- Prep Up Before Taking Homemade Pregnancy Tests
- Homemade Pregnancy Tests
- How To Increase The Accuracy Of Homemade Pregnancy Tests
- How Accurate Are Homemade Pregnancy Tests
“A homemade pregnancy test?” Angela asked Eva. She has heard of home pregnancy test kit, but when Eva told her that she could actually make one at home, Angela couldn’t believe. She didn’t understand how one make and use a pregnancy test at home.
Homemade pregnancy tests are non-medical ways being used since the times when the scientific pregnancy kits were not invented. Isn’t it interesting to have a pregnancy test at home without a kit?
Momjunction is here to give you detailed information about such tests. They are especially useful if you have an unplanned pregnancy. Moreover, you can also avoid the hassle of getting pregnancy kits from the pharmacies.
Prep Up Before Taking Homemade Pregnancy Tests:
Use the first urine you pass in the morning as it will be more concentrated than the urine you pass later. This will give you the best result.
Drink a lot of water so that your bladder is full. You should be able to feel the pressure, and an urge to urinate before you take the test.
[ Read: Ways To Check Pregnancy Without Test ]
12 Best Homemade Pregnancy Tests
|Pine Sol||Mustard Powder|
|Tylenol & Peroxide||Dandelion Method|
|Tuna & vinegar||Wine|
Below mentioned are some of the most commonly used and effective pregnancy test kits that you can make at home. All you need are the natural ingredients available in the kitchen or any local store. They are neither expensive nor take time for preparation. You make them as per your convenience and use them when needed. Without further ado, we’ll share the secrets with you:
1. Bleach Pregnancy Test:
Here is a very reliable method called bleach pregnancy test. It gives you the result quicker than other tests:
- Take a container, and collect the urine.
- Add bleaching powder to it, and mix it properly to avoid lumps.
- If it starts to foam and fizz, it means you are pregnant.
- If there is no foam, it means you are not pregnant.
Note – Do not be too close to the bleach as the fumes are dangerous. When inhaled, they can make you feel nauseous and dizzy. If you touch it with your hands accidentally, use a concentrated soap solution to clean your hands.
2. Sugar Pregnancy Test:
Sugar test is the easiest of all the DIY homemade pregnancy tests, and it was widely used when there were no commercial pregnancy test kits. Here is how you can test for a pregnancy with sugar:
- Take about one tablespoon of sugar in a bowl.
- Add approximately one tablespoon of urine to the sugar.
- Notice how the sugar reacts after you pour urine on it.
- If you see sugar forming clumps, it means you are pregnant. On the other hand, if the sugar dissolves quickly, you are not pregnant.
- The hCG hormone will not allow the sugar to dissolve in urine.
3. Toothpaste Pregnancy Test:
How do you use toothpaste to detect your pregnancy? No matter what the toothpaste is, as long as it is white in color, you can use it for testing.
- Take two tablespoons of white toothpaste in a container.
- Add the urine sample to the container having toothpaste.
- Notice if the toothpaste changes its color. If it turns blue or frothy, it is positive.
4. Vinegar Pregnancy Test:
Vinegar, another common kitchen ingredient, helps you detect your pregnancy. Here is how you can do vinegar pregnancy test with vinegar.
Note: Use a plastic container and white vinegar for this test.
- Take a little vinegar in a plastic container.
- Add your urine to it and mix properly.
- You may notice bubbles while mixing. Let it stand and observe the color.
- If the color of the vinegar changes, it means you are a pregnant.
[ Read: Signs And Symptoms Of Pregnancy ]
5. Soap Pregnancy Test:
This product commonly found in your home makes another ingredient for the pregnancy test. The best part is you can use almost any type of soap, irrespective of its color, fragrance or type. Know how you can do this homemade soap pregnancy test with soap.
- Take a piece of soap that is big enough to hold in your hands.
- Now pour urine on the soap and notice the reaction.
- If it forms bubbles, it means you are pregnant, and if there are no bubbles, you are not pregnant.
6. Baking soda Pregnancy Test:
Here is how you can perform this homemade baking soda pregnancy test.
- Take two tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl.
- Add the collected urine to the baking soda, and observe it.
- If you notice bubbles that you usually find while opening a soda pop, you are pregnant.
7. Pine Sol Pregnancy Test:
The accuracy of the result makes pine sol a popular method for checking pregnancy. It has been a traditional homemade pregnancy test and continues to be a favorite among women. Pine Sol is an anti-bacterial agent made of twigs, needles, cones and other parts of a pine tree. Here is how you can do the pine sol pregnancy test:
- Take a small amount of pine sol in a cup.
