it towards your chest for as far as you comfortably can. Make sure you stand straight and do not bend at your waist or hips.
- Hold it for a few seconds and slowly lower your leg down to the starting position.
- Repeat with the other leg.
- Keep alternating between both the legs till you complete about 15 repetitions with each leg.
[ Read: Exercises to Avoid During Pregnancy ]
3. Hip Extension:
This is one of the effective hip exercises while pregnant, that will help to strengthen your hips.
- Stand about 12 to 18 inches away from a chair or table and keep your feet slightly apart.
- Bend towards the front from your hips and take a 45-degree angle. Make sure you hold the chair or table to balance yourself.
- While you are in position, slowly lift your left leg straight behind you. Do not bend your knee and make sure you do not point your toes or bend your upper body forward. Hold the position for a few seconds.
- Slowly lower your left leg back to its starting position.
- Repeat the steps with the other leg. Keep alternating between both the legs till you have repeated the same for about 15 times with each leg.
- Take a break and then repeat the process to complete a set of 8 to 15 alternate repetitions using each leg.
[ Read: Kegel Exercises During Pregnancy ]
4. Kneeling Stretch To Ease Hip Pain:
This is one of the best hip stretches during pregnancy, that you must try. Use the exercise to relax your hip muscles and relieve any pain you may experience in the hip area.
- Place yourself on the floor by putting both your hands and your knees on the ground.
- Let your hip be up in the air for some time. Now slowly bring your head down towards the floor. Make sure you do not do it too quickly, as it can increase the pain in the round ligament or cause a pulled muscle. A sudden movement in the position can also make the blood rush suddenly to your head and make you feel dizzy or lose balance.
- Repeat the stretch a few times and whenever you feel the pain in your hip area.
[ Read: Stretching Exercises For Pregnant Women ]
5. Sit Down Stretch:
Use the simple sitting down exercise that can help remove any discomfort in the hip area while you are pregnant.
- Sit down on the floor. Place your knees apart and your feet together in a classic butterfly sitting pose.
- Bring your feet inwards towards you as much as you comfortably can. Slowly bend forward till you feel a mild stretch in your hip area.
- Stay in the position for about five seconds. Sit up straight and repeat for about 20 times.
Hip exercises during pregnancy help improve your overall fitness and promote healthy weight gain. Exercises, including hip flexion or hip extension, will help strengthen your hip muscles, and stretches, such as kneeling stretch or sit down stretch, can reduce the discomfort from the hip area. Remember to take frequent breaks and keep yourself hydrated during the exercise regimen. It is advisable to consult your doctor before starting any exercise and also avoid if you are not comfortable with any movement.
- 8 Simple Steps To Do Butterfly Exercise During Pregnancy
- 7 Precautions For An Effective Pilates Workout During Pregnancy
- 7 Amazing Health Benefits Of High-Intensity Exercises During Pregnancy