- Add a sample of urine in the cup.
- Mix them properly and wait for some time so that pine sol gets submerged in the urine.
- If there is a change in the color, it indicates your pregnancy.
8. Dandelion method Pregnancy Test:
These cute and adorable dandelion leaves can help in detecting your pregnancy. The test procedure is considered to give accurate results. So, wondering how dandelion pregnancy test works?
- Take out a few fresh leaves of the plant and lay them on a plastic sheet. Keep them out of the direct sunlight.
- Now add urine all over the leaves to submerge them.
- Wait for at least ten minutes. If there are red blisters on the leaves, then you are pregnant.
9. Tylenol and peroxide Pregnancy Test:
These both are commonly found in our homes. For the pregnancy test, use only branded Tylenol that is in the form of white capsules. Do not use liquid gel type capsules. Here is how you can do tylenol and peroxide pregnancy test :
- Crush two Tylenol tablets and put the powder a clear glass bowl.
- Pour peroxide so that the powder turns fizzy.
- Now add a teaspoon of first urine to the above mixture.
- Notice the changes. You may see the solution turning blue, which indicates you are pregnant.
[ Read: Urine Test For Pregnancy ]
10. Mustard powder Pregnancy Test:
This is a tricky method as you use mustard powder as a part of warm soak, unlike the above concoctions. Mustard powder is considered as a period inducer, and if you miss your periods, you can do mustard powder pregnancy test to know if you are pregnant or not.
- Fill the bathtub with warm water and add 1/2 – 3/4 cup of fresh mustard powder.
- Soak in the water for at least half an hour so that the mustard works on your body.
- Once you are done, take a shower using normal water.
- Wait for about two to three days for your periods to resume. If it does not happen, you may be pregnant.
11. Tuna and vinegar Pregnancy Test:
Tuna juice and vinegar is another best homemade pregnancy testing method. You are most likely to get an accurate result with tuna and vinegar pregnancy test.
- Take equal amounts of tuna juice and vinegar in a container. Mix them properly.
- Now add half a cup of urine to the above mixture.
- Observe for some time to see any changes in the color.
- If the mixture attains greenish color, it means you are pregnant. If it turns yellow, you are not pregnant.
12. Wine test Pregnancy Test:
Wine pregnancy test is another reliable test that gives you accurate results. It has also been in vogue since ancient times.
- Take half a cup of wine and half a cup of urine.
- Mix both of them.
- It takes about ten minutes for a reaction to occur.
- If the original color changes, it means you are pregnant.
[ Read: When To Take A Pregnancy Test ]
How To Increase The Accuracy Of Homemade Pregnancy Tests?
You may tend to make some mistakes while testing your urine sample. Keep the below points in mind to avoid such situations:
- Use the first urine of the day as it has concentrated hCG levels.
- Use plastic containers and spatula for collecting urine samples, and other ingredients.
- Collect a considerable amount of urine as too little of it may not be sufficient to give the right result.
- Wait for at least five to ten minutes as the reaction may take more time than expected at times.
- You may repeat the method to make sure the result is right.
- Do not disturb or shake the test samples while performing the test.
[ Read: Dollar Store Pregnancy Test ]
How Accurate Are Homemade Pregnancy Tests?
Homemade DIY tests are not 100% accurate. The accuracy only depends on the hCG levels in the urine. Though these tests work similar to pregnancy kits, it is not as easy sometimes to detect the results because:
- The time to conclude the result is difficult to interpret.
- Chemical reaction may vary depending on the ingredient quantity and quality
- There is no such calculated ratio of ingredients to urine.
Therefore, even if you get a negative result in the homemade pregnancy test, you might still be pregnant. Examine yourself using a commercial test kit and then contact your gynecologist to confirm your pregnancy.
Did you try any of these tests? Or know of any other methods? Write down your experiences in the comment section below.
- Calculating Expected Date of Implantation
- Treatments to Ease Back pain During Pregnancy
- Most Common Mood Swings During Pregnancy
- Remedies For Bloating During Pregnancy
- Free Online Pregnancy Test – Am I Pregnant Quiz?
Latest posts by Rebecca Malachi (see all)
- 32 Best Essential Oils To Improve Fertility In Men And Women - October 11, 2018
- Birthing Ball Exercises During Pregnancy, Labor And Beyond - September 28, 2018
- Lightning Crotch: Causes, Symptoms And Tips To Deal With It - September 28, 2018